• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

9R metallic sound at engagement

R
Oct 8, 2008
I am looking to possibly buy a 9R Khaos 146. The sled only has 310 miles on it and there seems to a metallic screatchy sound on the belt drive side if you blip the throttle before engagement. While riding the sled you do not hear anything. A dealer here in the Northeast said all 9Rs do it and it is the lightweight flywheel. Any thoughts on this

jeeper8650

Premium Member
Oct 18, 2016
Bearing on my quick-drive went bad and it ground all the teeth off the jackshaft over time. Covered under-warranty but I would check for play there maybe?

S
Feb 6, 2008
Both of our 9r’s make that sound when you blip the throttle when the motor is cold. Thought it was the pipe rubbing on the cross bar but haven’t been able to pin point it yet.

StuckDownHill

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 7, 2019
Mine does it too. Read that the belt drive makes noise during break in so I thought that was it. Out of break in now and still making the noise. Never could figure it out so happy to find this thread saying it’s normal?.

StuckDownHill

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 7, 2019
My pipe rattles on my bumper. There is actually quite the indentation from it. It's that Polaris fit amd finish!
Did you put a Backwoods bumper on? Reason I ask is because I noticed quite the indent on my pipe too. Wondered if it was the bumper cause never did run the stock one. Then remembered the extra rubber washer that I didn’t know what to do with when I installed it. Figured out where it went and now I have about 3/4” clearance and no rubbing.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Did you put a Backwoods bumper on? Reason I ask is because I noticed quite the indent on my pipe too. Wondered if it was the bumper cause never did run the stock one. Then remembered the extra rubber washer that I didn’t know what to do with when I installed it. Figured out where it went and now I have about 3/4” clearance and no rubbing.
I have ran both styles of Skinz bumpers on the sled. I never did run the sled with the stock bumper. I messed with it yesterday and got maybe a ¼" of clearance but I think that it will go away when I run the sled. I never paid attention to the pipe when I first changed the bumper either. Can anyone confirm that they come with an indentation? And is this a rubber washer than came with BMP's bumper?

20230319_071023.jpg

StuckDownHill

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 7, 2019
I have ran both styles of Skinz bumpers on the sled. I never did run the sled with the stock bumper. I messed with it yesterday and got maybe a ¼" of clearance but I think that it will go away when I run the sled. I never paid attention to the pipe when I first changed the bumper either. Can anyone confirm that they come with an indentation? And is this a rubber washer than came with BMP's bumper?
Yup, came with the bumper. Looked at it, said wtf is that for, and threw it in a drawer. What it is for, is you pull the existing rubber piece off the bottom of your pipe, and slide the washer on before you put it back on. Make the pipe rest a little higher and clears from rubbing.

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
the rubber washer doesn't work. The pipe still rubs the bumper. It has done this with all my sleds with bmp front bumpers as well as the polaris sentry front.

the only sled pipe that doesn't rub is my boost with the bmp. there is about 1/4" clearance. no washer either

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Yup, came with the bumper. Looked at it, said wtf is that for, and threw it in a drawer. What it is for, is you pull the existing rubber piece off the bottom of your pipe, and slide the washer on before you put it back on. Make the pipe rest a little higher and clears from rubbing.
Funny because I was looking at how to space that rubber away from the pipe to pick it up off the bulkhead more. I think that's all that would be needed to get proper clearance.

Premium Features