• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutch balanceing

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
Anybody ever built a real deal clutch balancer?
Theres a used tire balancer for sale here wonder if I could start with that?
Find some junk crank shafts for various models and make an adapter of some sort
Or don't tire balancers read that small?

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Motorcycle tire balancer is what I use. $55 on Amazon

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Well, keep in mind a car rim is typically spinning at 1000RPM at most. And I'd suspect a tire balancer isn't sensitive enough, given how much more even a little economy car wheel and tire weighs than a clutch. A bubble-type balancer is better than nothing, but about like trying to gap spark plugs with a ruler. That said, I wonder if it'd be possible to modify a tire balancer: at a minimum, it might be a good starting point to build your own balancer. I have no idea what the places you'd typically send your clutch use, but I'd think it's some pretty expensive equipment.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
There's a handful of businesses that do it but Id like to have the ability myself.
Watching the Patric carbon video I wonder if that's what he has, a tool balancer
Saw fet brothers has a modified tire balancer shown on their website so I guess it must be possible. Looks like he has a big fly weight backing plate.

Premium Features