• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Boost Detonation Issue

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I got my 24 Boost out for first ride this past weekend. It is obviously in break in mode but most times I would grab a handful of throttle it would warn me of detonation or if I held it harder it would go to limp mode requiring a restart. Is this normal during break in? I tried in both 91 fuel mode and ethanol mode. The ethanol was a little better. My fuel was 91 and fresh but the dealer put in about 1/3 of a tank so not sure about that? Riding from 2000-6500ft, and it did it at all elevations, maybe slightly worse down low.

H

High Velocity

Nov 27, 2007
Hinton, Alberta
Well that’s disappointing to hear. My ‘23 did exactly the same thing and I was hoping the new map would correct that problem. I’d rather not have to run Av Gas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
2-6000 feet….. what clutching is in it? Stock for 6-8000’?

Is it over revving 8700+ rpm or over accelerating in the low to mid rpm?

Own 4 Boosts— no DET issues all on pump gas.

If you have an @EZLYNK you can log DET channel/ knock sensor. Look for 1500+ mV on sensor channel. If you don’t have one, murph10 discount code is still active on their site.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Not really interested in finding 94 octane or AV gas as it is harder to find where i ride.
2-6000 feet….. what clutching is in it? Stock for 6-8000’?

Is it over revving 8700+ rpm or over accelerating in the low to mid rpm?

Own 4 Boosts— no DET issues all on pump gas.

If you have an @EZLYNK you can log DET channel/ knock sensor. Look for 1500+ mV on sensor channel. If you don’t have one, murph10 discount code is still active on their site.
Thanks, I was punching the throttle but as it was new I wasn't holding it long enough to tell if it was really over-revving. Yes stock clutching and I assume that is the problem. It has primary 160/340 with factory turbo weights??, 46 degree straight helix and not sure about the secondary spring.

H

High Velocity

Nov 27, 2007
Hinton, Alberta
Not really interested in finding 94 octane or AV gas as it is harder to find where i ride.

Thanks, I was punching the throttle but as it was new I wasn't holding it long enough to tell if it was really over-revving. Yes stock clutching and I assume that is the problem. It has primary 160/340 with factory turbo weights??, 46 degree straight helix and not sure about the secondary spring.

Exactly what my ‘23 did when new and on. Was not over revving and I ride similar elevations. My buddy’s ‘23 also had the same issue. Only cure was more octane. I used 10 liters of 100LL per tank and my buddy used about 4-5 liters of 114 per tank. Both methods eliminated the DET issues, but neither of us wanted to continue buying expensive fuel for a pump gas turbo. Polaris was aware of the mapping issue and recently released new mapping which has been updated on my sled in the last few days. Fingers crossed that the issue is resolved.

R

Reddragon800

Feb 26, 2013
Now you know why everyone is going to a skidoo turbo. They actually work. I had to run 93/94 to stop the DET. on my boost. Another issue is the straigth 46 helix. Not enough helix to stop the initail RPM spike. you wont see it on the gauge but it will sometimes show DET due to initial over rev. One simple fix to load more off the bottom is to get rid of the stock secondary spring (160/240) and go with a red/pink (140/260).

H

High Velocity

Nov 27, 2007
Hinton, Alberta
Now you know why everyone is going to a skidoo turbo. They actually work. I had to run 93/94 to stop the DET. on my boost. Another issue is the straigth 46 helix. Not enough helix to stop the initail RPM spike. you wont see it on the gauge but it will sometimes show DET due to initial over rev. One simple fix to load more off the bottom is to get rid of the stock secondary spring (160/240) and go with a red/pink (140/260).

Well, we don’t want them perfect or it may cut into the profits the aftermarket makes fixing Poo’s mistakes.

H

High Velocity

Nov 27, 2007
Hinton, Alberta
I have first person experience with 6 boost sleds that run great on 90 octane.

Your sled has a problem.

Bring it to your dealer?

22’s or 23’s ? The DET issue I’ve seen is unique to the 23’s, hence the reason Polaris has new mapping available for affected 23’s.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
I got my 24 Boost out for first ride this past weekend. It is obviously in break in mode but most times I would grab a handful of throttle it would warn me of detonation or if I held it harder it would go to limp mode requiring a restart. Is this normal during break in? I tried in both 91 fuel mode and ethanol mode. The ethanol was a little better. My fuel was 91 and fresh but the dealer put in about 1/3 of a tank so not sure about that? Riding from 2000-6500ft, and it did it at all elevations, maybe slightly worse down low
Good luck finding the issue, only thing we found that worked was add 10-12 liters of av or 110.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Agree on this doo statement, 3 last year switched and 3 more this year.

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA

primary spring is 165/310
weights are 14-76
secondary spring seems to be the same as last year
helix is 46 straight for high elevation, 58/46/.36 for low elevation

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I see from the manual now that the primary spring is actually 165/310. I will try a a softer spring to start as it is easier to change. And for the Doo not detonating it is because it doesn't build as much boost. I'm sure if I dialed back the Boost it wouldn't detonate either. I will overcome this little issue and be farther ahead than riding a whale..

Premium Features