• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Can I keep it???

H

Hilly

Jul 6, 2001
Esko, Mn
According to Brett in his last blog post the new M8 is a toss up against the New Pro RMK in the deep and steep. What makes this sled better than the former M series is all the other things it now does better! I for one am happy and can't wait. Check out Brett's Blog:nod:

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
http://riderasmussenstyle.blogspot.com/?spref=fb

"So we had another 18" of snow on top of what we already had. How can we be getting all this snow so late in the year? It's so awesome to have this kind of snow to test the 2012 sleds in.The Arctic Cat mountain sleds have never been known as having extremely plush suspesion. Things have obviously changed with this sled. Thanks to the suspension team at Arctic with asistance from Todd Tupper, this sled rocks in the bumps. The trail into North Murphy is about 8 miles of rough moguls. First section is wide groomed chop about 8 - 10 inches. The M 800 will eat these up comfortabley at 90 MPH plus. Got to say I was pleasantly surprised. The next section is a narrow groomed trail with 18 inch chop. This ca be negotiated at 40 MPH with out any feed back from the handlebars nor any kick or bottom out from the skid. next we experienced a single wide ugroomed section with 2 1/2 foot bumps. This was much slower and I could bottom out when pushing to hard. However, much better than anything I have ever ridden from the factory.The one issue was cornering at speed in any one of these situations, the sled tends to roll. Not to much of a problem to deal with, after all it's not designed to be a trail sled.
Comparing to Chris Burandts' new Polaris RMK Pro, I saw no difference in performance in a powder hill climb. It was who ever got the best line"

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
Good review. This is good news now we have another choice in the mountain segment.

For me it is a decision to go with the ProRMK or the M8 period. Sounds like both will be awesome sleds.

The test rider has been on M's for several years and have had several of them. I am convinced he would is going to feel more comfortable on a Cat than a Polaris in just ones days testing. Several things about cat are still the same. The bars the adjustable height etc.

I am more used to Polaris sleds so I am probably going to be more comfortable on the Polaris after a day of test rides. Just seems to be the way it works.

The good news is it sounds like we have 2 awesome tree sleds to choose from.

Thanks for the review.

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
I'm still wondering what happened to the 1000 with DI and the 4 stroke lower case? was to have made 190 hp. Hmmm would prob weigh 500. I'll be a might cranky if I buy a 1100 and this comes out next year.

S

samiams2

Nov 14, 2009
MN...stupid poser flatlander

"So we had another 18" of snow on top of what we already had. How can we be getting all this snow so late in the year? It's so awesome to have this kind of snow to test the 2012 sleds in.The Arctic Cat mountain sleds have never been known as having extremely plush suspesion. Things have obviously changed with this sled. Thanks to the suspension team at Arctic with asistance from Todd Tupper, this sled rocks in the bumps. The trail into North Murphy is about 8 miles of rough moguls. First section is wide groomed chop about 8 - 10 inches. The M 800 will eat these up comfortabley at 90 MPH plus. Got to say I was pleasantly surprised. The next section is a narrow groomed trail with 18 inch chop. This ca be negotiated at 40 MPH with out any feed back from the handlebars nor any kick or bottom out from the skid. next we experienced a single wide ugroomed section with 2 1/2 foot bumps. This was much slower and I could bottom out when pushing to hard. However, much better than anything I have ever ridden from the factory.The one issue was cornering at speed in any one of these situations, the sled tends to roll. Not to much of a problem to deal with, after all it's not designed to be a trail sled.
Comparing to Chris Burandts' new Polaris RMK Pro, I saw no difference in performance in a powder hill climb. It was who ever got the best line"

At least we can have a little more confidence in me brett's "biased" reviews everyone has been complaining about. Seems like he is being pretty straight forward. That would have been the perfect thing to leave out if he was trying to sway people to the cats.

Not super excited about seeing no difference with a sled that has 20 hp less.

H

Hilly

Jul 6, 2001
Esko, Mn
If you think about what he has said you know you have an already stout M series (current) that others have just caught (polaris). And now it has been improved upon. All its short comings. ie: ride, trail manners while keeping its already ledgenary deep snow ability has IMO been brought to a new level. Thank You Cat I can't wait to take delivery. :nod:

Daltech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 25, 2008
North Norway
At least we can have a little more confidence in me brett's "biased" reviews everyone has been complaining about. Seems like he is being pretty straight forward. That would have been the perfect thing to leave out if he was trying to sway people to the cats.

Not super excited about seeing no difference with a sled that has 20 hp less.

The ones who actually belive the 11 poo engine is 20 hp less then the AC 800, are really belivers.
There`s no way there`s that of a difference. Dynos of the cat HO 800 over here shows 156-159 hp. A 11 Poo 800 that is past break in whit several hundres miles shows 150-155 hp.
So there`s nothing strange whit performing equal between these two. Poo actually has sorted out the performance of their 800 this year. If they learned something on the way, it will be even better next year.

I do bleed green, but I`m also a realist.

C

cobaltpilot

Nov 26, 2007
BC

"......The Arctic Cat mountain sleds have never been known as having extremely plush suspesion. Things have obviously changed with this sled. Thanks to the suspension team at Arctic with asistance from Todd Tupper, this sled rocks in the bumps. The trail into North Murphy is about 8 miles of rough moguls. First section is wide groomed chop about 8 - 10 inches. The M 800 will eat these up comfortabley at 90 MPH plus. Got to say I was pleasantly surprised. ..."

Anyone else wonder about this 90mph claim?

I don't think any of my mtn sleds will even do 90mph.

powder pounder

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
Ya I don't think a m8 will do 90 mph little owne through the bumps. Maybe ment 90 km he. Lol

C

cobaltpilot

Nov 26, 2007
BC
I was thinking the same re: kph vs. mph.

Even so, sounds like a nice suspension improvement from previous years.

I'd sure like to get some seat time on a 2012 M8SP....

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
Anyone else wonder about this 90mph claim?

I don't think any of my mtn sleds will even do 90mph.

fairly certain he just meant it handled it incredibly well, and could go any speed you want...

I think we are all trying to read too much into every comma and period...

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
http://riderasmussenstyle.blogspot.com/2011/03/black-mountain-ride-2k.html

"It's good that Tony brought a paper towel to wipe the smile off my face. You Cat fans who are ready for an upgrade can rest assured that this will qualify for your next ride. I spent all day and about 48 miles in deep heavy,power robbing snow. Ran out of gas twice and nevr got more than ten miles from the truck. I stayed in the trees all day long hill climbs, descents, side hills, down hill u turns. and i must have been pinned nonstop. The Pro climb 800 is easy to transition to, after you find gthe balance point, the rest falls into place. The 800 cc powerplant is the same old dependable package that Cat has has used since '10. I think the torque link between the engine and the jackshaft is what makes the engine so rippy, now the track will spin imedaitly instead of the engine rocking back.
Going to get some video done tomorrow. Maybe get some pictures and video posted when i get better internet service. Got to go now. Check back for report tomorrow. "

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
"My Dealer told Me"

Bretts reports help- sure didn't know that Poo had the 155hp in the 800 up that far in HP.. "My dealer" said the poo was still way down .. Haa. Haaaaa.
Checked 800 Sp 163 Friday!:present:

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
http://riderasmussenstyle.blogspot.com/2011/03/300-mile-update.html

"300 mile update
After a couple of days rest I thought I should comment on the general performance of the new mountain sleds from Arctic Cat. The 800 cc two stroke is outstanding. Very dependable and apparently it likes to be pressure charged based on Tapios performance at the Jackson World Championship Snowmobile Hill Climb. Tapios were running Boondocker turbochargers. The report I received is that they are considerably faster on the new chassis with less boost than on the old chassis, I'll try to follow up on this with some boost numbers.
My sleds had over 1000 miles on them when i picked them up and plenty of riders had previously shaken them out. I don't think that anyone ran them as hard as I did given that we were riding in a couple feet of new snow each day. I pushed both sleds extremely hard in the deep snow and extreme terrain. I have to say that they come out in reasonably good shape. Only lost the 800 once and the tree could have been a lot harder on it, a little bit of duct tape and i was on my way again.
As I reported earlier the suspension is second to none, absolutely remarkable. Might play around with some different settings on the shock pressures if I get enough time. I would like to see a little more firmness on the front end to improve the cornering on the trail.
With the help of the Power Claw track the sled seems to get up on the snow just fine. Being in fresh snow as we were this can be a big challenge, the sled was predictable in this sense and didn't trench out until I completely lost momentum. At this point it was easy to turn out and save a stuck for someone else.
I felt that i could build more track speed than the old M series, the sled definitely has more legs and can build more speed on a run in to the hill. This has got to come from the drive train being more efficient at higher speeds.
I enjoy the running board width. Plenty of room for even the biggest of feet, easier to clean than the M series and I like being able to get further forward on the sled. The stirrups allow the rider to get forward in line with the track drive shaft. The instrument mounting is great. I can actually see the thing from a stand up riding position. Arctic is using the same controls as the M series, OK but I am finding the hand and thumb warmers are continually being shut off when I lean forward. This is an easy fix however, Arctic offers an accessory switch guard to protect the warmer switches as well as the emergency shut off switch from being shut off inadvertently. Mountain handle on the handlebars functions well. I like how the master cylinder reservoir is located below the highest point on the handlebar. This offers some protection from damage when the sled is upside down. Skis are good, the addition of the traction nubs on top of the ribs are nice for the times when i find myself trying to stand on the ski to help right the chassis. Ski loops allow both hands to pull without pinching fingers, great idea.
I've been reminded that some riders prefer the horizontal steering post as it comes on the 1100t and the standard model 800. Tapios prefer the over the motor post for uphill racing and do very well by it. I agree that if your ride technique causes you to generally be straddle of the seat as opposed to both feet on the same running board then the horizontal post will work just fine. It's the extremely steep and technical terrain that when the rider finds himself on one running board or the other that the vertical post makes a huge difference. Over the last several years i have converted a number of Ski Doo riders to the vertical post concept, and I must say it did not come easy. However after giving it a chance those riders, you know who you are, can push harder in steeper terrain. I am not saying that the vertical post is for everyone, but I am saying that you have a choice. Arctic Cat is offering the vertical post kit as an accessory item for those models that don't come from the factory so equipped.
Got to run for now, still working on pictures. "

J

Jimb

Dec 1, 2007
well I read his blog post on the 1100T and 800, pretty clear what he thinks of the horz. stearing.

Premium Features