• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Black Hills Conditions 2

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
If you look on the trail map and find the box on the lower left corner for trail conditions and look to the right of the box you will find section 17. also on the map you will see road 296 veering to the North in section 16. Up to that point 296 follows along the North side of a wide open canyon. Instead of following 296 North follow the Canyon West. There is a faint 2 track through the middle. After leaving 296 you will go approx. 1 mile and the canyon will get narrower and will turn to the South. Immediately look to your Left to find snowmobile tracks going up the hill through the trees. towards the top there will be a bare spot that has been used as a turnaround. The cave will be just below that turn around. There are no signs for the cave.

starrsleds

Premium Member
Oct 18, 2008
ice cave is a must see. we were there on july 4th and still ice in there!! way in the boondocks make sure have plenty of gas

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
No ice in ice cave at this time. The story I have heard regarding the cave is the first settlers to the area would have their 4th of July celebration at the cave so they would have access to ice to make ice cream. There are 2 other caves in the area. Igloo cave drops down and opens up into a room that looks like the roof of an igloo. Due to the protection of bats it is blocked by bars on the entrance. Bear trap cave has an entrance you had to crawl 8-10 feet back, climb down a homemade wooden ladder 12 feet down, walk by a large window that dropped 10-12 feet straight down into another room if you fell into the window but it also had a chute that led into the bottom room. For some reason I have not been able to find the entrance to bear trap cave since the Jasper fire in 2003. I think when I am in the right area I cannot find the entrance because snow has drifted over it due to all the trees being gone.

jeffxc700

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2010
SUX
As we were unloading our bags out of the truck tonight at the deadwood gulch resort, the groomer just went by. Lots of trucks & trailers in town for the rally.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Was cold last night and snow crusted up more. Some this morning were having problems keeping sleds cool this morning, Stayed cool enough up top that the crust did not soften up much. spring like conditions off trail you can go almost anywhere wihout hitting hidden stumps as long as you are not carving hard or trenching. Tommorow is suppose to be in the low 40's up top which should soften the crust and the trails.

jeffxc700

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2010
SUX
Really crusty this morning.. smelled lot of hyfax.. Snow Got better as it warmed up.

Last edited:

03Firecatguy

Mar 12, 2011
Aberdeen SD
Found plenty of untouched areas this weekend. Snow crust on everything with baseless sugar powder underneath. Bounced off plenty of stumps but still had a good time considering the conditions. Trails are getting pretty beat down and icy. Met Snocop off trail today, tags were all good?

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Found plenty of untouched areas this weekend. Snow crust on everything with baseless sugar powder underneath. Bounced off plenty of stumps but still had a good time considering the conditions. Trails are getting pretty beat down and icy. Met Snocop off trail today, tags were all good��

Did you find the Blind Park Snotel site?

Top Notch

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Hartford, S.D.
www.topnotchdetailing.biz
Sdsnocop, how'd they get the grand am out of rough lock falls area?
Can't deny one bit that I wasn't laughing my azz off when we went by it this morning. My wife and I parked there yesterday afternoon to look at the falls.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Sdsnocop, how'd they get the grand am out of rough lock falls area?
Can't deny one bit that I wasn't laughing my azz off when we went by it this morning. My wife and I parked there yesterday afternoon to look at the falls.

That is the first I heard of that one. Looks like I missed one. Not as funny as the taxi I found stuck on the trail several years ago.

Nodaker

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2008
VC, ND
Trails Holding Up?

Wife and I are thinking about coming down this Thurs. for a long weekend, just wondering if the trails are holding up or not since that's where we'd spend most of our unless we can find something in the trees. We can always hold off for a few weeks, just don't want to be there during Pres. Day weekend......

thanks for any updates!

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Trails through the core of the system are still holding up. Trails in the outer edges have taken a hit. Some problems last weekend with keeping cool in the morning due to the trails being hard and icy. They soften throughout the day. The 1/2 to 1 inch of snow Saturday night made a huge improvement on the hard icy conditions. I heard they got a small shot of snow today and some more snow is predicted for Tuesday and Tuesday night. Temps in the 40's predicted up high for this weekend. Trails froze hard but they are smooth.

Nodaker

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2008
VC, ND
Thanks for the update. Sounds like there are plenty of places to stay right now so we'll see how things are holding up before heading out on Thurs.:noidea:
Thanks again!

E
Jan 28, 2015
I'll be going down this weekend and will be riding from spearfish canyon resort and ride down to trails head for lunch. Anyone know how the snow is in between there? Can a guy ride with out bouncing off 10,000 stumps?

J
Aug 31, 2011
8 guys

Hey, I need a honest opinion on how the trails are going hold up this Sat-Monday with this warm up predicted. I have 8 guys traveling 15hrs and some are getting cold feet about going. They are mostly trail riders and with the weather predicted sounds like its not going to be nice. Should we go or should we shoot for the Up of MI?

Premium Features