• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2014/15 Big Horns N/S Snow Conditions

V

vector boy

Jan 5, 2008
Norfolk, NE
Rode 26-28 out of elk view. Snow was decent, much better in the trees than the open. Had to be careful though, found many land mines and got very lucky on a few that I didn't break anything. Probably bumper deep in the trees, maybe a couple inches in open. Should be good with their new snow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H

Hillclimbpro

Feb 11, 2010
Gillette, WY
Don't we have this thread for everyone to share the snow conditions?

I'm sure he said to check their FB page because he hasn't rode the north horns and has no info on the conditions but said to check their web page or FB page for info. He could have just ignored the post and moved on......

mortelec

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2011
Crosslake, MN
Bear Lodges last snow report from Rick on their webpage was February 20th. This thread seems to get more accurate and updated reports from riders that travel and from the locals. I appreciate all of them and the pics posted. We travel 900 miles one way to ride in the Bighorns so it's always nice to read the most up to date report.

Last edited:

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
i was there last weekend. spent one day north of high country lodge in the trees and another day 10 miles south of bear lodge (trailered down to that parking area along the road, the rode west about 5-7 miles). 90% of it is is wind blown and sucks. the few places i did see with powder to play in, it was below average and there was no base. you HAVE to find something that does not have tracks since the last storm, otherwise the snow is garbage. you have to ride through trees to find open areas that are "hidden" from the average person if you want to boondock in open areas. trenching down to the dirt in the trees was a common sight. i felt the track bouncing off objects when digging through the snow in the trees. there must have been literally nothing there before this last storm that dropped 1-2 feet.

if you are making a trip to "play in the meadows".....dont waste your time because its all wind blown and hard. you must get into the trees to find soft enough snow to carve around in. cant speak for all areas, but thats the report from what i seen. here is a video to show you some of the better snow i saw. this was approx 10 miles south and then 7 miles west of bear. snow like this was a common sight in trees........but dont expect it anywhere else. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Titvr7MlBg0

and please dont call me a liar if you found better stuff. i told you where i was, and this is what i saw. there might be better snow in other places.........but unless its protected from the sun and wind, i wouldnt bank on anything too great.

Last edited:

shelbwyo

Lifetime Membership
Jun 29, 2010
Sheridan, Wyo
I rode last Saturday and found similar conditions as bocephus. Rode hunt mountain area also, better in the trees than in the open. I never had a problem trenching or hitting anything, pretty good snow coverage now. I was surprised that the snow had set up that fast since the last storm, it really didn't get warm so I don't know what happened. There were lots of people up there, bear lodge was pretty much packed and a bunch of rigs at elk view so there are lots of tracks. The storm from yesterday didn't do much of anything. Been a poor winter so far and the forecast doesn't look promising either. Might go try to ride the south horns sometime to see what it's like. Sorry no pictures

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
I just got back from there too. Must have been all those Burandt riders that tracked everything up! They sure had a lot of trailers full. Found decent snow both west and south but you do have to sneak into the back areas to find it.

Last edited:

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
tracks

rode to the northwest of bear and there were tons of tracks anything in the open was pounded hard maybe if you get farther away but we rode 20 miles from the lodge and still found lots of tracks.

mortelec

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2011
Crosslake, MN
We are in the horns right now . Seems to be plenty snow to be found. This warm weather will take its toll on it though .

20150306_124731.jpg

N

nytro4

Mar 13, 2011
Southern mn
Anyone in northern bighorns today, wondering how things are holding up with the heat wave, we have 10 people driving 12 hours tues to ride .

Knox

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2010
North Dakota
Rode Friday and Saturday, Friday brought us up to freeze out point, good snow in the trees in the morning however by mid afternoon it what starting to set up. Saturday we rode north of high country lodge, found some deep sugary snow in the trees, it was go anywhere type of snow, still was able to have fun on some climbs and drainages. Had another group of friends go south off of "C" trail said they found over the hood powder around there and south of snowshoe lodge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mortelec

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2011
Crosslake, MN
We rode today. Rode south of bear approx 15 miles. You've got to get off trail a long ways to find untracked snow. At 9000' + the snow hadn't set up where we we at today. We found bottomless snow in the trees. the three of us agree that it's some of the best riding we have had here in March in the last couple of years. When we got back to the lodges about 5:00 the snow was definitely soft and setting up around bear and arrowhead.

N

nytro4

Mar 13, 2011
Southern mn
Hopefully snow will stick around for a week, have some new guys coming with this year that never rode out west, I hope it turns out okay for snow cond.

02SummitX800

Lifetime Membership
Oct 2, 2009
Looking to head out west somewhere this Thursday and ride this upcoming weekend.. Any updates on the snow? Where to go? What is the weather forecast looking like? Snow going to stay together or any chances for new snow? Any help greatly appreciated..

mortelec

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2011
Crosslake, MN
Rode today 15-20 miles south of bear then east. This morning we found very good snow. 9800' -10000' was not setup at all this morning or did it suffer from the earlier warm temps these past few days. . We worked our way back north all afternoon and the further north we went the worse the snow got. Don't want to be the bearer of bad news but saw water on the trail in areas. Temps were very warm even at 5 pm today. Fortunately we timed this trip well. Riding the last 5 days and trying many areas I would suggest heading 15 miles south of bear and heading east.

Premium Features