• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

800 Dragon-SLP single-No reflash!

R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
They are shipping now. SLP includes a resistor for the exhaust sensor so that a reflash won't be required for higher elevations. 5'000' & above I believe?
The pipe fits much better than last years for the 700. Hood clearance is good, the pipe fits over the square cross brace so lower in the chasis. Fit is perfect on all components.
Kit includes the Y pipe, pipe & silencer all ceramic coated. The "Y" is a SOB to change. I had to cut a 6mm allan wrench to get on several bolts. My advice would be to leave the two easy bolts til last. I used an extension magnet to help with alignment of the wrench on 2 of the lower bolts. Will take an hour to make the change for most of us.
The only clutch change I made was from 62 to 64 gram weights. The sled ran great but I didn't have a comparison to measure performance yet. It takes more torque to pull heavier weights & I've heard about a 3 sled length improvement. SLP says 6.2 HP & -10lb's. Crisp & clean running with the pipe.
Probably room for improvement with the driven helix-needs a steeper initial angle. Drag raced a mix of 06 & 07 Doo's & Polaris 7's & 8's on a lake at 7500'. I got beat 2-3 lengths out of the hole. Not shifting quick enough so track slow to hook up in the powder. Didn't take long to pass all but a friend with the Carl's 840 BB-what a beast. One 07 Summit with a P85 primary ran good too. He pulled me 3-4 lengths to start & it took longer to catch & pass him-he was 50+ lbs lighter. I beat a stock 800 Dragon too but it was on it's first outing with a heavier rider. It will be interesting to see how the Dragon compares to the XP on the hills. I'm guessing that better clutching & track on the D will offset the lighter weight of the XP.

B

built4dtuff

Dec 17, 2002
Northern Utah
I still wonder if I made the right decision on selling my D7 for the D8. I had alot of money in my D7 I kinda think I should have just kept it and done a Carls 840.

I am waiting to pipe my 163 until the twins are released. My 155 will most likely get the single right out of the crate:) Thats IF we see three sled lenghts. Not worth the coin for a single sled length. Ill just put a can on for weight:)

Keep up the talk Ron. I especially like to hear about the D8 compaired the big bore:)

rubymountainrider

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
springcreek nv
pipe is on the way what rpm did you run with the 64 gram weights and what rpm is the pipe suppose to run at and what elavation was you rideing at. are they worth the money thanks larry.:)

R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
pipe is on the way what rpm did you run with the 64 gram weights and what rpm is the pipe suppose to run at and what elavation was you rideing at. are they worth the money thanks larry.:)
I didn't have it on tack most of the day but saw 8150 when I did. SLP says 8000-8200 & they furnish clutching specs for a stock driven with their spring & weights in the primary(68G MTX wts).
I ride at 6-8000 & a little at 5000'.
As far as worth the money I guess that's relative to what you want. Three sled lengths is "worth it" for me but the stock setup works good too. Actual weight loss is over 11 lbs & I like that too. Sound is close to stock so if you want noise this isn't for you.
I think that a 60 to 66-42-.42 initial helix angle would get rid of some track spin & improve performance too. Stock is the 56-42-.46. My dealer is Carl's Cycle so I'm just waiting for Jack to get the clutching dialed. I don't think it would be fair of me to post his clutch set up. Call them in a week or two for more up to date info.
Why do we always want just a little more???

Last edited:
R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
great news! hey ron, what can i remove from exhaust side? foam, felt padding, metal plate?? any purpose for these? and what about foam around air horn? thanks

I don't know what is correct but I removed all foam except the insul. piece attached to the exhaust side panel. I added some almn tape to the exhaust side shock tower & belly pan. The metal plate was attached to the old can & I left it out. There is more clearance around the SLP can so I'm guessing that heat won't be as big an issue. I also have vents in the shock tower & rear panels.
I was told that SLP says to leave the air horn stock (dyno'd better) when doing the Big air kit-I was in a hurry & didn't read the instructions. Wife says that's a guy thing.
Anyone else have input?

I don't know what is correct but I removed all foam except the insul. piece attached to the exhaust side panel. I added some almn tape to the exhaust side shock tower & belly pan. The metal plate was attached to the old can & I left it out. There is more clearance around the SLP can so I'm guessing that heat won't be as big an issue. I also have vents in the shock tower & rear panels.
I was told that SLP says to leave the air horn stock (dyno'd better) when doing the Big air kit-I was in a hurry & didn't read the instructions. Wife says that's a guy thing.
Anyone else have input?

Ron; Great thread, I have SLP single on order along with SLP air intake components (one 14 -189 "flow rite" and one 14-123 "high flow air horn") as this is what SLP recommended. Are you saying not to install the high flow air horn? SLP recommended not to install poweder snow pre filter kit - I am comfused.

G

GONRIDIN

SLP says to install the air horn and the intake kit, but DO NOT pull the three stock horns out of the box.

O
Nov 26, 2007
jackson, wy
when i talked to slp they said their airhorn added 2 hp..buts its easy to reinstall old one if needed. im hesitent to install exhaust side shock tower vent, seems big(slp). i guess i can seal off inside of vent if needed. i would imagine that all of the foam on exhaust side is just to keep noise reduced?

Last edited:
Premium Features