• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Black Hills Conditions

skivoice

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 1, 2012
Aberdeen, SD
We rode out of Trailshead today. SNOCOP IS spot on, trail 1 north was ok, trail 3, 3b, 1 south to 11 and back was super smooth, bumped some gravel in a few spots on the south side of some hills or in really wide open areas. Rode some off trail it wasn't great but not horrible either. I honestly feel that the trails are WAY better than it was in Feb. Of last year. That 2 to 4 would go a long way to help get thru the holiday rush. Out here is way better than any were that it is brown.:face-icon-small-hap

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Have not been that far South lately. Trails good through Black Fox. 8 has snow cover but you will scratch some gravel. Been South on 12, same conditions as 8. Your best hope for Deerfield would be 1 South then across 9 or 12 South to 1 to 9 and across. I would not recommend 2 until more snow.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
4 inches of new snow last night, more predicted for Friday night and Saturday. Groomers are out today working in the new snow. I did make to Deerfield (Mountain Meadows) yesterday. Had no problems. 9 was good all the way across, 2 from 9 to Mountain Meadows id thin. I cut across the lake to avoid that section of 2. I would not recommend taking the lake if you never had before. I would not trust the ice yet past gold run and if you missed gold run going to the lodge you might run into trouble. With this cold weather Deerfield will add some good ice.

Sturgis Sledder

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2003
Sturgis, SD
Took the new sleds to us out yesterday for a ride, trails are ok at best, snow covered but dragging the skags on what’s under. Rode from Savoy to Trailshead, played off trail and you have to be watching for land mines BIG TIME, found some over the hood powder, NO base, and some logging trails that were untouched. My first time off my old Summit 670 and on an 800, this sled is going to be CRAZY FUN. Saw a lot of folks out on the trails and they were seriously rough by the end of the day. Found some lost gear out on the trail, got it to the rightfull owner, should have written some tickets ??, if you know what I’m talking about, you were the “owner”. It was a FREEZING -1 when we got back to Savoy. No damage and quite a few miles, all in all a good day. Snow is seriously needed, and lots of it.

stumpjumper007

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
Eastern SD
Took the new sleds to us out yesterday for a ride, trails are ok at best, snow covered but dragging the skags on what’s under. Rode from Savoy to Trailshead, played off trail and you have to be watching for land mines BIG TIME, found some over the hood powder, NO base, and some logging trails that were untouched. My first time off my old Summit 670 and on an 800, this sled is going to be CRAZY FUN. Saw a lot of folks out on the trails and they were seriously rough by the end of the day. Found some lost gear out on the trail, got it to the rightfull owner, should have written some tickets ??, if you know what I’m talking about, you were the “owner”. It was a FREEZING -1 when we got back to Savoy. No damage and quite a few miles, all in all a good day. Snow is seriously needed, and lots of it.

Yep, pretty much sums it up.... Rode from Englewood area today, 7 was rocky East of 5c where I got on, 7 was good to 5, and good to lewies on 5 and that's where I stopped.... -11 below late this afternoon.... Only traffic I had was one cross country skier... Glad there was one crazier than me with the temps... Never made it south of there...WAY TOO cold for that. But that's how that stretch is fairing fwiw...

moonshiner

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Yankton, SD

Roads from Trailshead today and this pretty much sums up our experience exactly. Did not seem too cold in the morning and by afternoon we were freezing as well!!! Really need more snow.

Sturgis Sledder

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2003
Sturgis, SD
It’s a cold one tonight !!

picture.php

Last edited:
W
Jan 4, 2017
SDSNOCOP not meaning to drive you crazy but has the trail out of Deadwood got any better. Very excited to go out west we are staying in Deadwood. Hoping not to trailer out to trailshead everyday. Thank you for all your updates.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
SDSNOCOP not meaning to drive you crazy but has the trail out of Deadwood got any better. Very excited to go out west we are staying in Deadwood. Hoping not to trailer out to trailshead everyday. Thank you for all your updates.

No problem. Trails into Deadwood have improved but still not real good. I would not ride trail 7 all the way around. Take 7 to 5 or cut up 5c and either take 5 through Rec Springs or 5A through Dumont. You can try it the first day and if you did not like it trailer higher the second day.

W
Jan 4, 2017
No problem. Trails into Deadwood have improved but still not real good. I would not ride trail 7 all the way around. Take 7 to 5 or cut up 5c and either take 5 through Rec Springs or 5A through Dumont. You can try it the first day and if you did not like it trailer higher the second day.

SDSNOCOP thank you very very much we will be out January 20th. Hopefully they get some more snow between now and the 20th. Thanks Rick

bamf

Premium Member
Dec 11, 2008
NESD

The trail out of deadwood is never worth riding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

W
Jan 4, 2017
The trail out of deadwood is never worth riding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I rode the trail every day for a week while I was there on vacation last winter in January and the trail had plenty of snow and was beautiful scenery . I thought it was beautiful. Can't wait to go back.

Last edited:

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
It was warm on Saturday but trails held up in most areas. 2 inches of new snow last night. Temps were much cooler today. Trail riding not bad in most areas especially Central and North. Some are venturing off trail but it is still risky. Riding fire roads not too bad. More snow is predicted next week. My patrol sled turned 5000 this past weekend.

Premium Features