• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Progressive Rear Suspension Springs (Velocity)?

J
Dec 15, 2021
Victor
Does anyone know of a company doing progressive springs for the Velocity shocks? Specifically, I'm interested in a progressive wind for the rear track shock. Right now the only way I can get my sled to work as I want is to run very little sag out back which makes for a super heavy feeling front end. My idea is to run more sag with a progressive spring wind which should help prevent bottoming and resist excessive transfer at the point of sag. I see the Z-Bros option but it doesn't look progressive...anyone know of anything?

DBRK

Lifetime Membership
May 7, 2008
Bozeman MT
Does anyone know of a company doing progressive springs for the Velocity shocks? Specifically, I'm interested in a progressive wind for the rear track shock. Right now the only way I can get my sled to work as I want is to run very little sag out back which makes for a super heavy feeling front end. My idea is to run more sag with a progressive spring wind which should help prevent bottoming and resist excessive transfer at the point of sag. I see the Z-Bros option but it doesn't look progressive...anyone know of anything?
I am having the same issue. I currently have the front track spring cranked down and less preload on the rear. The transfer feels good but I can easily bottom it out. I was thinking about trying a higher spring rate front track spring thinking that would allow me to run more preload on the rear track spring without making the front end too heavy.

Does anyone know a higher rate front track spring that will work with the velocity shocks? I'm thinking there should be a Polaris OEM option, but I'm having trouble figuring out what that would be.

I've looked at the Raptor triple rate springs, but it looks like those do not include the FTS for velocity shocks.

U
Jul 20, 2016
Montana
I know you're looking for a spring instead of shock package but that Evol chamber on fox shocks is kinda built for exactly that. Gives a whole bunch of room to play with the curves by adjusting main chamber and Evol chamber. Sounds like you want to run your main chamber on the lower side and maybe ramp up the Evol chamber

J
Dec 15, 2021
Victor
I know you're looking for a spring instead of shock package but that Evol chamber on fox shocks is kinda built for exactly that. Gives a whole bunch of room to play with the curves by adjusting main chamber and Evol chamber. Sounds like you want to run your main chamber on the lower side and maybe ramp up the Evol chamber
Great idea.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
The hi/lo cartridge on the velocity shocks isn’t working as you would expect.
The high speed adjustment basically does nothing no matter where you set it.
The low speed adjustment works from completely closed to the second or third click.
Hygear has built a few protos and is testing a cartridge to address this.

Last edited:

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.

2nd this along with a Khaos limiter.

Spiderman

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Mn
The low speed adjustment works from completely closed to the second or third click.
Can you explain this further....so they are basically useless for adjustments?

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
As I said, very little adjustment for the amount of detents available.
I could show you pictures of internals of the cartridge, but would be useless without a complete understanding of how they work.

J
Dec 15, 2021
Victor
2nd this along with a Khaos limiter.
The sled is a Khaos. In dead stock form I was bottoming front and rear like crazy, plus it was a wheelie machine.

The best setup thus far has been to suck the limiter in 1/2" and go to an old Assault style rear shock out back (needle valve). This was a killer steep tree setup on the 55 but my gawd was my front end heavy.

Since, I've tried to pull it back to something in the middle. Went back to stock khaos limiter length and the stock khaos shock (just to see).

I think the best mix would be to go with the assault shock with the right spring package but I also think there is a lot of room to improve all of this.

J
Dec 15, 2021
Victor

Yeah, I noticed this anecdotally. The velocity shocks look cool and feel good in the garage, but from a forces perspective nothing special, especially if you ride hard or are bigger. I'm guessing I could revalve firmer across the board (LSC/HSC/LSR) but I really would prefer a shock with bottom out control (like the needle valve, or an air shock).

All that said, damping alone isn't going to solve my problem (I don't think). I need both position and speed sensitivity.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
The sled is a Khaos. In dead stock form I was bottoming front and rear like crazy, plus it was a wheelie machine.

The best setup thus far has been to suck the limiter in 1/2" and go to an old Assault style rear shock out back (needle valve). This was a killer steep tree setup on the 55 but my gawd was my front end heavy.

Since, I've tried to pull it back to something in the middle. Went back to stock khaos limiter length and the stock khaos shock (just to see).

I think the best mix would be to go with the assault shock with the right spring package but I also think there is a lot of room to improve all of this.

Pros go with a Khaos limiter and Khaos go to a Pro limiter.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Yeah, I noticed this anecdotally. The velocity shocks look cool and feel good in the garage, but from a forces perspective nothing special, especially if you ride hard or are bigger. I'm guessing I could revalve firmer across the board (LSC/HSC/LSR) but I really would prefer a shock with bottom out control (like the needle valve, or an air shock).

All that said, damping alone isn't going to solve my problem (I don't think). I need both position and speed sensitivity.

I have been trying to get a respectable revalve in them for 3 years. The clicker just doesn’t allow you to get much of a change with any valving.
We absolutely need a new shock.

J
Dec 15, 2021
Victor
I had Jack Struthers (Carl's Cycle) do a revalve. I'm very impressed so far. Few thoughts...

1) Lots more support up front and out back.
2) The 210 spring is a much better fit for me.
3) I am yet to bottom the shocks out - didn't send anything big today, but this is a marked improvement.

Overall, this was a much bigger upgrade than I expected. I feel a lot more comfortable pushing the sled at speed and its getting up on the snow a bit faster.
$ for $ this is a good one...

Premium Features