• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

9inch wheels, do they help keep the front end down?

S
Dec 28, 2009
I run a 2019 SKS 146. I've geared it down and swapped the track to a 2.5 peak that I got for cheap.

The thing is a wheely monster. I was wondering if having 9inch rear wheels would aid that. My thought is it would make the rear pivot point larger. Probably wont make a noticible difference but if figured I'd ask.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Where are you at with preload on both track shock springs ?? Also limiter strap setting setting ?

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Move your skid back about 3/4" inch. There might even be a hole in the inside of the tunnel for it?? The Pro-Ride Chassis had the hole. Would need to trim the limiting bar too, or whatever it's called. That'll take care of your track slack. Then loosen your front track shock all the way and crank up your rear track shock to stop the wheelies.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Just make sure and keep good notes, know where "zero" is and only do one adjustment at a time. Start with what Tuneman is saying and that front end will come down.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Years ago Racers Edge did put larger rear wheels in skids to keep the front ends down. This without an offset axle. It worked well but there will be no support for the track for the last several inches before it gets to those rear wheels. Tracks are much longer these days. You might like one of our suspension couplers although I am not sure it works on a 146??

Killer Time Racing

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2008
Lower Michigan
Maybe if it was a 146 Holz Skid but the old Torsion spring suspension does nothing but wheelie.

The Wide Body sleds are very hard to get to handle like a Tall Mountain chassis.
If you could get a Holz System in there it would be better for snow riding.
But that same design has been around since 2003 so it's proven.
The Holz Arm design has been too and was installed in most of the 2003-2009 Torsion sleds to Keep The Front Down!
Pre PRO RMK ....

Big wheels will meet your tunnel in a awesome way if you jump or go through a wash . It makes you wish you had a new track real fast. They hit like 44s on a Jeep .

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
Last sled I put 9” wheels on, i immediately noticed that it would hold a wheelie more Almost like balance on end due to larger contact, prior to big wheel kit (7”) it would come up then settle back down more so. That’s the best way I can describe it.
Did it on an apex stock engine but all lightweight goodies and people thought it was turbod cause it once it got on end it would balance and stay up like in my profile pic

frntflp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Plymouth, MN
The gear down and stiff lug track with cause this issue .......

Does the SKS have any sort of a limiter on the rear scissor ? if yes, turn that up so that under had acceleration the entire skid compresses. Sounds like that block is if the full open set up, or no block at all - meaning that when the front end comes up, the back of the rear suspension collapses - creating the wheelie effect you are seeing.

S
Dec 28, 2009
Last sled I put 9” wheels on, i immediately noticed that it would hold a wheelie more Almost like balance on end due to larger contact, prior to big wheel kit (7”) it would come up then settle back down more so. That’s the best way I can describe it.
Did it on an apex stock engine but all lightweight goodies and people thought it was turbod cause it once it got on end it would balance and stay up like in my profile pic

Thanks for the info, pretty much what I was looking to find out.

The gear down and stiff lug track with cause this issue .......

Does the SKS have any sort of a limiter on the rear scissor ? if yes, turn that up so that under had acceleration the entire skid compresses. Sounds like that block is if the full open set up, or no block at all - meaning that when the front end comes up, the back of the rear suspension collapses - creating the wheelie effect you are seeing.

My 146 SKS does not have any rear couple blocks. Its an uncoupled skid like the switchback assault.

Wait what those scissor stops do something ?
But seriously .. does the SKS have flatter rails like RMKs that still had Torsion suspensions??

My 146 SKS has torsion springs and a horizontal steering post. Its the highest 'mountain' version of the switchback assault.
The 155 SKS has coil overs and a verticle steering post. Also has stuff like a chain case and front cooler. Its the highest 'trail' version of the RMK.

Premium Features