• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Indy Lite Experts Please Help

A
Dec 13, 2023
vermont
So i have a 1991 340 Indy Lite project sled that i plan to fix up for my daughter, it is a direct drive sled the suspension mounts have been moved back 2 inches and appears to have a 7 tooth driver swap and 121 track . The sled has some issues and i'm trying to decide what to do with it. Probably the biggest issue is the rear suspension, the spring in the front of the skid is broken (no front shock just a single tension spring like the two in the rear) and i cant find one anywhere (part no. 7041176) also the rear shock is blown out and the rear springs are shot. Next issues are the clutches, the primary is cracked and the secondary (keyed shaft not splined) is worn out and wobbles on the drive shaft. Now i have a edge chassis that if i remember correctly has a Fuji 488 fan that's blown up, how hard would it be to swap the skid and chaincase from the Edge to the Indy Lite? Will a p85 clutch work on the 340 engine? Should i just buy 2 clutches and try to fab up some mounts to run a shock with spring in the front of the skid? Maybe swap the 340 into the Edge chassis although i wanted the indy lite for its smaller size. Or just scrap the project keep it for parts and find a better condition Indy lite.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I had a '94 Indy Lite that had electric start and the chaincase. I installed a 136x1.5" track, plastic skis, skid plate, mountain bar, hydraulic brake, dash bag, etc. It was a phenominal kids sled. Kid hit a tree and I ended up with a '92 for parts. The direct drive uses a different clutch (P90) that you know about which has a different taper so not interchangeable with the P85. I tore the rear skid out and was baffled how that could be any fun.
After comparing the two models, I don't think I would waste any time on a direct drive unless I owned it and it was in good working condition. You are not wrong that the size is perfect for kids to learn on and be comfortable with. If you have options for others in your area I would see what you could find and go from there.

IMGP6209.JPG IMGP5265.JPG

Bushwacker1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Wisconsin
So i have a 1991 340 Indy Lite project sled that i plan to fix up for my daughter, it is a direct drive sled the suspension mounts have been moved back 2 inches and appears to have a 7 tooth driver swap and 121 track . The sled has some issues and i'm trying to decide what to do with it. Probably the biggest issue is the rear suspension, the spring in the front of the skid is broken (no front shock just a single tension spring like the two in the rear) and i cant find one anywhere (part no. 7041176) also the rear shock is blown out and the rear springs are shot. Next issues are the clutches, the primary is cracked and the secondary (keyed shaft not splined) is worn out and wobbles on the drive shaft. Now i have a edge chassis that if i remember correctly has a Fuji 488 fan that's blown up, how hard would it be to swap the skid and chaincase from the Edge to the Indy Lite? Will a p85 clutch work on the 340 engine? Should i just buy 2 clutches and try to fab up some mounts to run a shock with spring in the front of the skid? Maybe swap the 340 into the Edge chassis although i wanted the indy lite for its smaller size. Or just scrap the project keep it for parts and find a better condition Indy lite.
The direct drive sleds used a 116 x 2" pitch track with smaller drivers ( i think 5 tooth). The smaller drivers made up some of the gear reduction needed to run without a chain case. I think the driven clutch may have been larger also for this same reason. The P 90 was used on the 340 but it may be possible to find a p85 that will fit that crank. The fuji 488 clutch you have would be worth looking at to see if it will fit. The taper on the clutches are all the same with the difference between them being how deep the taper is cut into the clutch. They stared to bore them deeper to get more surface area to grip the crank better as hp went up. This resulted in the opening at the bore to be larger which most will call out that opening size as a different size taper. I seem to remember these as being 28, 30, 32 MM. There were also different castings with and without a raised offset hub on the back of the clutch. Without were usually flat across the back. The p 90 clutches also used a narrower belt so your drive clutch and driven need to be set up for the belt width you want to run. Belt lengths were also different between the direct drive and chain case sleds. The track swaps to 121 tracks usually end up using larger diameter 2.52 pitch 9 or 7 tooth drivers which hurts the gear ratio on the direct drive sleds. I believe 1990 and 1991 Indy lite sleds were all direct drive with the chain case being added after that. Getting a chain case on your sled would be much easier by finding an Indy lite parts sled that has the chain case, driveshaft, jackshaft and clutches. If I remember correctly the drive axle position in the bulkhead is also higher to make room for the driven mounted to the drive shaft, so a chassis or bulkhead swap would be the quickest way as it would just be nuts and bolts and rivets compared to drilling and relocating drive shaft and properly locating the chain case. A wedge Indy chain case might be a close swap but moving to the edge chassis chain case would most likely have a different center to center distance from jack shaft to driveshaft. As far as suspensions the newest Indy Lites around 1999 and up came with the Extra Lite rear suspension which was a big improvement.

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
Too much time and too much money req'd to fix it. Used sleds that require minimum investment of time and money would be my choice. 33 years old! I have 20 year old sleds and parts are starting to get to be hard to find, but I don't have to spend money on experimenting with non-stock parts that you can't sell when they don't fit right.

A
Dec 13, 2023
vermont
The direct drive sleds used a 116 x 2" pitch track with smaller drivers ( i think 5 tooth). The smaller drivers made up some of the gear reduction needed to run without a chain case. I think the driven clutch may have been larger also for this same reason. The P 90 was used on the 340 but it may be possible to find a p85 that will fit that crank. The fuji 488 clutch you have would be worth looking at to see if it will fit. The taper on the clutches are all the same with the difference between them being how deep the taper is cut into the clutch. They stared to bore them deeper to get more surface area to grip the crank better as hp went up. This resulted in the opening at the bore to be larger which most will call out that opening size as a different size taper. I seem to remember these as being 28, 30, 32 MM. There were also different castings with and without a raised offset hub on the back of the clutch. Without were usually flat across the back. The p 90 clutches also used a narrower belt so your drive clutch and driven need to be set up for the belt width you want to run. Belt lengths were also different between the direct drive and chain case sleds. The track swaps to 121 tracks usually end up using larger diameter 2.52 pitch 9 or 7 tooth drivers which hurts the gear ratio on the direct drive sleds. I believe 1990 and 1991 Indy lite sleds were all direct drive with the chain case being added after that. Getting a chain case on your sled would be much easier by finding an Indy lite parts sled that has the chain case, driveshaft, jackshaft and clutches. If I remember correctly the drive axle position in the bulkhead is also higher to make room for the driven mounted to the drive shaft, so a chassis or bulkhead swap would be the quickest way as it would just be nuts and bolts and rivets compared to drilling and relocating drive shaft and properly locating the chain case. A wedge Indy chain case might be a close swap but moving to the edge chassis chain case would most likely have a different center to center distance from jack shaft to driveshaft. As far as suspensions the newest Indy Lites around 1999 and up came with the Extra Lite rear suspension which was a big improvement.
Thank you ive decided to look for another Indy Lite and will keep this one as parts or slowly fix it up as parts pop up.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Don't expect to find the parts cheap. I was blown away at the price of the windshield support piece. Found this grungy one on eBay for $175 so I sold mine thinking I ought to get close. Beat it by $2.50

Ebay 1.jpg Ebay 340 Headlight Support.jpg

Premium Features