• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Black Hills Conditions 2

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
www.outdoorsupplyonline.com
If you buy the sled from a licensed dealer they will issue you a 30 day paper plate. If they dont ask for one. If you buy it from a private individual and the sled is not licensed or license is expired you will need to get it licensed before it can be ridden.

And you can get a temporary permit from Rec Springs, Trailshead, etc... for $40 if needed.

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
so its looking pretty brutal prior to prez weekend? It would be lovely If it would go ahead and DUMP on that wednesday so I could drive up Thursday!

Sturgis Sledder

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2003
Sturgis, SD
50's and rain for the weekend predicted. :face-icon-small-fro:face-icon-small-fro:face-icon-small-fro:face-icon-small-fro:face-icon-small-sad:face-icon-small-sad

B
Nov 28, 2007
Sioux Center, Iowa
Just back from Trailshead. Spent 3 days in the trees north of the lodge. Never got more than 10 miles out and had lot of great, untouched riding. Everything came home in one piece. Thanks Bob and Sandy!

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
With the temps predicted Monday and Tuesday I would not hold on to any hope of riding out of Deadwood. The snow will survive up high ok but the marginal areas will take a hit. There are some chances of snow and much cooler weather predicted for next weekend. Today it snowed, drizzled and sleeted most of the day. Hard to keep visors clear. Approx 1 inch new snow. Off trail is setting up much better but you still have to watch out for stumps. Rescued 1 Angus Bull, wrote 2 citations, took an accident report and rode 85 miles today and that was before lunch.

brianwcooper

Premium Member
Mar 10, 2010
Sturgis, SD
We rode from Spearfish Canyon Lodge on saturday and found pretty good snow by Cement Ridge.
d85df5f6ecd127a7eb343da0643b2f33.jpg
13a269ea2bb6ba3613a7dd2e57123e2f.jpg
a53fa954ff8be092acf18d714c162832.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2015
Next week trail conditions?

Trying to decide on trip destination for week of feb 2nd originally planned on trail riding in black hills but with this weeks forecast leaning back toward Mercer, Wi. From Iowa distance is pretty similar. Hoping someone can give me an opinion of what Black Hills trail conditions may b after this warm week. Appreciate any input.
Thnx

Last edited:

03Firecatguy

Mar 12, 2011
Aberdeen SD
Heading out that way this weekend with the wife and kids, wondering if there are any certain areas better than others. Staying at Rec Springs but planning on riding out of Trailshead. Go north or south?

J
Aug 31, 2011
Heading out that way this weekend with the wife and kids, wondering if there are any certain areas better than others. Staying at Rec Springs but planning on riding out of Trailshead. Go north or south?

Please update us on the where abouts and conditions you find. Will be there 7th-10th. A couple of snow systems in the works for that area in the next ten days. Hoping they lay down some good deep snow.

jeffxc700

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2010
SUX
Blind Park Snotel reports 20 inches on the ground. Think its where 1 meets 8.. not sure though?

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Rode today out of Ditch Creek lot (not for work). Rode over to ice caves and to Mountain Meadow for supper. That area was marginal to begin with but was still holding snow for the most park. Had to skip around some thin and bare spots but still rideable for the most part. If the far South is still rideable, conditions should still be decent to the North. Back to work tomorrow and have to do the traffic counter route. I will report what I find tomorrow night. Temps were 74 when I left Hot Springs and 52 at Ditch Creek Lot at 3pm.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Today rode to Spearfish Canyon and back, South to Red Bank Springs, East to warming shelter 1 and 9, through Blackfox and back to Hardy Camp. Trails still had good snow cover everywhere I went. Trails were a little hard and glazed on the top but some traffic and grooming repetitions should correct that. Snow cover all the way into Spearfish Canyon on 4. Some ice on 1 curve between the lodge and the falls. Off trail the snow has set up some but is not concrete. The enclosed picture is approx. 1 mile North of Trailshead between trails 1 and 4. I measured 25 inches at that location. There is a slight crust on top but I sink past my knees when I try to walk through it. Did get stuck once. Had to use scratchers on the trail but those conditions will not last with traffic. My sled got great mileage with the hard trails, 4.6 gallons for 103 miles. I did get a report that trails are ridable in and out of Deadwood.

004.jpg

tk90

Premium Member
Dec 21, 2008
Sdsnocop-ice caves

Sdsnocop thank you for the updates ! Could you tell us more about ice caves? 12 of us riding out of Lead this weekend. Trail riding mostly. Looking for something new to see

Premium Features