• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Any other handicapped riders out there?

smokindave

Canada Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary Alberta
Well,Welcome to Snowest,its nice to see new people coming to the sport of snowmobiling especially people like yourself that have not given up on living.
Its people like you and as you have probally read in this thread and others that motovate me too keep on going and dump the depression that can come with injuries.
When you get your seat finished please post some photos,I would really like to see them.

Cheers,
Dave

S
Dec 3, 2009
Figued I should chime in, I am a T-4 complete. For those of you that don't understand that it means that I have no feeling or movement from the nipples down. Love to ride and ride hard, both winter and summer. Have a custom seat and smittys drop on an XP and hate to ride trails.

How did you make your seat have any pictrues, i'm t-4,t-5 incomplete with a plate in my neck at t2@T3, i have full movment of my left arm and a little in my right, and on feeling from waist down so i have bad balance so i need a seat to hold me up.

SledGimp

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2007
Heber, UT
How did you make your seat have any pictrues, i'm t-4,t-5 incomplete with a plate in my neck at t2@T3, i have full movment of my left arm and a little in my right, and on feeling from waist down so i have bad balance so i need a seat to hold me up.

There is not allot of support for balance in the seat, it is designed mainly to keep the individual from sliding from side to side, forward or back off of the seat. It also holds you down when jumping but the harness that holds you on is held to the snowmobile with Velcro so if you roll the sled you will come off and not stay with it. Don't have any pics of the4 seat alone but you can contact Marc at WRP and get all the info you need.

Best of luck to you,

SG

racingpit

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2002
Sheridan, WY
www.hoseplugs.com
I know a lady that drag races snowmobiles on grass, ice or snow. She also goes on normal snowmobile rides as well as races in cross country races. She is a true inspiration to us all. For that matter, anyone who is disabled and can participate in our sport are a true inspiration to us all!!!!

G
Aug 28, 2009
Bismarck ND
Passing through... looking for new ideas from the ole sledders I used to hang out with on here, maybe find some I could adapt to a trike built for a handi cap rider.
Tripped on this thread. Limited reading for me though

I hope all is well, thanks
:musicnote::musicnote::musicnote::musicnote:

~ Gimpster ~

R

redbull660

Dec 1, 2007
Montana
My daughter is 10 years old, she has never been able to walk or talk. Is there a manufacture out there that makes a universal rear seat for a 2010 ski-doo xp summit. I looked at the one on BRP's website but there are VERY expensive. I am looking for a set to mount on the back of my sled to hold her in there while we trail ride.

She is getting to big to carry on the front so I have no choice but to put her on the back of the sled.

F

Firecat162

Nov 7, 2008
British Columbia
Below Knee Amputee

Thought I would throw in my 2cents. I am a 37yr old below knee amputee as a result of a birth defect. I have ridden snowmobiles right from a toddler. Dad and uncle raced for Ski Doo in the 70's. Live in BC so were not short on steep and deep!!. currently ride a turbo F7 162 Mod...lots a fun. I would have to say the disabilitiy gave me alot more ABILITIES! It certainly tought me that a positive attitude can and will overcome all obsticals life can throw at you.

I had a 16 yr career riding bulls. 7 of those years riding pro in Canada and the US. I had the opportunity to travel throughout North America and meet some of the best people you could meet! I was the only carded professional bull rider in the world to compete with a below knee amputation. I qualified for the Canadian Pro Bull Riders Finals 2 times and numerous other association finals.

I retired in 2001 due to serious injuries sustained form a bullriding wreck, broken vertibraes, hip pelvis,eye socket etc... I now watch my wife and daughter compete at barrel races and my 8 yr old son rides calves. We all sled.

Hope to see some of you out and about in Revy or somewhere down the trail.

Have a great safe season.

Gord

1RMDave

Aug 23, 2010
anyone modify there sled to a right hand brake? i've been using a4x4 polaris brake control which been giving me problems leaking is there other options?

Cut my left hand off in a grain auger when I was very young, grew up with a couple sleds and have had my own for a few years.

I am in the process of using a left handed throttle flipped over to be a right handed brake.

boone

Premium Member
May 27, 2007
Crazytown!!
My dad is a right BK(below knee) amputee and my uncle(dads twin brother) is a left AK(above knee)amputee. Both from separate accidents. Growing up with both of them I have met countless other amputees, para's and quad's. I have seen first hand the courage and determination it takes to do what you guys do! You all are truly an inspiration to everyone! My hat's off to you!

Keep doing what you are doing and don't let ANYONE tell you that you cant! And be proud of it! I think it is bad a$$ to show off your (dis)ability and show them how its done.:face-icon-small-coo

Again...thank you all for doing what you do and setting the bar!

Boone

C
Jan 23, 2010
Inkom Idaho
Hey just saw your post,I am a t-6 para complete 32 years plus have an 08 800 xp 154, rode 30 in. plus freshies yesterda never got her suck rockin and rollin all day.lovin it. live in eastern Idaho CHD

SledGimp

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2007
Heber, UT
Hey just saw your post,I am a t-6 para complete 32 years plus have an 08 800 xp 154, rode 30 in. plus freshies yesterda never got her suck rockin and rollin all day.lovin it. live in eastern Idaho CHD

Colin,

Hey, it's Scott in UT. I rode Saturday in 3' plus and it was awesome, can't say I didn't get stuck though, got into a drift that was probably 5' or more. My kid burried his a few times.

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
My daughter is 10 years old, she has never been able to walk or talk. Is there a manufacture out there that makes a universal rear seat for a 2010 ski-doo xp summit. I looked at the one on BRP's website but there are VERY expensive. I am looking for a set to mount on the back of my sled to hold her in there while we trail ride.

She is getting to big to carry on the front so I have no choice but to put her on the back of the sled.

Was anyone able to help this person through pm or email. Didn't see any responses on here. I am glad to help with a design/fab or with the $$$ for an OEM so the two of them can get on the trail.

Just hoping for an update on this situation to see if there is a chance to help out.

I really enjoy trying to find ways to help out folks who are wanting to help themselves. It is really inspiring to me to be in their presence or work with and see their achievements. Just reading all your stories makes me want to work harder at being a good man. Here's a few of a shooting rig that I have helped set up for a couple local kids who were injured in the C-3/C-4 area. They are mobile with sip n puff wheel chairs. Both these guys are back out there hunting and bagging game using only a straw. remarkable guys. EW

Shooting rig holds the rifle and allows user to operate (up/down, left/right)it with a chin joystick and fire it with a sip straw.

DSCN0838.jpg

DSCN0828.jpg

A camera attaches to the scope and sends the image of the crosshairs and the target to a 9" HD DVD player.

DSCN0786.jpg

Looks like this from behind the chair

DSCN0835.jpg

Our local forklift driver on the move 100 yards out. lol.

DSCN0803.jpg

2 minute mount in the chair, and it works on the chairs DC power.

DSCN0820.jpg

DSCN0821.jpg

DSCN0823.jpg

The pics above are my buddy Casey, this is Robert the day we gave him his system. He was using a compressed air pellet gun at 30 yards. His first shots.

DSCN0869.jpg

DSCN0870.jpg

DSCN0871.jpg

Casey has taken a couple whitetail, a bear, a bobcat, and several turkeys and varmints.

Robert got his first ever buck this last fall which was a 4 pointer. Good stuff.

K
Oct 20, 2009
I LOST MY T12 6 MONTHS AGO. I STILL AM RECOVERING . I WAS FORTUNATE THAT EVEN THOUGH I CANT FEEL MY FEET OR THE BACK OF MY LEGS I CAN WALK. I HAVE BEEN RACING FOR 36 YEARS AND HOPE TO GET BACK TO RIDING AGAIN. MY WIFE CLIPPED MY WINGS ON RACING AGAIN BUT SHE DID GIVE ME PERMISSION TO RUN MY SNOSCOOT AT WEST YELLOWSTONE DOWN THE DRAGSTRIP .ITS MY 24TH STRAIGHT YEAR COMPETING THERE AND AND I WANT TO MAKE IT 25 YEARS . I AM LOOKING FOWARD TO RIDING NEXT YEAR I LOVE READING THE STORYS OF PEOPLE WITH WORSE INJURYS THAN ME AND STILL SLEDDING . I THINK NOT GIVING UP OR NOT LETTING OUR DISABILITYS STOPING US IS THE KEY TO DOING WHAT WE LOVE. WHEN I WAS IN THE HOSPITAL AND HAD NO FELLING FROM THE CHEST DOWN ALL I COULD THINK ABOUT WAS HOW TO MAKE MY SLED SO I COULD STILL RIDE! THANKS YOU GUYS FOR THE ENCOURAGEMENT SEE YOU AT WEST OR JACKSON ,I WILL BE THE GUY THAT WALKS FUNNY

1RMDave

Aug 23, 2010
I thought it might be a good idea to post pictures of our injuries/problems and the equipment we use to over come them. Helpful to others looking.

Btw, awesome shooting setup!

M
Jun 3, 2010
Back

On my last tour overseas, completing my 24-years of service, I busted up for vertebrae, three discs. I have four Harrington Rod's and 16-screws in my spine. I'm a graduate of the three time back surgery club. One I had no clue until I woke up. Two others, none by choice, but strongly encouraged.

I refuse any pain medication due to a misdiagnosis when I was first injured. I was put on pain pills for almost two years. Finally, I saw a different doctor and got the required care mentioned. I was in rehab for eight weeks to get off the pain meds. Pain is real BUT if you figure out how to make it a mind over matter issue it's not a problem.

I can ride but if the trails are hacked up I load up and go home. My riding partner is 70-something and he is in rough shape also. He rides like he's 20.

You're only handicapped if you let yourself believe it.

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
This is Zak. He is the recipient of our latest shooting rig. Zak was injured C3-4 at 7 yeras old in a hit and run. He is now 14. Zak lives in rural NE Washington where all the talk at school this time of year revolves around hunting. Zak was just sure he would never even have the chance to shoot let alone hunt. Zak's school counselor saw Casey wheelin around at a football game and began asking questions. A couple weeks later we had Zak shooting like a pro. Lots of possibilities out there. EW

Zak with the range master qualifying for his firearm safety card. He took and passed the online written part.

IMG_0596.jpg

Plinking after he passed

IMG_0597.jpg

IMG_0599.jpg

Zak & Casey

IMG_0609.jpg

This is a pistol rig for Casey. We used Crimson Trace Laser grips activated by a piece of old inner tube around the grip to activate/produce the red dot he could see. We also fabbed a muzzle hold down that used a scope mount upside down on the front under rail that mounted to a 1" piece of shaft. Completely controls the muzzle jump especially during rapid fire which is possible.

IMG_0572.jpg

IMG_0575.jpg

IMG_0576.jpg

IMG_0579.jpg

C

CatRpillar

Oct 9, 2011
Wild Rose Country
Just putting my two bits here to share with others. Sledding since 1969 until 2004 when lower back injuries finally stopped me. Discectomies on my L4-L5 and L5-S1 over the last three years and I finally said the hell with it and bought a ProClimb. Went out last week to the mountains for two days of riding and did well. I've lost a lot of function in my right knee and ankle but still managed ok especially being so rusty after 7 years. Taking it one step at a time anf just seeing where it goes!

Amazing pic's of the young guys with the rifles btw! Good for them!

Premium Features