• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2014/15 Big Horns N/S Snow Conditions

Lander

Premium Member
Nov 12, 2011
Casper, WY
We are heading up from Casper in the morning if anyone would like to come along, preferably somebody who knows the area. We have room for a few extra sleds.

Lander

Premium Member
Nov 12, 2011
Casper, WY
Unless it snows from now till then I would start planning on going somewhere else temps are going to be in the upper 50s and 60s again through next week . I live 15 minutes away from the horns and I will be traveling due to the crappy snow . Yes u will see the lodges posting pics of people riding and tying to make it look good but I have nothing to gain or lose by telling u the truth it flat out sucks it's the worst I have seen it ever .

Are you going up by chance tomorrow? We are looking for somebody that knows the area we could ride with, will trade you for a ride in the Madres.

N

North Star

Jan 1, 2008
SW Minnesota
According to the Bear Lodge website it looks like you are getting your snow, be safe and have fun up there.

Thanks we will see you n a couple weeks.

review of our weekend..
Got up to Bear Saturday night.. mud ice and grass.
Sunday morning eight inches at the lodge. went south past snowshoe untouched and blue skies. Awesome

Monday morning eight to ten. Went west and north. bad visibility in the morning played in trees then cleared up for a couple of hours. DEEP. Amazing.

Tuesday morning another six to eight. north then west. bad visibility again but deep in the trees. too bad we had to hit the road by noon. we figured 30 to 40 inches total up where we were at.

Great trip. Hoping for the same in 2.5 weeks in the snowies...

Lander

Premium Member
Nov 12, 2011
Casper, WY
10-11" new

We rode southwest out of Bearlodge and there is a honest 10-11" of new in the trees, not 21" like they claim at the lodge. We were trenching through the old layer below and down to dirt in some places. Our buddies rode further west than we did, seemed to think there was a little more snow. Even with the base so low and not an epic storm, it was still a great day in the trees.

Last edited:
D

deep_doo

Nov 30, 2007
Sheridan
We rode southwest out of Bearlodge and there is a honest 10-11" of new in the trees, not 21" like they claim at the lodge. We were trenching through the old layer below and down to dirt in some places. Our buddies rode further west than we did, seemed to think there was a little more snow. Even with the base so low and not an epic storm, it was still a great day in the trees.

im riding saturday and sunday . looks like we are going to get another 12 -18 through satuday . you need to head north and east of the lodge it was all up slope snow meaning the north east side of the mountain got all the snow and the further west or south you go the less new snow there was .

Lander

Premium Member
Nov 12, 2011
Casper, WY
im riding saturday and sunday . looks like we are going to get another 12 -18 through satuday . you need to head north and east of the lodge it was all up slope snow meaning the north east side of the mountain got all the snow and the further west or south you go the less new snow there was .

We rode south on FR 159 and into the trees below the ridge. The snow wasn't too bad, but the base was so marginal that we found ourselves trenching through the old layer and hitting a lot of logs. So you are saying head in the direction of Dry Fork? Next time we are hooking up with Shelby so we know where to go. We usually ride the Madres but coming up North is always an option if the snow sucks down there.

Last edited:

shelbwyo

Lifetime Membership
Jun 29, 2010
Sheridan, Wyo
f304a449a39c64d71219654b0c57a9a2.jpg
65eb050c5b2c6272778d6797e8a166fc.jpg

1-2 feet of new snow today. Had lots of fun but I don't think I've ever seen so many people parked at bear lodge, the wydot road was full to the corner and people parked to the T in the highway. Found lots of untracked snow but lots of tracks from Friday and today in the normal areas. Rode northwest and ended up at Dayton gulch warming hut. The word is definitely out that we got some snow.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
f304a449a39c64d71219654b0c57a9a2.jpg
65eb050c5b2c6272778d6797e8a166fc.jpg

1-2 feet of new snow today. Had lots of fun but I don't think I've ever seen so many people parked at bear lodge, the wydot road was full to the corner and people parked to the T in the highway. Found lots of untracked snow but lots of tracks from Friday and today in the normal areas. Rode northwest and ended up at Dayton gulch warming hut. The word is definitely out that we got some snow.

Sounds like it was almost as busy as chucky cheese in rapid city today. FML never again, NEVER again.

M

mfatty

Dec 13, 2007
sheridan
lost

There are two lost riders in the bear lodge area, please check with the lodge for a full description of riders and machines before heading out. Looks like it was cold last night and there is more snow in the forecast any help would be great. I don't know anymore information at this time but I will update if I hear anything else

SASKTOOLMAN

Premium Member
Dec 18, 2013
CANADA
There are two lost riders in the bear lodge area, please check with the lodge for a full description of riders and machines before heading out. Looks like it was cold last night and there is more snow in the forecast any help would be great. I don't know anymore information at this time but I will update if I hear anything else

Anymore info on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dgreet77

Lifetime Membership
Oct 12, 2008
And on to better news....

OH NO!!!! :)

Its a video...click it. How to embed...hmmm?

Last edited:
Premium Features