• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2020...Good, bad, or ugly?

W
Nov 29, 2014
Personally I’m disappointed in the 2020 line up. Yes, Cat is reducing models and trying to restore profits (less carry over in theory should help resale). But not everyone wants or needs an 800 sled, and there are many folks that prefer a twin rail for versatility over the Alpha - not everyone lives in a powder filled world, and trailers their sleds ro the mountains when they can. For what new machines cost these days, I’m not purchasing anything based on a photograph and specifications that are subject to change without notice..
I only hope that Cat decides to start listening intently to their dealers (all of them) and consumers - make snow check a truly unique factory order. I’d gladly pay for a sled in season if mine is wrecked or stolen, or if I can view it in person. Maybe let the dealer decide if /what they want to order, instead of saddling them with a bunch of trail sleds they can’t sell in the western states / provinces.

I want to start by saying that I'm not trying to start an argument. Have you ridden an Alpha? For as narrow of a front end it has, the single rail has awesome trail manners. Personally, I was disappointed they didn't have a crossover with single rail.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Awesome trail manners? I disagree. That is unless you like sidehilling hard trails on one ski that are off camber. Or you have to ride off camber trails with 2 feet and all your weight on one board to keep the sled from wanting to push down hill with both skis on the ground. Even though the Alpha is better off trail and easier to throw around compared to a stock mountain cat, the mountain cat you can at least ride lazy on off cambered hard pack trails.

john6719

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2014
Awesome trail manners? I disagree. That is unless you like sidehilling hard trails on one ski that are off camber. Or you have to ride off camber trails with 2 feet and all your weight on one board to keep the sled from wanting to push down hill with both skis on the ground. Even though the Alpha is better off trail and easier to throw around compared to a stock mountain cat, the mountain cat you can at least ride lazy on off cambered hard pack trails.

I guess I don’t have any issue riding the Alpha on any trails. Buddy rode a ‘16 LTD this year and was always able to keep up to him on my Alpha 154”. Sled speed limited more than anything else.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Flat trails are no issue. But a lot of "trails" I ride in on are steeper off camber switchbacks. Where if its deep pow on them you have to sidehill them regardless of mono or dual rail.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008

Too bad.

You either get a monorail or short rail torsion springs.

Exactly like what everyone asked for.

or not

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
I want to start by saying that I'm not trying to start an argument. Have you ridden an Alpha? For as narrow of a front end it has, the single rail has awesome trail manners. Personally, I was disappointed they didn't have a crossover with single rail.
No argument here. No, I haven’t ridden an Alpha. Just because it can be made to work on the trail doesn’t mean it’s well rounded. Even Cat themselves recommended it as a deep snow only sled, suggesting the Mountain Cat would be be better suited to a wider audience. Due to work commitments, I don’t get out near as much as I used to, and sometimes the snow gods don’t bless me with epic powder. I personally ride a King Cat (A/C’s version of the Sidewinder), so an 800-850 2 stroke isn’t really my thing. I just sold a Proclimb 925 that wasn’t getting ridden...
I’m sure I’m in the minority here, but not everyone needs a 800 or 850 with a 162 x 3” unless you ride at 10000+ feet in bottomless powder all the time. Just feel that Cat should have offered a twin rail version, and perhaps a couple engine choices...

W
Nov 29, 2014

Is it as good as a dedicated trail sled? No. However, I was able to keep up with Polaris 155s down a twisty trail without working hard/leaning way over the side. Many times the guy in front of me would be starting to lift a ski in sharp turns and I could keep the front end planted. The single rail never ran hot with the scratchers down, the 3" paddles do not cause a vibration, and sled handled bumps pretty well if you ask me. Again, just my opinion.

S
Mar 25, 2015
New Hampshah
I think Yamaha's 2020 release will be telling of Cat's future.

Yamaha went the reduced lineup/spring check only route last year to dump inventory and potentially ramp up for a major release this year (according to the interwebz, of course). Given the YamaCat relationship, perhaps Cat is following in their footsteps and getting ready for 2021? Let's see what Yamahaha brings next week...

Another quick thought... In this direct-to-consumer world, what if Cat's "industry first" pricing is a direct-to-consumer sales model where you can order your new sled online just like any other product without the dealer markup??? It might be apples to oranges, but that's the way the mountain bike industry has turned and prices are a fair amount less. Just wondering out loud.

I also wonder if Cat's new pricing being announced the same day as Yamaha's 2020 release means anything...

F
Aug 18, 2013
Is it as good as a dedicated trail sled? No. However, I was able to keep up with Polaris 155s down a twisty trail without working hard/leaning way over the side. Many times the guy in front of me would be starting to lift a ski in sharp turns and I could keep the front end planted. The single rail never ran hot with the scratchers down, the 3" paddles do not cause a vibration, and sled handled bumps pretty well if you ask me. Again, just my opinion.

How would the trail manners compare to a skidoo gen 4? I’m seriously thinking of selling my summit 154x3 and buying an alpha hardcore. The only thing being I have to ride a fair amount of trail and un groomed hard pack to get to the powder.

ARCTIC

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Boise, Idaho
Alpha single rail only on 2020

Remember when the alpha skid was going to be offered for sale and then pulled off the market? Well, my dual rail M/C skid on my 2018 possibly just became valuable since there seems to be some desire to keep the dual rail. If Arctic Cat is only selling single rail sleds, I have a dual rail skid for trade:lol:

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
How would the trail manners compare to a skidoo gen 4? I’m seriously thinking of selling my summit 154x3 and buying an alpha hardcore. The only thing being I have to ride a fair amount of trail and un groomed hard pack to get to the powder.

The gen 4 rides way better down the trail. Better than any of them I think. The alpha is way more fun in deep snow and the doo is fun. Actually thought the gen 4 was the most fun in deep snow until I rode an alpha. Both fun. Pick your poison.

F
Aug 18, 2013
The gen 4 rides way better down the trail. Better than any of them I think. The alpha is way more fun in deep snow and the doo is fun. Actually thought the gen 4 was the most fun in deep snow until I rode an alpha. Both fun. Pick your poison.

When you say the gen 4 is way better what exactly do you find to be way better about it? I know the gen 4 is less tippy but do you ever find that the alpha is unrideable down trails and hard pack or do you have to just drive slower and pay more attention?

When skidoo came out with t motion everyone claimed it wasn’t good for trail riding but now it is supposed to be the best. I know arctic cat says the alpha is not trail friendly but now they scrapped the dual rail which has left me wondering how bad could it possibly be.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
The gen 4 just rides better or smoother. The alpha isn't that tippy on the trail if your front shocks are stiffer. If they are softer and narrowed up all the way then it is more tippy. The bumps are just harsher to me. The alpha doesn't just tip over on the trail like everyone, who hasn't rode them, thinks they will. Some things they are actually better at such as banking up along the edge of the trail to hit fresh untracked snow. They don't seem to get sucked over the bank or pulled into a tree like the other sleds can if you are riding lazy. Probably because the track is tilting the other way for a second.
If you pull the trigger and give it a day to get used to, you won't be sorry. If it is the first sled you ride next year the learning curve will be mild. Everyone I let ride it love it except my 2 die hard doo buddies. Easy to jump between poo and cat but the steering throws doo riders for a loop. I still have a gen 4 so it doesn't bother me.
On another note. As tippy as everyone thinks they are. An alpha will stick to a rutted out trench, in deep snow, better than any other sled I've rode.

Turblue

Lifetime Membership
Jun 11, 2004
Alberta
Remember when the alpha skid was going to be offered for sale and then pulled off the market? Well, my dual rail M/C skid on my 2018 possibly just became valuable since there seems to be some desire to keep the dual rail. If Arctic Cat is only selling single rail sleds, I have a dual rail skid for trade:lol:

Any word if they will be selling a alpha kit this year?

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Heard that second hand. I was bsing with rob kincaid today and he never said anything but guessing he doesn't have to worry about snow check.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Right on Snowest home page. Gone today....
c3bd5c447adaa12ea6c2637d5c8766a6.jpg

Premium Features