• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Black Hills Conditions 2

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
I do not remember if the cutoff for basic members is 75 or 100 but since we are through the Christmas holidays I thought it would be time to start a new conditions thread. Snowed and blew most of the day. A lot of drifting. You should be able to find some wind loaded areas next to the meadows with some deeper snow. I would guess we received between 8-10 inches of new snow since last weekend. I just logged the first 1000 mile on my new patrol sled today.

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
www.outdoorsupplyonline.com
I talked to a guy that has a rental house out by Trailshead today, he said they have had nearly 180" of snow so far this year and there is a good 60-70" base. I was out last weekend and covered most everything from Buckhorn north and didn't see anywhere close to 60", or a base for that matter. I think he was stretching things juuuuussssttt a little.

SASKTOOLMAN

Premium Member
Dec 18, 2013
CANADA
There is a guy out by trailshead that rents cabin, if you look hard enough theres a bunch of negative reviews about him or his company, not paying back deposits and also falsely advertising the cabins...... Same guy?????

I was out last week and same thing, rode from Custers Crossing up to big lot, all the way down to trail 13 and around the buckhorn up trail 3. Deepest i found was 3ft in a very sheltered valley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S
Dec 2, 2007
Sergeant Bluff
Ouch

The good. Found great riding last week. It snowed 8 inches while we were there. I was very happy with the trails and meadows we rode in. We almost had the place to ourselves.

The bad. One meadow had stumps that bent the frame on a yamaha and my helmet broke the windshield on my skidoo. The Yamaha was traded off for a new skidoo. On the way home thursday across I-90 with 60+ wind and snow I came upon a both lanes blocked with 0 visability. Totalled out my new Ford then was hit from behind and totaled out my enclosed trailer and totaled out a new yamaha and my skidoo.

The Good. Nobody was hurt. I hope the adjuster calls soon. :face-icon-small-fro

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
One meadow had stumps that bent the frame on a yamaha and my helmet broke the windshield on my skidoo. The Yamaha was traded off for a new skidoo. On the way home thursday across I-90 with 60+ wind and snow I came upon a both lanes blocked with 0 visability. Totalled out my new Ford then was hit from behind and totaled out my enclosed trailer and totaled out a new yamaha and my skidoo.
:face-icon-small-fro

Gotta just love this sport!

U
Dec 12, 2007
Custer, SD
The good. Found great riding last week. It snowed 8 inches while we were there. I was very happy with the trails and meadows we rode in. We almost had the place to ourselves.

The bad. One meadow had stumps that bent the frame on a yamaha and my helmet broke the windshield on my skidoo. The Yamaha was traded off for a new skidoo. On the way home thursday across I-90 with 60+ wind and snow I came upon a both lanes blocked with 0 visability. Totalled out my new Ford then was hit from behind and totaled out my enclosed trailer and totaled out a new yamaha and my skidoo.

The Good. Nobody was hurt. I hope the adjuster calls soon. :face-icon-small-fro

wow, glad to hear you are all ok.

Sturgis Sledder

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2003
Sturgis, SD
NOT 60" but over the hood in some spots.

attachment.php

hood.jpg

S
Jan 12, 2015
Me and a few buddy's are planning a trip down to the spearfish area , just wondering if anyone has anything to report or anything saying to stay in ND. Thanks

Sturgis Sledder

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2003
Sturgis, SD
Me and a few buddy's are planning a trip down to the spearfish area , just wondering if anyone has anything to report or anything saying to stay in ND. Thanks

We left from Savoy, trails were good ( I have a video in the other thread about BH conditions), off trail is NOT RECOMMENDED ! ! ! UNLESS you really know the area, go slow and are VERY careful. The picture above shows the snow depth, however it's supposed to be warm this week so everything should settle.

R

Raff_9001M

Nov 27, 2007
We left from Savoy, trails were good ( I have a video in the other thread about BH conditions), off trail is NOT RECOMMENDED ! ! ! UNLESS you really know the area, go slow and are VERY careful. The picture above shows the snow depth, however it's supposed to be warm this week so everything should settle.

x2 Isolated pockets of good snow - untouched. Stumps are prevalent.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
I will have a 70 Chaparral Executive 493 and a 79 Scorpion Sting 440 ready for the vintage ride. I just have not decided which one I am going to ride. The Chaparral for a easy leisure ride or the Scorpion to ride hard.

brianwcooper

Premium Member
Mar 10, 2010
Sturgis, SD
I went up and rode yesterday from Rec. Springs down trail 5. The snow still hasn't really set up much. There are a lot of hidden stumps still to hit. Hopefully the warm temps the next few days will start a good base for some new snow.

20150114_125710[1].jpg 20150114_141804[1].jpg 20150114_125209[1].jpg

S

STEVE TWEET

Jan 20, 2010
Any new updates form the weekend? Looking to get out and put on some break in miles but want to have a little fun as well. Heard it got a little warm up there over the weekend. Any new snow predictions this week?

starrsleds

Premium Member
Oct 18, 2008
was up this weekend snows pretty decent was warm and pretty set up but can find nice stuff in trees.. stumps are easy to find. I think its supposed to snow tues! fingers crossed

S
Dec 2, 2007
Sergeant Bluff
SDSNOCOP Question

I have a question for sdsnocop. If I buy a new sled in spearfish, Can I ride it without any registration? I won't have a way to register it until I get back home in eastern Nebraska. Is there a dealer new sled registration that is good for a few weeks?:noidea:

I will have a 70 Chaparral Executive 493 and a 79 Scorpion Sting 440 ready for the vintage ride. I just have not decided which one I am going to ride. The Chaparral for a easy leisure ride or the Scorpion to ride hard.

ges

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
pierre sd
Ya they will give ya a dealer plate that will be good till ya get it licensed good for a month i think

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
If you buy the sled from a licensed dealer they will issue you a 30 day paper plate. If they dont ask for one. If you buy it from a private individual and the sled is not licensed or license is expired you will need to get it licensed before it can be ridden.

Premium Features