• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2014 boondocker turbo not running right

X

x-fire800

Dec 31, 2010
So I bought a 2014 pro rmk assault with a boondocker intercooled turbo tial exhaust, 750 miles. The previous owner hadn't ridden the sled in 3-4 years. it would start good but ran crappy when loading it in the truck, i assumed it was due to the old fuel. I brought it home and removed the fuel tank and drained out all the old fuel. I put in a 50/50 mix of race/pump gas. went for a test ride around the yard and its not running right at all. It starts and idles fine but It would only rev up to 6500rpm and also has a hesitation off the bottom end. It also has dual egt gauge installed and when you rev it up the temps increase a bit then once you hit 6500rpm the exhaust temp falls likely due to unburnt fuel. when you rev it up to 6500 and let off the throttle then try to give it throttle again there is very little response for a couple seconds then it will rev back up again. brought it back into the shop to have a look at it and found that there was excessive gas/oil coming out of the exhaust at the y pipe and the exhaust pipe. removed the spark plugs and they were both wet.
I checked the following
-compression 120psi both sides
-replaced spark plugs, checked spark and it appears to have good spark on both sides.
-removed exhaust valves and cleaned
-removed and inspected reeds, they were in good condition no chips or cracks
-visually inspected pistons and they look fine
-i set the settings in the boondocker controller back to the starting numbers on the boondocker website and it was running even more rich and would only rev up to around 5000 rpm
- i played with the settings in the boondocker controller, removing fuel at all stages and it still would not run any better than i started out with, i removed the plugs and they looked more chocolaty brown but still slightly wet. the egt temps would get up to about 650f and then fall off once you hit 6500 rpm

I am going to get a new fuel filter today, not sure if that is the problem as it appears to be running to rich.
Has anyone had problems with injectors causing a similar problem or any other thoughts?

X

x-fire800

Dec 31, 2010
it appears i have found the issue. the boost sensor in the boondocker control box is reading boost when the engine is at idle causing it to overfuel. im sending the controller out to boondocker to have it repaired.

L
Oct 20, 2021
canada
hey im having the exact same issue, bought it off a guy today and took it off the trailer and noticed it was leaking a lot of brown rusty fluid from the exhaust. same sled same setup wondering how i can fix this. not to sure on what i would do to adjust this boost at idle thing like napamatt is saying here. id love to have a good tutorial video online.

C
Dec 14, 2020
hey im having the exact same issue, bought it off a guy today and took it off the trailer and noticed it was leaking a lot of brown rusty fluid from the exhaust. same sled same setup wondering how i can fix this. not to sure on what i would do to adjust this boost at idle thing like napamatt is saying here. id love to have a good tutorial video online.

Has it been hot all summer? Sounds like condensation build-up that caused some rust and it's just rusty water blowing out.

Go read the boondocker controller directions. Chances are if the controller is reading really messed up you'll need to send it in or replace some sensors.

Premium Features