• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Can't get fuel pump to prime....Ideas???

Keith517

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I swapped fuel tanks on my sled now I can not get the fuel pump to pick up fuel. The sled ran fine, I pulled it into the shop swapped out the tanks, It fired up at first ran for a few seconds then died now it will not start.

I hooked up a 12v battery and ran the fuel pump but would still not pick up fuel. I then unhooked the fuel line from the fuel rail and ran the fuel pump with the 12v battery and still nothing. I can hear the fuel pump running but it will not pick up fuel. I pulled the fuel pump back out of the tank just to check it out and can not see anything wrong with it.

The sled only has 300 mile on it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Make sure the polarity is correct and your not spinning the pump backwards.
If thats correct you can apply a small amount of air pressure to the fuel tank through the vent line while powering the pump. When I say small, I mean only a couple PSI. Eric

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
The pump to wiring harness connector should prevent a reverse polarity situation. It only connects one way.

Easiest would be to pour more fuel into the tank. If you didn't pour enough in initially, the rear pick-up may be sucking air.

Did you rinse out the new tank to ensure there wasn't any crap in it????

I switched out the OEM tank in favor of a Trail Tank on my 09 RMK. Poured 5 gallons into the new tank, pulled the rope 5 times and it started right up.

d8grandpa

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 27, 2010
Alberta
If you have the pump out of the tank, pull gently on the diaphragms. Sometimes they stick shut and they won't allow the pump to pick up fuel.

Keith517

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thanks for all the reply's so far. I have the tank clear full of fuel. I checked the diaphrams when i pulled them out the second time. They seemed to move well.

On the polarity I used the plug on the PTO side of the sled by the front shock tower. I used the red wire as positive and the brown as negative. As fare as I understand that is the way that it should go. (this is on a 2015 pro). Is this correct?

I will try putting a little pressure to the tank through the vent hose.

Thanks again!!

B
Dec 19, 2012
Leduc County, AB
In addition to gummed up pickups... You could have a cracked/broken pump nipple or a cracked/broken hose inside the tank.

Or, luck of the draw... your fuel pump went bad during the operation.

I know this is an old thread but I am experiencing the same issues on my 15 with 450 miles. What exactly do you guys mean by testing with a 12v battery? A battery tester or a charger?
Thanks

Premium Features