• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bars way too tall!!

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
The "Schooled" video comes out and now everyone thinks their Chris Burandt.

figured it out before the movie came out and never seen it either, Put a 5.5" riser angled forward on my 09, looked like a school girl trying to ride and couldn't do half of what I could with a 3.5 on my 07 so I dropped them to 4.5-3.5 and now adjustable, I do like raising them for jumps and beating the trail but still have to reach down with it all the way up, on some of the steep sidehills I was just hanging on the bars (with them up it puts all the weight on the back of the sled) and causing it to wash out, with them low I can get on top of it to catch it from washing and keep carving.

I can understand why you little fellers would want them lower.
(BTW, you seem like an arrogant little man)
My back will simply last longer if I ride standing straight up without having to lean forward.
If that's wrong, well I content being wrong......little man.

Maybe after all the hundreds of posts on bar height we are having a little fun, if I wear arrogant I would have never spent time on this post to teach one more person the advantage of different heights, But, yes I am a little guy, compared to a horse.:bathbaby:

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
How on earth would you get more leverage with lower bars?

Taller bars give you a leverage point that is taller and raises your center of gravity making it easier to lay the sled over. Simple physics.

Nothing worse then being hunched over the sled (this happens a lot when your 6'3").

I can't ride a sled with low bars worth a damn.

Just my 2 cents.

S

samiams2

Nov 14, 2009
MN...stupid poser flatlander
yes that true to a point, as long as the higher they go the bigger heels you get from kevin. lots of guys go too tall and when you are tipping the sled with your arms and not your body, you are losing tons of leverage. straight arms to bent arms are what a 2' breaker bar is to a regular ol 3/8" ratchet...kinda maybe.

plus when you get REAL steep, the taller bars push you farther from your sled which can cause trenching, rash, dry mouth and erections lasting longer than 4hrs.

but consider the source, what do I know? im a flatland poser who cant ride. on 2nd thought, u better go with the 10" riser.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
It has nothing to do with the sled at a level standstill, the leverage comes when you are vertical or trying to sidehill. (not a level sidehill, the type of sidehill where you are trying to climp over something nasty below you and the nose of the sled is pointed uphill at an angle) I get home sometimes with bruises on my chest from the bars hitting me as I go over the top of a steep cornice or up out of a ravine. This comes from being parellel to the sled as we are both standing on our toes reaching for a little more elevation. I often pull myself in so my head is over the windshield to keep from going over backwards.

Kevin, I am working, trying to find rear-ends for a spud-truck, checking in on sw while on hold. Sure wish I could peel off long enough to come ride, looks like the storms might give me one more chance.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2583035&highlight=risers#post2583035

Once again. taller bars gives the sled more leverage over you, you = 200ish lbs rider against a 480+lbs Sled, who is going to win. Its simple physics. When you look at the whole picture.

In the above thread its gone over in detail and theres even some pics for some like me that dont like reading. If it doesn't make sense, never mind.

We ride terrain in a way that low bars come to us not having to bend over and hang on.

Last edited:
G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
I guess it makes sense if your breaking over a cornice.

I could also see if the bars are super high your arms are really bent out losing leverage.

I just like to have my arms extended just about straight (I can go a little bent one way or the other but if I'm hunched over I'm miserable). I feel with my arms straight I can use my upper body and balance to easily maneuver the sled.

For me I can ride an M with the adjustable post stock height all the way up, but one or two notches below all the way up with AMP riser gives me a lot more leverage. I'm way more comfortable in the trees or doing downhill u turns with the riser.

Keep in mind I'm 6'3". Do guys my height really ride with the bars lower then me?

Anyways I'm lovin the height of the new sno pro post.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Not sure there is a right or wrong here.
Kind of whatever works for you kind of thing.
That being said, remaining open minded allows opportunity for improvement.

For me personally, it may be possible that lower bars could make some of the technical stuff easier for me.
However, my back stays fresher if I can ride without needing to bend forward.
My back is one of my weaker points (along with my mind) & I'll take tired shoulders over sore back any day & every day.

S

samiams2

Nov 14, 2009
MN...stupid poser flatlander
I just like to have my arms extended just about straight (I can go a little bent one way or the other but if I'm hunched over I'm miserable). I feel with my arms straight I can use my upper body and balance to easily maneuver the sled.

For me I can ride an M with the adjustable post stock height all the way up, but one or two notches below all the way up with AMP riser gives me a lot more leverage. I'm way more comfortable in the trees or doing downhill u turns with the riser.

Keep in mind I'm 6'3". Do guys my height really ride with the bars lower then me?

Anyways I'm lovin the height of the new sno pro post.

We are saying the same thing. Thats exactly what I was saying. I am 6'3" and I rode my 2010 with the stock adjustable at its highest or a notch or two down. That works perfect for me.

One extreme one way or the other probably isn't a great idea....as with most things.

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
We are saying the same thing. Thats exactly what I was saying. I am 6'3" and I rode my 2010 with the stock adjustable at its highest or a notch or two down. That works perfect for me.

One extreme one way or the other probably isn't a great idea....as with most things.

Actually I ride with the AMP riser which is 1.5" taller then stock with the bars down a notch or two.

With the stock post I have to ride with it up all the way.

F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
It's amazing to me that people think a 5'6" 160lb rider and a 6'4" 215lb rider are able to defy physics and have the same ergonomics riding a sled with the same post height... Really people? Really! REALLY?!?! snl skit

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
Proper fit for most guys is having your arms straight down when standing up near the bars. I watch people all the time with high rise bars and bent elbows trying to ride the trees, pretty funny, can't be done. It seems the designers will many times run with the latest and greatest fad instead of what is comfortable and works best. I'm 6'2" and am trying to figure out how to drop the bars on a new pro 4".

Premium Features