• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2023 Matryx Boost track creeping. Normal?

D

dsimon900kk

Mar 10, 2008
My Boost came in last week, but when the dealer was tightening my track they couldn't get the track to stop spinning on the stand.
With the P22 clutch is that normal? Seems to be running 10 mph possibly more when the rear of the sled is lifted.
When on the ground the engine doesn't bog down so I'm wondering if this is normal with the P22.
This is the first sled they have delivered with this clutch so they are somewhat lost. Polaris said they are working on a fix as they have a handful of sleds with this issue.
Figured someone from last year might have an answer here. Thanks!

S

SUMMITREV

Oct 24, 2008
Baker, OR
My Boost came in last week, but when the dealer was tightening my track they couldn't get the track to stop spinning on the stand.
With the P22 clutch is that normal? Seems to be running 10 mph possibly more when the rear of the sled is lifted.
When on the ground the engine doesn't bog down so I'm wondering if this is normal with the P22.
This is the first sled they have delivered with this clutch so they are somewhat lost. Polaris said they are working on a fix as they have a handful of sleds with this issue.
This is normal it is because the new bearing in primary clutch as part of the auto belt tension. There is no adjustment on secondary clutch anymore on the p22 equipped sleds. As soon as the track has enough friction it will stop spinning

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Your center to center may be out there as well. A tell tale sign is the belt is sucked down in the secondary.

dragonfire

Premium Member
Dec 2, 2007
Fargo,N.D.
I have the same issue with my 137 VR1 trail boost which has zero belt to sheave clearance. I think TRS motor mounts with correct lead-in and alignment would probably solve this.

S

SUMMITREV

Oct 24, 2008
Baker, OR
There is no belt deflection on the secondary so it is squeezing the belt out in turn pulling it tight on the primary. Yes there is a bearing but there is friction in every bearing. The track will spin when the sled is off the ground unless you add a belt deflection bolt back in the secondary. This is normal. Yes clutches are not perfectly shimmed from the factory or aligned. But even if they are aligned and shimmed, with no belt deflection the track will creep lifted off the ground.

D

dsimon900kk

Mar 10, 2008
Thanks for everyone's input. I appreciate the help. Does anyone have the part # for the alignment tool or a better non-Polaris version?

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
But even if they are aligned and shimmed, with no belt deflection the track will creep lifted off the ground.

You are correct in saying that a little bit of creep with the track off of the ground is ok. However, the OP said his track is spinning at 10mph or so and that is most certainly not correct. It may even be how Polaris designed it, but it's still not correct. Grooves in the sheaves is a known issue with these.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I would suspect it’s because your alignment is way off. At idle (if alignment is correct ) the belt will ride 100% on the primary bearing and not touch either the movable or stationary sheath. If the alignment is off the belt will touch one of the primary sheaves, engage the belt and turn the secondary clutch, or make the belt squeal if the secondary can’t turn. This is how you align the Cat clutches, you put it on a track stand and shim the secondary in or out until the track doesn’t turn at idle or the belt doesn’t squeal with the brake on. I’ve aligned a number of cat clutches and the track will spin at a 10mph on a stand if the alignment is off and the brake isn’t set. The clutch alignment on these matryx sleds are coming way off. I attached the cat belt alignment procedure from the cat service manual to help you understand. Not suggesting you align it this way, but it gives you an idea to go with. Get a TRS bar and do it correctly.

7CCCD175-8582-4CBA-89D0-71B42AEEABDE.png

Last edited:

carbontj

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
indianapolis
to be honest a good belt defection does have the track moving while on the stand...if you put your foot on the track will it stop and not lose RPM? Tony may have hit it each belt is a different Over all size. some smaller some longer...

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
to be honest a good belt defection does have the track moving while on the stand...if you put your foot on the track will it stop and not lose RPM? Tony may have hit it each belt is a different Over all size. some smaller some longer...
This is correct. The factory race team guys go right to the manufacturer and cherry pick for the perfect length/width belts. The public gets seconds so to speak. That’s one reason why it’s so hard to compete against factory teams. I bet no race teams sleds have track creep. Heehee

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I usually have the part’s guy hand me 5-7 belts and i pick the widest one.

Also the most consistent side cord showing.

D

dsimon900kk

Mar 10, 2008
The track is spinning well beyond typical creep. Fast enough you wouldn't want to put your foot on it.
I was leaning towards the alignment being off and I forwarded what madmax had wrote to my dealer.
I also have an alignment bar coming from TRS. Over a week into it with no solution offered from Polaris.
Thanks everyone.

Premium Features