• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Black Hills Conditions

Sturgis Sledder

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2003
Sturgis, SD
Powder day !!

picture.php

W
Jan 4, 2017
SDSNOCOP do you know how the trail is out of Deadwood? Will be out there on Sunday staying at Super 8. Is it possible if we trailer down to Dumont lot could we ride from there? Or do you know any other closer parking lot then Dumont lot that we could ride from. Thank you very much for your help we really appreciate it.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
I talked to a group that rode out of Deadwood today. They said it was thin but ridable, some snow is predicted for tomorrow and tomorrow night. Recreational springs is an option to unload which is closer than Dumont. I rode there today and condition were not too bad. Some thin spots but it improved quick as you ride West.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
4 inches new snow in the Trailshead area possibly more to the South last weekend. Trails are in great shape except for the far East trails. Off trail has gotten much better. Meadows are getting pretty good and the trees are doable if you take it slow. Knee deep in most places with isolated waist deep spots. Most riders were pleasantly surprised by the conditions last weekend.

maasyoak2

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2017
Is there anymore snow in the forcast??? Looking to head out soon but mainly like to keep it offtrail....

W
Jan 4, 2017
SDSNOCOP thank you very much for all your reports you are very helpful to all of us Riders and we really appreciate it. And it was very nice meeting you out on the trail on Thursday. Rick from Peoria,Il

W
Jan 4, 2017
BAMF I do not believe that Todd or Julie from trailshead are out to mislead anyone. I was there all week and I believe their trail reports are spot on. As the other user said one person's trails are great are another person's trails are excellent it depends on what you're looking for.

T
Dec 26, 2007
Any updates on trail conditions?

Looking to make the drive for a week-long trip sometime in early or mid February, and just wondering if the Hills are worth the gamble this year. Been several years since we've been out there, since the reliability of their snow has been so sporadic.

Like to stay at Mystic Hills, but that can sometimes be a problem with thin snow out that direction.

B
Jan 17, 2018
Our group of 10 will be staying and riding out of Trailshead for the first time and making final plans. We assume there are ample opps for gas & food along the trails. Anyone know the price of gas at Trailshead?

T
Dec 26, 2007
Our group of 10 will be staying and riding out of Trailshead for the first time and making final plans. We assume there are ample opps for gas & food along the trails. Anyone know the price of gas at Trailshead?

I wouldn't call food/gas ample in the Hills. More or less, there is a single option north (Spearfish Lodge), south (Mt Meadow), and west (Buckhorn), then obviously Trailshead in the middle. The trail system is geographically small enough though that it is really not that big of a deal.

Going northeast there are more options the closer you get to Lead/Deadwood, but you probably won't be going that direction unless you have to for some reason. Not really prime riding in that part of the Hills.

Trail stops aren't the same quantity and regularity as you might be used to in MN, WI, or the UP.

Also, unless you're getting your gas from one of the stations in or near Deadwood/Lead, the upcharge on on-trail gas is a little painful. Part of riding the Hills.

Last edited:
Premium Features