• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Adapt Clutch, any good?

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I have five N/A sleds that are past 3000 miles with 18 up clutches. Have yet to crack one. Additionaly have 2 adapts over 500 no issues.

My anamolies are always in an enclosed trailer and rarely ride trails.
Gotta ask… why do you have so many sleds?

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
I have six kids and we take friends with us frequently.
By your description, It sounded like the nine sleds were ridden by a bunch of Burandts and Kersterkians. Only to find they are rode by children and friends.
No need to post video. I get the picture. 3000 miles of flatland touring. Hahaha

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Ya, dead on, as indicated by the No trail miles….

And definitely no 17 year old has ever been rough on a clutch.

The 18 and up sleds are not for the friends, they are ridden hard.

Clark42

Lifetime Membership
Jun 3, 2016
Washington
IDspud I think there is a link between trail miles and failures, particularly when people fly down the trail and reach full shift. Keeping it under 35 for my short commutes in has kept mine crack-free so far.

My buddy got about 2000 out of his before a tower chunked, it failed but didn't grenade. Same program, taking it easy on the trail in/out

Last edited:

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
It’s been discussed the extra pressure on the cover when at full shift out.

Our rides are either tight slow logging trails (going in) or full load climbs where we never shift out that high.
Our access areas are more likely to need chains to get into than see other rigs with the exception of IP trips.
We ride the west side where nothings groomed when there.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
Bought a new team clutch today to replace my thousand mile one on my 19. I could of bought an adapt for the same price but no thanks
Nothing visibly wrong other than the milage

12431.jpeg

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
What did u o
Bought a new team clutch today to replace my thousand mile one on my 19. I could of bought an adapt for the same price but no thanks
What did u pay for that mofo?

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
I tried a Polaris P85 cut to a Cat taper. It was too light.
It needed a 5lb starter ring thingy to make it heavy enough.
Indy Specislties has the weight ring designed to replace the starter ring if ya wanna try it. Talk to Devin.
It takes a different belt too because if no roller bearing in the primary.
Moral of the story-failed project.
P85 clutch with Cat taper for sale. 100kms or less on clutch. Haha

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2013
Bluffdale
Does anyone know if they grease the bearings or any other part of the adapt clutch? Got my first ride today on the new clutch and it felt like the clutch was slipping bad for the first part of the ride. It would just instantly zing up to 82-8300 rpm with little to no pull and on a few occasions I believe I hit some sort of rev limiter as I would hammer it, revs would zing up fast and then it would fall on its face. This never happened before with the team. After riding for a while it seemed whatever was causing it finally wore off the sheaves as it started pulling better and rpm’s dropped to around 8150. Prior to install i scotch brited the sheaves as I have always done and washed the new belt with soap and water also as I have always done. On the hill looking at it I didn’t notice anything out of the ordinary other than the clutch was hot as hell, which is to be expected with belt slip. I ask about grease because once I got home I decided to clean the sheaves and belt again just to be safe and I noticed a bit of an oily looking substance flung on the belly pan and bottom of the belt guard in line with the moveable sheave and weight area. Anyone else experienced anything similar?

Vern, did the belt slip go away with a good cleaning? My new adapt clutch is doing the same thing…plus a little belt chirp at engagement and running hot as hell.

S

SnoPro1000

Feb 24, 2008
I have a set of Dalton adjustable weights for the adapt clutch brand new never installed.
They are 68 base weight for anyone running high hp.

I ordered the wrong ones and can’t return. Msg me for pricing
Thanks guys

Premium Features