• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2008 RMK 600 CFI keeps burning up ECU's

K
Feb 25, 2011
anyone have any insight as to why I have burnt up 4 ECU's? ECU burns up at idle, very shortly after starting the sled, like within seconds of starting. when it goes there's smoke, a burnt electronic smell, and what I assume is some sort of capacitor oil leaking out of the ECU. It doesn't happen every time the sled is running but its happened twice in the last month, and of course it makes me nervous of being stranded somewhere.

-I have updated the voltage regulator to the newer one, disconnected it while the sled was running and tested it, no over voltage.
-I have not had any flickering lights, I have no E-start therefore no battery, but i do have a battery light which i assume reads system voltage. its always showing full battery life
-I have replaced the chassis relay
-I have added ground wires from the ECU mounting plate to the clutch guard, and from the clutch guard to the bulkhead
-I tested the stator and its reading the correct ohms
-I inspected all my wiring for shorts, or damage and found nothing

I'm not defeated, its a simple electrical system. But I'm just going in circles right now and I cant afford to keep buying new ECU's to troubleshoot

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
I think the EFI circuits off the stator go directly to ECU to control the injectors... not sure though, I would again replace the VR with a known good one (I know with the 700s and 800s there was a number of revisions on part numbers on the VR, and ONLY the absolute latest one would protect the ECU when it fails). The other possibility is your stator, even though it ohm's out right. (I still have a spare good VR from my Dragon days, not the latest part number, but also not the known bad early model, I kept it as a spare in case the newest VR blew and basically left the system dead rather than fried and I was stranded). I have heard negative things about the generic VRs on ebay too, I would steer away from them.

L
Dec 7, 2007
SWEDEN
Anyone have any insight as to why I have burnt up 4 ECU's ?
When it goes there's smoke, a burnt electronic smell, and what I assume is some sort of capacitor oil leaking out of the ECU.

I think the EFI circuits off the stator go directly to ECU to control the injectors... not sure though, I would again replace the VR with a known good one
( I know with the 700s and 800s there was a number of revisions on part numbers on the VR, and ONLY the absolute latest one would protect the ECU when it fails ).
My friends ( 2008 ) RMK 600 CFI ( 4-injectors ) just totally burned the ECU :mad:

On the ECU there is 2 different Polaris part #'s

# 4011518
# 4012006

YELLOW coded injectors.

What ECU can replace the one that burn out ?
Can the ECU from the 700 and 800 be used ?
Why does it have 2 different part numbers ?
Which VR is the latest ? Part # ?

Premium Features