• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2007 Summit X 800 project, '06 motor?, need some help, thanks

P
Feb 1, 2010
SW MT
Hi Everyone. I just picked up a 2007 Summit X 800 151 for pretty cheap and need to give it some luvin. It apparently has a 2006 motor, though I'm not sure how to tell if it is an '06.

On the PTO side of the cylinder intakes it says:
402D/1 3

or, because the 6 looks like an 8 and the D looks like a 0,

4020/1 3

On the top of the mag it reads:

I'm pretty sure I need an ECM for it because it's missing and I don't think the previous owner has it. Any advice for buying a used one? Needs to be an '06? Matching key right?

It also needs carb-boots. I was planning on complete Boyseens to eliminate the rubber boots. Anyone have a good deal on some?

I also plan to install T-motion and a 2.5 x 154 inch track along with a narrower front end.

Also thinking of doing a small/narrow seat setup. Maybe a springer-type thing?

I'm tearing it down to clean it and put it back together right now.

Thanks for any input!!

Wyorever

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW, WY
Bummer if they really took the 800R and put in a HO Ptek, not that they aren't good motors, but the 800R is better.

I made this seat a couple of years ago on my 04 and currently use it on my 07 as well. If I can find the right gripper seat material I'm going to make it a little bit taller and add in seat storage to get non essentials out of my back pack.

And a another on my 07.

P
Feb 1, 2010
SW MT
Two cylinders. So it's an '06?

I need an ECM. Does it have to be an '06? There are some decently priced used ones with DESS keys on Ebay.

Thanks.

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
ECM

If the motor is an 06 it is the first year of the Ptek and has the 3 Stage RAVE valves. The ECM for that year is unique and you either have to have the 2006 version or have an ECM that is capable of being flashed to the 2006 specs.

P
Feb 1, 2010
SW MT
ECM

Thanks.

I bought a used 06 ECM and the port does not match the plug in the wiring harness. :face-icon-small-fro The plug is much smaller than the ECM port. I assume it is the 07 harness. I think the gauge was switched too because there is a piece of tape on the back of it with 05 written on it. That makes me think it was a used one that someone got from a part-out.

I have torn everything down, cleaned and reassembled the sled. I'm just waiting on some fuel line pieces to get it running and figure out the ECM issue.

I will try to get some pictures up.

P
Feb 1, 2010
SW MT
Running!!

So I got it all back together and running without an ECM. It starts right up and runs and revs fine, but it doesn't want to idle. I'm sure the carbs need some adjusting. It also needs plugs and I'm sure new wires wouldn't hurt.

Any suggestions on the ECM? I think I can still return the used 06 one I bought on Ebay. Or I can sell it. Should I find one that fits the plug, try to swap to a different plug or swap the entire harness?

Now I need a 154x2.5 track, XP skid with Tmotion and a narrow front end from Alternative Impact. Your stuff is the best Dan!

This sled is for my lady Abby. She is moving up from a REV 600 144 that thinks and acts like it's an 800. I'm kind of scared about what she will doo on an 800 with a narrow front and bigger track. She already makes some of our buddies cry.

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
ECM controls the DPM

Without the ECM will the DPM work? You may run but be sea level pig rich.

P
Feb 1, 2010
SW MT
big wheel kit?

So I bought a used CE 154x2.5 track and some 440 drivers. I'm thinking of trying to make it fit with a big wheel kit for now. If that will work, then I will get a T-motion skid after buying some Alternative Impact a-arms.

Any suggestions on an affordable big wheel kit? What size? Thanks.

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
Find you an 06 harness, cheaper than trying to change the ECM plug. The pin receptacles alone will set you back way more than the cost of a used harness. A lot of the 07's had corrosion problems at the pins, relocate the ECM to the top of the oil tank when you get her back together

Wyorever

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW, WY
So I bought a used CE 154x2.5 track and some 440 drivers. I'm thinking of trying to make it fit with a big wheel kit for now. If that will work, then I will get a T-motion skid after buying some Alternative Impact a-arms.

Any suggestions on an affordable big wheel kit? What size? Thanks.

I used Avid 9" plastic wheels on my 04 w/154.

P
Feb 1, 2010
SW MT
2005 motor

So after all the BS, I believe it's an 05 motor. :frusty: The 06 wiring harness doesn't match the harness in the sled. The 05 harness diagram doesn't match the ECM/CDI plug of the 06/07. The CDI plug of the 05 harness goes into the MPEM. The 06 and 07 have the same CDI plugs for the separate ECM. The plugs on the MPEM in the sled are different than the 06 harness.

It starts and runs fine, but still dies out with the choke off. I cleaned the carbs pretty well, but maybe I need to go through them again. What jets should be in there for Montana elevations? How many turns out on the air screws? It has been years since I worked on a REV 800.

I should have the new drivers tomorrow and the 2.5 track is going in.

Premium Features