• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2004 600HO Rear Suspension Help?

B
Feb 15, 2008
Logan,ut
track gets tight

Here is what Mike from Xtreme has found out, with no shocks on the suspension the track gets tight and does not alow the travel to work. The thought is that it doen't have alot to do with how your are valved or spring rate if the track is tight after 4 inches then you only have 4. He has made longer arms that solves this problem, so far so good not alot of testing done yet. I'll let you know more when we fix the trailer and all three hawk that went down yesterday. Should of had 4x4 that day!!!

Dec 10, 2008
There could be a cure to the falling rate leverage ratio.

What if we moved both shocks outside the skid frame rail area and reposition the shocks more upright ???

This could involve moving the stand and cutting some plastic but...

We could then be free from having the whole thing fold flat in the track when compressed and have a rising rate with no link like the newer KTMs.

The shocks would also be much more accessible for adjusments.

Just a thought for now but I may very well do it !!!

What do you think ???

That could still be accomplished inside the frame rails. But these springs are still way to stiff.
I have been reading your guys post about the 600 rear suspension I agree its to stiff I had called coil spring specialty's today and told them I was looking for a pair of progressive rate coil spring 250lb to 500lb and they could make them for $250.00 a pair This is my guess on the rate but I am new to riding one of these hawks only three hours of trail riding being it is my first time. What does anybody else think on the ratings?

B
Jan 12, 2008
hamburg,ny
ok

so here is my situation....i have a 503 with a 600 rear suspension on it....stock springs are way to stiff...untill you land from a jump or bigger whoop and blow through the travel and bottom out. i have put in my 503 rear springs(185-465lbs progressive rate) still to stiff on the small rutted choppy stuff like a low snow condition corn field...felt way better after a big hit,didnt bottom.... i have now takin off the front spring but have yet to ride it since the snow is not getting past the rockies! we have nothing in the east! i will repost again if we get snow this week. next step is gonna be a revalve if this doesnt work..... i think im getting somewhere though......

S
Nov 27, 2007
i have put in my 503 rear springs(185-465lbs progressive rate) still to stiff on the small rutted choppy stuff like a low snow condition corn field...felt way better after a big hit,didnt bottom.... next step is gonna be a revalve if this doesnt work..... i think im getting somewhere though......

A cometent revalve to match your "new" spring rates will handle the early stiff dampening issue on the stutter bumps.

T
Nov 29, 2007
Morrsitown Vermont
I found my 04 600 suspension to be more supple after lowering it. The relative angle of the swingarm changes when you lower it. The angle of the swingarm is reduced which gives you more initial leverage to start.. Just my observations

B
Jan 12, 2008
hamburg,ny
ok my 503 with a 600 rear suspension is getting way better! i have the 503 springs with progressive rates and took off the front shock spring. ride way better but still needs a little valving change. the big whoops and jumps and really fast trail stuff is great but its a bit harsh for the small stutters or slower speed stuff. its livable but im gonna pull the shocks and have the valving changed to soften up the 1st 1/4 of the travel. should be "the" set up for the stiff 600's!

ok my 503 with a 600 rear suspension is getting way better! i have the 503 springs with progressive rates and took off the front shock spring. ride way better but still needs a little valving change. the big whoops and jumps and really fast trail stuff is great but its a bit harsh for the small stutters or slower speed stuff. its livable but im gonna pull the shocks and have the valving changed to soften up the 1st 1/4 of the travel. should be "the" set up for the stiff 600's!
I agree with you I had a chance to ride my 600 all day with the front spring off now it is to soft for rough trails I put it back on and rode it all day in the lower position on all three and it is perfect for rough trails if you ride is fast but lower speed choppy little bumps the valving needs to be less. I weigh 220lbs so the suspension is OK for me it seems to get better with time.

G
Jan 19, 2008
My 2004 600HO rear suspension has kicked my *** since I bought it, great in the deep powder and pretty tough to ride in all other conditions. Based on the manual recommendation of sag 3 to 4 inches of sag, and this forum I decided to see if the Hawk could be improved. Checked my sag and basically there was none with me on it, 220 lbs, checked the preload on the shocks this and found the vertical shocks at zero preload and the front shock was set at 33mm from the base of the threads to the locking ring. Took all the preload from the front shock and maybe got about one inch of sag with rider, so it is way too stiff, just as I have always suspected but never did anything about it since I mainly only rode it when the snow was deep.

Will be trailering the 600 home and pulling the shocks and replacing the springs with lighter springs. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Get the dual rate spring they use on the 503, works great. Makes it soft for the little bumps but keeps it from bottoming out on the bigger ones.

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
best start

call scott from Idaho and get a set of relocating plates for your rear swingarm pivot. I rode his 600 and can say it works great on the chop with all 3 springs installed. We got a set for one maching already. 150.00$ fix well worth the money. you can also drop the pegs with this plate if you want.

Premium Features