• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Black Hills Conditions 2

cycloneracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Carson, Iowa
We rode 120 miles today. 5 from rec springs is poor to fair. 4 north of the warming shelter is mud and rocks. 3 north of cement ridge lookout is more mud and rocks. South of lookout is fair at best.

I'd stay home but we rented a non refundable house.

Guess we will spend some money Deadwood.

cycloneracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Carson, Iowa
Would it be worth taking a trip out there for presidents weekend? Will there be good trails to still ride on?

No. Trails will be done tomorrow

371cefa803949db91bdd7c60fe2c7ddb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coyoteman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
carson iowa
OK. There will be no good excuse if you guys won't drag race with us in July at the county Fair. If the mountain guys will do it you mud boggers had better.

Last edited:

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
That location on trail 7 barely had 6 inches of snow 3 weeks ago. Of course it is going to be bare. That picture however does not represent the majority of the conditions. Conditions are deteriorating but there will be snow to ride on if you want to ride. You will have to pick and choose where you can go. Play in some of the meadows and seek out the shaded North slopes. Do not ask me if it would be worth making the trip because I cannot answer that for you. It depends on how bad you want to ride, stay home or try another location. I know I will still be riding for work this weekend and probably put 4-5 hundred more miles on my patrol sled. I just will be more choosey where I ride and what time of the day I start unless called out otherwise.

coyoteman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
carson iowa
That location on trail 7 barely had 6 inches of snow 3 weeks ago. Of course it is going to be bare. That picture however does not represent the majority of the conditions. Conditions are deteriorating but there will be snow to ride on if you want to ride. You will have to pick and choose where you can go. Play in some of the meadows and seek out the shaded North slopes. Do not ask me if it would be worth making the trip because I cannot answer that for you. It depends on how bad you want to ride, stay home or try another location. I know I will still be riding for work this weekend and probably put 4-5 hundred more miles on my patrol sled. I just will be more choosey where I ride and what time of the day I start unless called out otherwise.
Or ATV??

cycloneracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Carson, Iowa

To be fair that was the worst we encountered. We were deciding to keep going or turn around. We kept going. It wasn't any better. There is riding to be had. None of it is great.

5 south of Rec Springs will be gone after tomorow.

South of trails head is the best we have hit. Very small area. Going to get beat up fast.

If I knew the conditions before I left I would of not come and just ate the cost of the house.

H

hayden

Dec 8, 2014
No its not. There is no snow in the snowies. It melted last week. All the snow is in the hills. :face-icon-small-win

I was there friday and saturday and yes the snow sat up like a rock. :face-icon-small-fro

R

Raff_9001M

Nov 27, 2007
Let's put it this way.....I live 40 minutes from 4 of the better parking areas in the hills and I mowed my yard this weekend. I think riding will be bad at best this weekend. No off trail at all except meadows which are very hard packed. Temps in the high 40's to 50's all week. Honestly I would not spend money or effort to ride these conditions. My sled is worth more than that.
On the brighter side, there is mention of cooler conditions with possible precip starting next week.

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
www.outdoorsupplyonline.com
I think all of us with reservations for this weekend and have taken vacation time, rented expensive non-refundable houses.... we know what's going to happen NEXT week.. 50% chance of snow for Monday already.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
I think all of us with reservations for this weekend and have taken vacation time, rented expensive non-refundable houses.... we know what's going to happen NEXT week.. 50% chance of snow for Monday already.

And I have to be in Mitchell the week after Presidents day sitting in a classroom. You know its dump all week.

Premium Features