• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bargain Basement Budget Build

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Currently building a sled for my 14 year old son. He had previously rode a 340 Enticer. I put him once on a 600 Vmax I had but it was too much sled for him. I recently picked up a Polaris 400 indy with a 133 track. Bought it on a package deal with a 2 place trailer, 79 Scorpion, and a rough Kawasaki Bayou 4 wheeler all for $1100. Sold the trailer for $700, parting out the 4 wheeler and have made all my money back plus extra still coming in which basically leaves the Scorpion and 400 indy free. Previous owner claimed he had problems getting spark, After noticing and removing a jumper wire on the ignition switch plug I had spark. Sled was last licensed in 2004. Cleaned carbs, replaced fuel lines and fuel pump and found I had a great running 400. Cleaned clutches. Seat was shot so I replaced the tank and seat with one from a RXL I had recently parted out. Mounted Skidoo plastic skis and Fox shocks in front which I had on hand. Cut off the low non adjustable bars and welded on a standard bar mount with a 2 inch riser. I am currently in the process of replacing the 133 X .75 track with a 136 x 1.5 camoplast track I had on hand. Replacing the 9 tooth 2 driver axle with a 8 tooth 4 driver axle. Replacing bearings as needed. Replaced shocks on rear skid with ones I had on hand as well as removing several sets of idlers. So far I have $80 invested in the project (1 used fuel pump, 1 grip heater, fuel line and an used airbox. After the track upgrades I will look into appearance upgrades. Sled should make a good teenager sled.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I've got a 20-39 gearing with a 66 pitch chain in my 1993 440 SKS. I also put the factory 133 1.5" track, skid plate, new windshield, mountain bar, bar riser, windshield bag, and brand new take off factory race skis ($300 in upgrades).

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Got the 400 cleaned and shined up. Did some touch up painting. I found a 39 tooth bottom gear I will instal. I still need to rejet. Someone was trying hard to burn this sled down with the 170 main jets, plugged pilots and BR7ES plugs. I will try either 195 or 200 mains for the elevation the sled will be run. I will wait for snow to test and tune the clutching. Currently has the blue spring with the M-1 mod weights. I did not spend much time on the hood since it has numerous spider cracks. I would not mind a shorter windshield but I will worry about that another day. I still need to wire the grip and thumb heater as well as figure out the issue with the brake light and instrument lights. My son has far outpaced me in height so I am probably going to have to add a few inches on the bar riser.

001.jpg 002.jpg 003.jpg

Premium Features