• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2019 Polaris AXYS Engine Surge

RMK900Tractor

Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2008
Eau Claire, WI
2019 Polaris AXYS 800 is surging at startup and at low RPM in the 1/8 to 1/4 throttle position. When the sparkplug boots were removed we found a dark powdery material. I think it is being caused by electrical arching.

We did not have replacement boots available so just changed the spark plugs and added dielectric grease. This seemed to make a big improvement.

My plan is to, 1) change the boots and plugs, 2) check and adjust the throttle position sensor (If needed).

Has anybody else had this issue and what did you to to resolve?

Golanda

Lifetime Membership
Aug 18, 2015
Bozeman Mt & Pinedale WY

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
I get that powder on my plugs too. I'd just blow it out every now and then, and maybe switch plugs back and forth occasionally so you're "burning" a different spot. And use dielectric grease, like you mentioned. Most of the wear seems to occur on the spark plug electrode, so eventually you'll just have to replace the plug. It wouldn't hurt to replace the wires too, if you think it's still not running right. If you want to get fancy, NGK has some pretty red wires (NGK 8054 part number). One last thing to check is to meter out the wires. You should see 5k-Ohm; sometimes the wire will break down internally, causing a weak spark.

RMK900Tractor

Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2008
Eau Claire, WI
I checked the wires but they seem okay.

Anybody know if Polaris did a ECU software update to the 2019 800 map? I have not had it check since it was new in 2019 and I am wondering if a new calibration map is avaiable.

RMK900Tractor

Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2008
Eau Claire, WI
I was finally able to figure out the internment low speed bogging issue. The issue was surging at start up and low speeds causing drivability issues. It turns out the cause was the injectors needed to be replaced.

Once I changed them, the sled run perfect at both idle and low speeds.

Once I got that figured out then soon after I was having problems with bogging when the exhaust valves started to open. Found out the exhaust valve cable had broke. Replaced that and now the sled runs perfect from idle to WOT.

Premium Features