• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Boost Detonation Issue

R

Reddragon800

Feb 26, 2013
I see from the manual now that the primary spring is actually 165/310. I will try a a softer spring to start as it is easier to change. And for the Doo not detonating it is because it doesn't build as much boost. I'm sure if I dialed back the Boost it wouldn't detonate either. I will overcome this little issue and be farther ahead than riding a whale..
Going to a softer primary spring will take response away. If this problem persists, the whale will start looking real good.. lol. "polarisboostlife"

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
or poo could figure out how to generate comparable horsepower amounts w/o that much boost as doo has done and control det. why run an engine with more boost than required unless that's just how that engine was designed...

Last edited:
R

Reddragon800

Feb 26, 2013
The Doo is getting better but still a boat anchor when stuck and I ride with them and have to help lift them, so not until they lose another 30lbs.
Your polaris bias meter is strong.... LOL. Polaris boost 165 2.75 - 447lbs Dry (the new 3.25 will add a few lbs to that number) - Skidoo turbo R 165 3" - 456lbs. Thats with shot start.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Your polaris bias meter is strong.... LOL. Polaris boost 165 2.75 - 447lbs Dry (the new 3.25 will add a few lbs to that number) - Skidoo turbo R 165 3" - 456lbs. Thats with shot start.
The Boost is heavier than I like too. It would take Doo to lose 30 lbs to get me interested as I don't like the handling. I wouldn't be able to argue with 30 lb loss. My Doo friends are first to admit that the Polaris seems light coming out of a stuck compared to the Doo. I did however have a lighter NA 850 last season so this season might be different. And SHOT means nothing to me. Maybe you need to own it to appreciate it??

M
Dec 3, 2018
Some regions just have crappy fuel too, I live in one of them. It says 91 at the pump, but it performs more like 89. I have one gas station that I can get 93 at, and that's where I go. My car has individual knock sensors for each cylinder and a great display for showing them, so I can immediately tell when I am getting poor quality fuel, and frankly its pretty much everywhere in my region.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Some regions just have crappy fuel too, I live in one of them. It says 91 at the pump, but it performs more like 89. I have one gas station that I can get 93 at, and that's where I go. My car has individual knock sensors for each cylinder and a great display for showing them, so I can immediately tell when I am getting poor quality fuel, and frankly its pretty much everywhere in my region.
Thank you for some worthwhile experience and not the "throw the baby out with the bathwater" response of others. It could be bad fuel that the dealer put in? My dealer has been very good so far so I am going the clutching route to start.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Thank you for some worthwhile experience and not the "throw the baby out with the bathwater" response of others. It could be bad fuel that the dealer put in? My dealer has been very good so far so I am going the clutching route to start.
I think with goridedoo’s experience with his missing secondary bushing it might be worth putting eyes on the guts of both clutches?

My brother’s 24 9R was shipped with the wrong weights and would overev det.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
SHOT is one of those things that doesn't seem like a big deal. Then you spend the day on a sled with it and it becomes a must-have for your next sled.
30lbs is not nothing but it def wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. i'd take reliability over that any day.

Last edited:

jeeper8650

Premium Member
Oct 18, 2016
I have lost a few plugs on my 22 and 23 boost over the course of ~3000 miles. Sometimes it seems random (like on a failed bowtie where it DET during it) but most other times its when it switches back to ethanol gas mode. I found the default is Ethanol and when the little 7s battery dies it switches back. I check it everytime I take off now,

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
I believe the Doo compensates for fuel through its sensor signals to the ECU.
The Polaris Boost has intermittent det that the ECU compensates for until it gets a big enough spike. Then you get the det code. The det sensor “may” be on the low side of specs. I would borrow one from a buddy that doesn’t get det and see if it follows. Orientation and torque is crucial.
Did you check to make sure the FP/Temp sensor plug is seated?

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I believe the Doo compensates for fuel through its sensor signals to the ECU.
The Polaris Boost has intermittent det that the ECU compensates for until it gets a big enough spike. Then you get the det code. The det sensor “may” be on the low side of specs. I would borrow one from a buddy that doesn’t get det and see if it follows. Orientation and torque is crucial.
Did you check to make sure the FP/Temp sensor plug is seated?
Haven't done anything yet, just reporting first ride excperience so those with experience can send me in the right direction. Things to look for like your response are great. Thank you for that, I will take a look for the fuel pressure/temperature sensor. (assuming that is what you mean?)

M
Dec 3, 2018
It could absolutely be low quality fuel. Before I got too excited about doing anything, I would burn that tank up (or pull the fuel out) and fill it up with good fresh gas.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
mabe check and make sure the pipe is not touching the bumper. Could be vibration sent to the det sensor?

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Well the pipe does rub on the bumper on alot of the matryx sleds, see 4 of them for sure, and we just added shims to the bottom of the pipe bracket. Just a suggestion.

Premium Features