• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Adapt clutch engagement

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
What is everyone seeing for engagement rpm? I see lower engagement with the 225 spring over the 255. With 255 and washers on each end I see about 4000rpm engagement, which sucks for this sled with a roller bearing clutch. Like the 2015 cats engagement. With 225 spring and one washer I see 3600-3800rpm engagement. I feel the older team clutch runs more consistent and lower engagement rpm over the adapt. But maybe I dont have these stock wright's grinded down like a stock 58g profile is.

On the adapt I'm seeing a lot of gouging in the cover and a bad shift out of the side profile grinded stock weights in heavy spring snow if I dont run a thunderproducts glide washer. Cant believe cat doesnt have stock 58g weights off backorder yet. Don't know if grinding sides is the right move, or taking some off the tip and bottom would help too. I only took off the sides. What's even more BS is I can see cat not warranty a primary with grinded stock weights if its like the metal material failures we have seen. I know for sure they won't warranty it with aftermarket weights as I've seen with others at my shop. Does Cat expect us high elevation guys to run 61g weights all season long and only pull 7500rpm?

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
I’ve only got 2-3 rides on my adapt so not a lot of experience yet, and it’s been a couple weeks since I rode so going off memory, but mine seems to engage between 34-3600 with the 255 spring and factory 59g(60g on country cats list). I ride 8-9000+ feet and this set up seems to pull around 82-8250rpm. I wanna say I felt like the team performed better overall. My sled was ripping at the beginning of the season before the team cracked, and while it’s running ok with the adapt I just don’t think it feels as strong. Though the snow drastically changed from then to when I finally got the adapt set up.

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
my stock '22 engaged at 32-34....bdx pipe, weights ground to 59 increased engagement to 35-36, weights ground at same angle as the bevel, nothing taken off side by itself, shift out was about 8200 rpm at 8600', with a decrease to 8000 at 10'k......next came the snyper weights with 58 grams which increased engagement to about 4000 and shift out to 8350 at 8600' with a decrease to 8100 on the hill at 10'k ; got a lot of belt burn poking through the trees with the high engagement, so took the snypers off, they might be ok for a fast rider in more open terrain, just not for exploring for me....went back to stock weights ground to 58 and added the 85-255 spring, engagement went to 34-36 with a softer engagement than the snyper weights, which i liked, shift out was 8350 at 8600' decreasing to 8200 at 10'k with hill pulling it back to 8-8100 rpm.....i like the softer engagement of the stock weights with no belt burn in powder snow.....season winding down, i'll probably grind a quarter gram more off weights unless i can get stock 58s....sled has belt drive, no washers (yet, have them for next year), driven has 44 helix with bdx orange spring, full bdx exhaust....riding elevation, 8600 to 11000'

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Sly, your burning belt puzzles me. I’m nearly that exact same set up and elevation and towed out a sled my son snapped the post off while jumping. Was warm day throwing slush last two miles and I thought I’d toast things but got back to trailer after 16 mile tow with no issues. Was tight country.

I feel I’m getting quicker rev and less belt slip.

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
my problem is belt burning only at engagement, after that, no burning....i like the snyper weights for most riding....but for crawling thru trees where i'm in and out of engagement, i get a lot of burn smell,,,engagement is about 4k with snyper weights, and very quick engagement....i like a softer engagement for powder snow and for exploring, only a problem at engagement

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Been finding out here @ 10,000' that the full BMP exhaust like to make power at 8350-8400 RPM. I am running the 59 grams and waiting for the 58's for next season-
The snyper weight like @slyrydr has found are not friendly for poking around, and seem to get hung up @ 5300rpm's ( more noticeable coming down hill ) due to the low slung belly of the weights-
Adapt seems to like the stock weights for the type of tree poking we do. 85/255 spring am seeing 3800 engagement and buttery smooth. No belt burning ever since the Adapt switch

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
I agree with bmp rpm and that’s where I’m hitting with the Snypers. Also agree with smooth engagement which further confuses me why sly is seeing issues at engagement.

We also ride absolutely undeveloped areas where we see more tree rubbing than wide open. Have not seen the downside to the snypers under those conditions. Not saying you’re not, but curious why he’s got belt burn and you and I don’t.
Running one setup on alpha, one on 18 mtn cat and both have been overall improvements.
Also have two alpha sleds w team setups still running we swap around on through the day for comparison.

M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon
160 engagement is at 4K, could be higher for me but I’m happy for now. Peak rpm with the stock weights/300 was 8000-8200 depending on how deep and heavy the snow was. 7k elevation.

Any suggestions on adjustable weights?

Jan 19, 2013
Bluffdale
I also have belt burning only in the engagement spot of the clutch. ?
Did you ever resolve the belt burning at engagement?
I’m having the same issue with a new clutch, new belt. While breaking in the belt I started noticing a squeal-chirp at engagement. I pulled the clutch when I got home and measured belt the sheave clearance at .030. I’m assuming this is the problem?

Jan 19, 2013
Bluffdale
my stock '22 engaged at 32-34....bdx pipe, weights ground to 59 increased engagement to 35-36, weights ground at same angle as the bevel, nothing taken off side by itself, shift out was about 8200 rpm at 8600', with a decrease to 8000 at 10'k......next came the snyper weights with 58 grams which increased engagement to about 4000 and shift out to 8350 at 8600' with a decrease to 8100 on the hill at 10'k ; got a lot of belt burn poking through the trees with the high engagement, so took the snypers off, they might be ok for a fast rider in more open terrain, just not for exploring for me....went back to stock weights ground to 58 and added the 85-255 spring, engagement went to 34-36 with a softer engagement than the snyper weights, which i liked, shift out was 8350 at 8600' decreasing to 8200 at 10'k with hill pulling it back to 8-8100 rpm.....i like the softer engagement of the stock weights with no belt burn in powder snow.....season winding down, i'll probably grind a quarter gram more off weights unless i can get stock 58s....sled has belt drive, no washers (yet, have them for next year), driven has 44 helix with bdx orange spring, full bdx exhaust....riding elevation, 8600 to 11000'

Sly, I’m getting some belt squeal-chirp at engagement w/ 225 spring, 58g cat weights. 8350-8400 rpm at 7000ft.
Pulled the clutch after the first 30 miles or so and measured the belt to sheave clearance at .030. Unfortunately, I didn’t do this prior to installing the new clutch. Did the 255 spring resolve the belt burn or do you know of the adapt can be shimmed?

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Did you ever resolve the belt burning at engagement?
I’m having the same issue with a new clutch, new belt. While breaking in the belt I started noticing a squeal-chirp at engagement. I pulled the clutch when I got home and measured belt the sheave clearance at .030. I’m assuming this is the problem?

I think it was belt bite for sure, a combination, going to a turbo I have less bottom end, and the weights boondocker sent were crap, it engaged pretty low then the helix was stock, new setup engages higher and 44 start angle, it gets moving easier.

Again stock never ready had the issue so to speak.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
I see .030 in my belt sheave clearance also and cant seem to find any washers in the parts breakdown to close the gap-
I am running the Adapt cat 58 grams and they weigh closer to 57.5 but find my RPM with the BMP full exhaust to like them @ 8350-8400 consistently no fade in RPM pulling a hill now.
Engagement is a bit higher @3800 still running the 85/255 OEM spring. Ride 10,500 consistently

Might just be the BMP exhaust but it feel like a lean spot running the trail around 5400-5600 RPM feel like hitting the wall till I just throttle through it -
Talked to several cat owners and they feel it pretty close to the same RPM- it's worse in the morning with coolant temps in the low 100's on the initial run to get to the deep snow.
Been reading up on it a bit and see others have stated it's a lean spot- Mine is a 2019 with the original flash.
Didn't seem to have this with the Team- but it has been a minute ( 1 year now) on my Adapt.

For the heck of it I began measuring my oil/fuel ratio- here @ my shop, and finding some of C-tec cats are using only about 8oz of oil per a 50 mile day and about 6.5 gallon's of fuel- I say that's to little oil.
My sled uses 14.7 oz to 7 gallons of fuel that about 60:1 ratio compared to almost 95:1- needless to say they are now dumping oil in their fuel tank

Last edited:

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
i use one oz oil per gal of gas in tank....changes overall ratio down to about 45:1. which i feel comfortable with
All depends what your ratio was prior to adding additional oil.
I have been seeing the 2021-2022 anywhere between 60:1 to more then 90:1 from stock had 2 more in my shop yesterday.

I do assume that people are premixing oil/gas prior to dumping into their tank.
I am old school and never added straight oil directly to a tank without premix first, even if it's in a 2 gallon fuel can but that's just my OCD

Z
Jan 26, 2011
I see .030 in my belt sheave clearance also and cant seem to find any washers in the parts breakdown to close the gap-
I am running the Adapt cat 58 grams and they weigh closer to 57.5 but find my RPM with the BMP full exhaust to like them @ 8350-8400 consistently no fade in RPM pulling a hill now.
Engagement is a bit higher @3800 still running the 85/255 OEM spring. Ride 10,500 consistently

Might just be the BMP exhaust but it feel like a lean spot running the trail around 5400-5600 RPM feel like hitting the wall till I just throttle through it -
Talked to several cat owners and they feel it pretty close to the same RPM- it's worse in the morning with coolant temps in the low 100's on the initial run to get to the deep snow.
Been reading up on it a bit and see others have stated it's a lean spot- Mine is a 2019 with the original flash.
Didn't seem to have this with the Team- but it has been a minute ( 1 year now) on my Adapt.

For the heck of it I began measuring my oil/fuel ratio- here @ my shop, and finding some of C-tec cats are using only about 8oz of oil per a 50 mile day and about 6.5 gallon's of fuel- I say that's to little oil.
My sled uses 14.7 oz to 7 gallons of fuel that about 60:1 ratio compared to almost 95:1- needless to say they are now dumping oil in their fuel tank

That is perfectly fine. They are sending oil to where it is needed instead of the old school way of just dumping it in.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
That is perfectly fine. They are sending oil to where it is needed instead of the old school way of just dumping it in.
We have seen crank failures recently and its from lack of oil- the ratio is off from sled to sled-and they are not sending enough oil where it's needed- EPA has a tight grip on standards

ratlover

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 6, 2021
Central IL
I thought I ordered the high elevation clutching when I ordered my 2022 hardcore. Maybe I didn’t or they come with 61’s? Was way low on rpm when I was at steamboat/rabbit ears last year so I ordered a Cat high elevation kit. It lists S2 60 gram weights. What came was 59 gram weights. Looking at the chart boondocker posted looks like I should try the 58 gram weights for that elevation? Spring is same regardless correct? Or at least looks like it from chart. Rabbit ears is around 9500’ right?

I was only spinning 7950 with the 59’s. Only mod is a Diamond S can. Still seems a bit low with the 59’s? Maybe have something else sapping a bit of power?

What Im more wondering is keep buying Cat weights and maybe fine tune with grinding? Or just get adjustable? Is 1 ounce in cat weights make a big difference? Guess I shoulda weighed what I got and not went off the number. Also wondering if I possibly have something else happening.

Premium Features