• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Adapt clutch

Post number 17 has been selected as best answered.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
not to take away from moaning about running boards and colors and what AC is doing all wrong, But does anybody know much about this new clutch? It almost looks too polished in the pics for something cat makes themself haha!
My '17 team has been great but it does sound like a box of rocks the more miles it gets. Wonder if this new clutch is going to be better. you cant beat the belt life of the team. but this might be a good upgrade for an old suzuki even? I wasnt impressed enough with the 18+ teams to consider them. the 17 is smooth enough and doesnt crack, yet anyway. Ive about ground through my side panel from riding on its side. the lighter weight is always good, wonder if its lighter than the 16/17 team tho?

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
My appeal will be likely not worrying about a grenading clutch, I always check over mine but knock on wood right. Also it looks to be the same as the new poo on the matryx?

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I am upset and super excited about the Adapt clutch.

It looks strong. Buttons are not on the same spot on the spyder as the weights.
Looks like it is easy to replace parts.

I spent $200 on a ZRP cover then another $225 on Indy Specialties tru-shift cover because its bigger and stronger.
All this just to prevent this current clutch from exploding. Well, i hope it prevents explosion. Could just be a waste of money ...?

Sent it

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
I think the stock photo we've been seeing is an illustration so the belt looks funny.
I hope I can order one without hassle.
I imagine they came out with it early due to the exploding issue to show us some improvements.
I imagine it was originally to fit next new chassis but had to be released early.
I didn't expect any mfg to release anything new for 22, the only reason I feel cat dropped the ball is cause polaris had a whole bunch of stuff.
One more reason to hate polaris

Last edited:
F
Feb 3, 2017
Belt is the same -111 as current. Rendering looks funny.

Primary bolt will need a spacer change. Ring gears mount the same.

Cam arms will be different though.

Recommend a new non-broken-in belt for any clutch change.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
Anyone know of availability? I’m pushing up on 700 miles. The worry is real.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
No one really knows yet - I've heard maybe not until next September.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
It is going to be a super hot item, I hope Cat is ready for the demand. Also I believe anyone that owns a 18-21 sled should get a steep discount.

Agreed, I’d get on a list now if I could.

I will say though, Cat has been good to me on replacements. I’ve had no explosions, just one with cracks and one with a bad bearing. No questions asked replacement. Through the dealer of course.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
would love to see these new clutches from both cat and polaris on the scale and see how it compares to both the Team clutches. that bearing has to add weight? some sleds of the olden days had roller primaries, my 71 has one.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Adding a roller primary and tied secondary added 1.6lb over the stock 2014 clutches. Don't recall what the individual split was between them.

Cinno

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Stillwater,Mn
not to take away from moaning about running boards and colors and what AC is doing all wrong, But does anybody know much about this new clutch? It almost looks too polished in the pics for something cat makes themself haha!
My '17 team has been great but it does sound like a box of rocks the more miles it gets. Wonder if this new clutch is going to be better. you cant beat the belt life of the team. but this might be a good upgrade for an old suzuki even? I wasnt impressed enough with the 18+ teams to consider them. the 17 is smooth enough and doesnt crack, yet anyway. Ive about ground through my side panel from riding on its side. the lighter weight is always good, wonder if its lighter than the 16/17 team tho?
Good to hear Arctic Cat is upgrading the Team Boss primary to address the weaknesses that have caused damage to many. Decreasing weight may increase acceleration but only if it's near the outer diameter and is significant as compared to all the other rotating components attached to the primary clutch like the crank, pistons, piston rods and dynamic balancer. I don't think it will be much.

Cinno

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Some more info on the clutch setup at the end of this article: http://www.arcticinsider.com/Article/Inside-Look-2022-ZR-8000s-and-ADAPT-Clutch-Interview-with-Kyle-Olason??fbclid=IwAR01sJQs6iQlCbA7kkLy8WjgNaeNpYqSkLhi2Y1LuCJjqfzN2LaHlmMFy78

Confirms the new clutch will retrofit to older models and uses the same belt. Primary and secondary will both be built by Cat now. Hints at a possible kit this fall??? I bet this will be a hot item.

Clutch is 1lb lighter but only 5% reduction in inertia. Moving the cam arms further out probably negated a lot of the lighter weight from that aspect. Being 1" narrower should allow for sleeker bodywork in the future and maybe give a little better mass centralization.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Some more detailed pictures of the clutch here: http://www.arcticinsider.com/Article/Updated-Inside-Look-ADAPT-Clutch-Interview-with-Kyle-Olason-

I thought there might be rollers in the spider to run against the fixed sheave towers, but it looks like they are still buttons. Interesting that the outer part of the spider bolts to the inner hub. I don't see the conventional nut locking the spider down either. Wonder if there are some type of splines and a snap ring now instead of an assembly that is threaded together? Easier to disassemble and inspect? If there aren't any service parts available for this clutch then I suppose it doesn't really matter. Looks like we might finally be rid of the spring bind against the sides of the clutch cover.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Was at my local dealer today. They told me the demo sleds cat is sending out now will still have the Team primary on them. Hope it’s not true, was really wanting to see the new clutch. Sleds should be here next week

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Unfortunately it is true. Something I posted in another thread:
Looked at a early release 2022 146 Hardcore at the Cat dealer in Cooke City yesterday. Wanted to see the new clutch in person, but when I popped the panel off it was the same old primary staring back at me. So not much hope for the new one to be available until next year. I would bet not until they finish production run of new sleds to boot. The casting on the roller clutch I'm running on my suzuki looks pretty poor. I'm checking it before every ride. Hopefully it makes it through the end of the season.

Premium Features