• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

583 turbo help

J
Alright so I have been building a 583 into a drag sled. I ripped it to bare chassis to sand and powder coat. Have or have on the way everything to turbo it, such as turbo, all oil and coolant fittings, fuel pump, some jets to start with, clutching, fuel pressure regulator, charge pipes, oil pump, oil resivour, etc. I plan on running it on e85, but would like some input. I will be ordering a e85 air gauge because it goes down to 6:1 afr. My question is will it run ok on e85, does 12 lbs of boost to start on e85 sound ok, and what afr should I shoot for? Thanks. New here but read these posts all the time.

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
Ideal air fuel ratio for gas is 14.7:1 in naturally aspirated engines.
E85 is 9.8:1 ideal stoich ratio.
E85 is about 100-105 octane, but has less BTU energy than gasoline, therefor you need to burn more of it to get similar HP (bigger jets)
For turbocharged gasoline, the safe AFR zone is 12.2 - 12.7:1, above 13:1 and your playing with fire and could get burned with a melted piston.
General rule of thumb is 10hp gain for every 1lb of boost. So 10psi x 10hp = 100hp over stock (~98hp) or about 198hp total
At 20psi boost (+200hp) its gonna get real interesting finding all the parts that break.

Premium Features