• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

And then there were 2...

H

HOOCH256

Jan 5, 2008
Kalispell, MT
The original first post said there were two "contenders". You can take that multiple ways. But if you think that the sled doesn't make a difference in mountain riding and it is all the rider, you haven't tried all the mtn. sleds!

It clearly states poo and doo so it can't be taken any other way!

Hey slick nobody was talking to you go crawl back in your hole! Do you even own a snowmobile?

Sent from my super duper sweet iPhone using Tapatalk when I should be doing something productive!

snowman80

Lifetime Membership
Sep 18, 2011
ND
Not to get into everyone's big fight over "which sled is best" but.... there is a reason polaris has been selling a lot of pros. Some people need to get out of their box they live in and open their minds up to diferent things instead just arguing about why their brand is better. I used to hate polaris too but now I own one because I realized every brand has it's ups and downs.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
In the good ol days we used to ride from bar to bar, and usually stop in between because someone always had a bottle of schnaaps along & if you didn't piss inside your one piece snowmobile suit you were still good to go.
Man I miss those days!
You know what we would argue about at each bar?
Which brand sled was best!

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
Judging from the arguments made here I can go out on a leisurely trail ride with some friends who have a turbo m1000, turbo nytro, and a bb XP and since I can keep up with them with my 600rmk I guess that means mine is equally as good?

great logic I know.

S

Slick

Nov 26, 2007
It clearly states poo and doo so it can't be taken any other way!

Hey slick nobody was talking to you go crawl back in your hole! Do you even own a snowmobile?

Sent from my super duper sweet iPhone using Tapatalk when I should be doing something productive!

Haha. You were talking to me, and a whole 4m of others, Meathead. And as I said , IMO it you that doesn't own a sled...... Well a real one anyway. But as I said , enjoy your slug.

S

Slick

Nov 26, 2007
No. My opinion is mine. Yours is yours. Sometime they may be different, and I'm ok with that.
Apparently everyone is entitled to one, even guys that don't sled....... Like snomobiler .

BigT

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sequim, WA
You all have me worried. I was looking for some insight on which sled to buy. I thought this thread would assist me. I have an m8 and a RXL SKS, which one should I be riding. If Cat is gonna be done will there be parts for my 2010. Maybe taking the poo chassis with a cat engine and a doo track--no wait that won't work. 16 wide track is not good. Do have to sell now and buy a poo or doo (which isn't any different since like 08).
Please help, I don't know what to do. Might be time to just get out while i still can! Please help!

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
there is no disputing the fact that alot...and i mean alot of "M" series current riders will switch brands when the time comes because they have issues.."real or not" with the new Cats..

There is as well no doubt that the new Polaris has some very very good attributes that are attractive to all brand riders and that they as well just may have addressed some of the perceived engine issues..and to say that Polaris is not on a big roll is being blind..

The new Skidoo;s can be duplicated by any rider of any other brand by breaking the fibreglass rods in their tracks...(sorry i could not resist..haha)..seriously though..imo..and its just an opinion..89sandman is probably very close to identifying the trend that is likely to evolve unless Cat pulls a rabbit out of its hat..

A

Ak nitro

Dec 1, 2007
Cortez Colorado
I have not followed snowest for sometime, but nothing has changed, 89 sandman is still a hater! I have rode turbo 4 strokes for years, trouble free and thousand of miles I may add. I sold my sleds because the wife and I decided to do the family thing and have kids. After a year of not riding I decided to get a stock holdover sled to get out with my friends, to me it was the lesser of three evils (two strokes). Price, reliability, and handling. My biggest problem with all two strokes is that we are programmed to believe that it is okay for a motor to only last 2000 miles, to me that is a Joke! I have seen turbo apexs with 10,000 miles, with the motors torn down just because the owner felt they should work on it, they could find nothing wrong. That is what Yamaha brings to the table, all the other 3 make Junk motors in my opinion, there is no reason these 2 smokes should blow engines at only 1000 miles (polaris). I have heard every BS story, that these motors make so much power, or they are run so hard, whatever, they are junk.

Yamaha leads, the rest follow in making a reliable product.

Long story short I picked up a 11' doo for only $6700 new with warrenty, Which funny because it was way cheaper than used sleds on the classified on here. I have owned all three 2 smokes companys, and out of the box had the best luck with doo. I would never pay more than 8 grand for any 2 smoke, any thing that grenades in less 4000 miles is garbage in my opinion.

Last I would like to say, it is sickening to see how people around here swing form Brett R and Burandts Nuts around here, and cling to every word they say, there are plenty of better riders I have seen, that are not making videos swinging from the nuts of a manufactuer.

Ban me if you want, I am used to forums like Pirate 4x4 where member are allowed to speak there mind without being banned.

Last edited:

Rocky

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
I rode Polaris for nearly 30 years... From my perspective, Polaris had 6 years (2004-2010 wall of shame years, losing market share and tons of loyal customers) to figure out how to build a good mountain sled...while Doo and Cat developed and delivered the goods... I would hope the Pro would be good!.:face-icon-small-ton..I left the Poo camp with the 2005 900 debacle and finally have an interest in them again. It's amazing how quickly people forget how bad of shape they were in, just a few short years ago.. Let alone, how many XP's were sold from 2008-2010 period...The M's, REV's and XP's made huge advances in the mountain segment..can't say much about Polaris during that same time period IMO.

The Pro may be a new benchmark, but I have not forgotten..and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

As I've said before, we are lucky as consumers to have such great technology from all brands, considering how low sled sales are these days. Pick your flavor and ride. Every year is a leap frog year from one manufacturer to the next... always something new coming down the pipe, for the most part. All in all, it's good to see Polaris Industries doing so good now.. Sleds, ATV, UTV's etc.. Cat's Profit is way up as well. Doo has something big up their sleeve in a couple years I'm sure..

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
I have not followed snowest for sometime, but nothing has changed, 89 sandman is still a hater! I have rode turbo 4 strokes for years, trouble free and thousand of miles I may add. I sold my sleds because the wife and I decided to do the family thing and have kids. After a year of not riding I decided to get a stock holdover sled to get out with my friends, to me it was the lesser of three evils (two strokes). Price, reliability, and handling. My biggest problem with all two strokes is that we are programmed to believe that it is okay for a motor to only last 2000 miles, to me that is a Joke! I have seen turbo apexs with 10,000 miles, with the motors torn down just because the owner felt they should work on it, they could find nothing wrong. That is what Yamaha brings to the table, all the other 3 make Junk motors in my opinion, there is no reason these 2 smokes should blow engines at only 1000 miles (polaris). I have heard every BS story, that these motors make so much power, or they are run so hard, whatever, they are junk.

Yamaha leads, the rest follow in making a reliable product.

Long story short I picked up a 11' doo for only $6700 new with warrenty, Which funny because it was way cheaper than used sleds on the classified on here. I have owned all three 2 smokes companys, and out of the box had the best luck with doo. I would never pay more than 8 grand for any 2 smoke, any thing that grenades in less 4000 miles is garbage in my opinion.

Last I would like to say, it is sickening to see how people around here swing form Brett R and Burandts Nuts around here, and cling to every word they say, there are plenty of better riders I have seen, that are not making videos swinging from the nuts of a manufactuer.

Ban me if you want, I am used to forums like Pirate 4x4 where member are allowed to speak there mind without being banned.

i don;t dispute their reliable engine...but i have seen a ton of Apex sled abandoned in the backcountry because the skid frames fail completely because of the pounding of the extra weight.....so whats the differance...a sled left in the backcountry is a sled left in the backcountry..
The yamaha's were a primary sled in an Artic expedition and they held the team up over 3 weeks with issues..

ps...alot more hate in your post then what m8sandman could ever muster..

Last edited:
K

kovs

Nov 29, 2007
saskatchewan
to each their own, ride whatever you want after all your paying the bill(s) on it. who cares whats better its about having fun!!!
if we could focus all this brand hating, bashing and pi#$ing contest energy at the EPA and tell them where to take their emission standards we need to meet on the 2 smokers that really make no difference in the big scheme of polution produced globally.
Then we might see some really cool sleds and more power.
my 2 cents

Nytroty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Chaska, MN
I guess if you are comparing a 250 to a 450. But 250 2 stroke puts out 15 more horsepower than a 250 4 stroke and about 10 higher on the torque.

Here is an excellent article on a KTM 250 comparison
http://motocrossactionmag.

But i bet at least 80% of the guys who ride dirt bikes could ride the four stroke faster around a track... The 2 stroke is faster for sure but the four stroke is WAY easier to ride...

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
I guess if you are comparing a 250 to a 450. But 250 2 stroke puts out 15 more horsepower than a 250 4 stroke and about 10 higher on the torque.

Here is an excellent article on a KTM 250 comparison
http://motocrossactionmag.

But i bet at least 80% of the guys who ride dirt bikes could ride the four stroke faster around a track... The 2 stroke is faster for sure but the four stroke is WAY easier to ride...

Your probably right as was BugIto. They came to much the same conclusion in that article, pretty good read I thought. I was thinking more of how the power applies to snowmobiles for a given size engine.

In a perfect world we would have the long term reliability of a 4 stroke with the power and weight of a 2 stroke.

clatla

Premium Member
Mar 9, 2010
MN
We all need snow so we stop trolling posts like these. :bounce:

It comes down to everybody has their own opinion. We all work hard to make the money we spend on a hobby that keeps us sane. In a perfect world you could take all the good parts from each manufacturer and put them on one sled. We all know that's not possible. So we have to pick a color and make the best of it.

Save the digs and name calling for the bar when everybody is safe off the hill. :beer;

S

skooter

Dec 11, 2007
Montana
trade

Trying to trade 12 proclimb for 13, no cat dealers around here want to trade because they have too many 12s still in the crate. That's not good for cat dealers or me.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
That can be taken in either of two ways.

1) Yamaha will have something different to show in March
2) The snow sets up and weight isn't as much a factor

Did I miss anything?

As good old Sgt. Schultz used to say
I-know-nothing.jpg

But I am planning on selling my 08 Nytro and ordering a new one this spring.

Don't let me down Yamaha!!
I know you boys have been busy for the last 2 winters.......

Premium Features