• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2015/16 Big Horns N/S Snow conditions

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
any current updates? looking to make one last trip somewhere in Wyoming in the next couple weeks before i need to get ready for planting.

Just left today. We had two really good days of riding, but we skipped the 3rd day and headed back early. We broke a track on a stump on the first day, and figured renting a second day wasn't worth it.

There are untouched places with deep snow, but they are often 100 feet from bare rocks. We played around in the Northwest area, but we were extremely far off the beaten path.

If you have the opportunity to go somewhere else, do so, since if you aren't someone who works to get into the hard to get to areas, you'll probably find crap.

The snow was beginning to get crusty too. Yesterday was sunny, and we started to have trouble breaking through the first layer in the afternoon.

In general it was the overall worst year snow depth wise I had seen in the Big Horns.

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO
We left Saturday after 3 1/2 days of riding at Bearlodge

We headed South each day and found pockets of untouched snow each day.

They need a big dump soon or their season will be done with these temps.

And yes we found lots of land mines, I got to limp mine out after finding and moving a three footer

6c73f51e24eeeee23ebdbf2602cb7326.jpg

mortelec

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2011
Crosslake, MN
We left Saturday after 3 1/2 days of riding at Bearlodge

We headed South each day and found pockets of untouched snow each day.

They need a big dump soon or their season will be done with these temps.

And yes we found lots of land mines, I got to limp mine out after finding and moving a three footer

6c73f51e24eeeee23ebdbf2602cb7326.jpg

Damn.... I can cob some things together in a bind but that throttle setup us impressive.

Rock Hound

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Central Mn
Instead of a "Gold Finger" you could call it a "Dirty Thumb"......

1 set a-arms on a cat

"s-mod" plus more on a folded up doo

3 belts on a 600 rmk

the "thumb thing"

Still better then sitting at work!

N

nytro4

Mar 13, 2011
Southern mn
Southern bighorns, lodging questions?

Has anyone been to southern bighorns this winter, just wondering what lodging or services are open on top around meadowlark, would like to go back to that area next winter, been a number of years since we were there, always liked the area, do they still groom and maintain trail systems. Just curious don't hear much anymore except for northern bighorns, been there 4 times ,need a change of scenery lol.

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO
Holy crap! When we start feeling stumps we move to another area, sounds like you guys get more aggressive!

The BigHorns trip in March is the last ride of the year for us.

So it's a ride hard and load it or pile it in the trailer when we're done deal :)

We have all summer to fix them

brandon227

Lifetime Membership
Nov 3, 2010
North East Wyoming
We ride the south side all the time. This year was the worst ever. Snow never set up and there was no base. There is a Lodge called meadowlark and the do have a few rooms. Deer haven never opened up this year. Sad to say it but I think this year is done

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
Lol I know it is bad when I can still read this thread in the middle of March! That and I didn't go out at all riding this year... Hopefully the snow is better next year and I'll be out in Rapid City Feb-May next year :D

N

nytro4

Mar 13, 2011
Southern mn
We used to stay at meadowlark cabins years ago, then started staying at deer haven, is south fork still open, I knew they used to have rooms or cabins, to bad that area can't get some good lodging on top, do they still have only 1 gas pump at meadowlark, could always stay in ten sleep and trailer up everyday, but that's a pain in the butt:face-icon-small-dis

mtnclimber19

Lifetime Membership
Mar 13, 2008
Sheridan, wy
There have been reports on the local news feeds about snowmobilers tearing up land on the Big Horns. The snow is really thin around the lodges. Please, if you decide to make the trip, trailer your sleds away from the lodges so that we are not giving ourselves a worse name than some people think of us already.

sledhead_79

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2009
Wyoming
Use your head

Really people, don't be ruining it for others. Forest Service says 6" is the minimal amount of snow that a snow vehicle can be on. If you want to abuse your sled by riding on dirt, rocks, stumps then that's is your deal, but don't be doing it in the mountains (public land), do it in your pasture.

This area, damaged by snowmobile riders, is between the North Tongue River Campground and Burgess Junction. (photo courtesy Forest Service)

http://www.kotatv.com/news/wyoming-news/some-snowmobilers-tear-up-bighorn-national-forest/38528982

BetweenNTongueCGAndBurgess---Snowmobile-damage-jpg.jpg

Last edited:

allied1

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
SE ND
Yah, don't fu#k it up for the sledders, but, wheelers do more damage there in the summer than any sled will ever do. Just say'n. Still, stay on the trail until you're out a ways!

Premium Features