• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

9R metallic sound at engagement

blindman

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
saw metallica for the first time on may 1st 2019 . had a lotta fun

S
Feb 6, 2008
Is anyone who's switched to the P85 still hearing this noise?
I did, no change.

I shimmed the pipe up with some washers and put and mount for a second spring up by the over structure to make sure the pipe is not making contact. Still have the damn noise. Not the brakes and pretty sure not the qd. Maybe it is the flywheel. Anyhow I lost interest in finding it and just ride the darn thing.

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
I did, no change.

I shimmed the pipe up with some washers and put and mount for a second spring up by the over structure to make sure the pipe is not making contact. Still have the damn noise. Not the brakes and pretty sure not the qd. Maybe it is the flywheel. Anyhow I lost interest in finding it and just ride the darn thing.
Hahaha I'm in the same boat, did all the above still hear it no idea!!!

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID
Mine does it too. Hard to imagine that it is the flywheel to me, but maybe that is true.

T
Mar 30, 2010
There might be something in the primary loose button , broken spring, loose hardware or primary bolt? Has the secondary been taken

Fire-n-Ice Performance

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Nov 9, 2008
SE Idaho
Talking with Polaris they updated the pipe shroud for 24 on the 9R, wouldn't admit it but implied this is where this metallic sound was coming from.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I only have the 850 but had a few rattles/vibrations on it when I first got it. First, the pull start handle was rattling so bad and it took a while to locate the source. It sounded like it came from the exhaust side. A foam pad under the handle fixed that, mostly. Then lots of guys were complaining that the rigid v support under the tunnel would vibrate. I put a bead of Goop glue along each side of it. Finally I have an SLP can on mine and it comes with a metal washer to lift the pipe up so it would not rub on the bumper like in your photo. It did not lift high enough so I had to use some 1/2" x 1 1/2" box steel to make a spacer. I drilled a small hole through one side and bolted it to the bulkhead with a nut/bolt and fender washer and a larger hole on top to insert the original rubber pipe support. This raised the pipe but it is a bit tight where the pipe comes through the bulkhead. Not sure if you are hearing something else but check these.

Premium Features