• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Boost Detonation Issue

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Thanks damx and IDspud.

I too have seen the pipe rubbing the pipe on AXYS so I assume Matryx won't be different. I will go over it closely when I am back to my sled over the Christmas break. Snowing there now!

mt.sledder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Saskatchewan
I plan on carrying a 4 ounce bottle of Boostane professional in my handlebar bag just as a precaution for bad fuel situations. If I hit det I'll add a couple ounces to jack up the octane and rule out poor fuel. I struggled with det issues last spring big time. It wasn't poor fuel because a 50/50 av gas mix did nothing to fix it. The dealer replaced the det sensor which did nothing, then they replaced the primary injectors. By that time there was no snow left so I never got a chance to try it out. I took it for a 1/2 mile ride a couple weeks ago and it seems to run good now but there just wasn't enough snow to give it a good test. This is a 22 165 boost

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
I plan on carrying a 4 ounce bottle of Boostane professional in my handlebar bag just as a precaution for bad fuel situations. If I hit det I'll add a couple ounces to jack up the octane and rule out poor fuel. I struggled with det issues last spring big time. It wasn't poor fuel because a 50/50 av gas mix did nothing to fix it. The dealer replaced the det sensor which did nothing, then they replaced the primary injectors. By that time there was no snow left so I never got a chance to try it out. I took it for a 1/2 mile ride a couple weeks ago and it seems to run good now but there just wasn't enough snow to give it a good test. This is a 22 165 boost
unacceptable to have to deal with that. sucks.

T
Aug 6, 2008
I got my 24 Boost out for first ride this past weekend. It is obviously in break in mode but most times I would grab a handful of throttle it would warn me of detonation or if I held it harder it would go to limp mode requiring a restart. Is this normal during break in? I tried in both 91 fuel mode and ethanol mode. The ethanol was a little better. My fuel was 91 and fresh but the dealer put in about 1/3 of a tank so not sure about that? Riding from 2000-6500ft, and it did it at all elevations, maybe slightly worse down low.
What track do you have on each?

E
Feb 22, 2009
It’s unfortunately our fuel Chris, all of it has 10% ethanol in it now the new regulations are in place as of last month. They have been phasing it out all summer long. There is no longer any ethanol free gas in BC. All grades must have at least 10 percent regardless of what the pump says - it has ethanol in it. Your only solution is to run a bit of race, av or boosters. They will not run here without hitting deT with our fuel. It’s been an ongoing issue that we have been dealing with all summer here. It’s causing all kinds of issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I've had the same problem with my '23. I've tried both ethanol and non-ethanol modes and got detonation. My buddy has the same sled, we fuel up together and he's not getting detonation. I also got some codes for fuel injector issues. I wonder if those injector issues caused bad fuel/air mixture, that could have led to detonation. Anyway, my sled is at the dealer for new injectors and harness.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
If all the pump gas I had access to had ethanol, I'd probably bite the bullet and run avgas - on a boosted sled for sure, but probably my 800 too. Much more chance of a random bad tank of gas with eth, no way you can go more than a couple months before it starts going bad (meanwhile, my chainsaw gas is over a year old, eth-free premium, and it's going fine on it); I'd bet you'd save the extra price for avgas on not burning up a motor in the long run. Of course, I know where I could just drive up and fill my sled or cans, about $7/gal. Not sure if it's so easy, or even legal in CA though. Of course, once you start running 100 octane, running the stock boost level just seems like a big waste...

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
UPDATE! Just came off 2 weeks of flawless running with the Boost. The detonation problem was unrelated to the fuel or anything Polaris did. It was actually self inflicted.
I was running a speedometer calibrator that corrected the speed sensor output pulse to correct for my gear down kit. Appearantly this calibrator produced lower voltage output than the OEM speed sensor. My 23 Matryx with standard gauge is fine with it but the Boost must have more on-board diagniostic monitoring and cut the engine power briefly when the "Speed Sensor Low Output Voltage" code popped up. (I hadn't noticed this as it clears on a re-start) This sudden chop in engine power caused the detonation. I just wanted to let everyone know that detonation may be a by-product of what seems to be a completely un-related problem.

T
Dec 19, 2007
Well, what you’re telling me is I shouldn’t get the Speedo calibrator? I was thinking of getting one…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features