• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2002 Summit 800 jets?

H

Hansen13

Oct 22, 2011
Cranbrook, BC, Canada
Looking to jet my summit, usually running between 6000-8000 ft. It still runs up there, but not enough to do anything, literally. My brother quotes "A friggen Bravo's got more power than this thing." haha. Just curious as to what others are running and around what elevation, and if you have tips or pointers feel free to enlighten me, thanks!

02SummitX800

Lifetime Membership
Oct 2, 2009
i ride in the same elevation and i run 410's in my 800 ho
03 and newer 800HO have hooded carbs therefore they have completely different jetting then the 02 and earlier sleds. That being said dont try to jet down to 410 you wont make it far.

First off have you done a compression test to make sure that your engine dosnt have any problems. Second that sled should have dpm and in that case as long as that is functioning correctly it should not matter what altitude you are ridding at. Third you need to make sure your oil pump is functioning correctly and not pumping too much oil.
There could also be air flow restrictions, or the carb choke not set right. There has to be something that is not correct for your power to be off. You need to fid the cause before you start changing other things or you will be chasing your tail.
What you need to do is check the things I mentioned, then you need to jet down one jet size as a time tell you get your piston wash and plug reeding perfect.

H

Hansen13

Oct 22, 2011
Cranbrook, BC, Canada
The engine has about 200km on a rebuild. how do I check to see if it's pumping too much oil, and if it is how would I go about changing it. I was told that the DPM helps compensate for air and altitude, also that if it was unhooked that the sled would run better?

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
500's are stock and it will run fine at any elevation. Your problem doesnt sound like jetting but a engine issue as mentioned in another post. There were piston ring flaking issues back then.

02SummitX800

Lifetime Membership
Oct 2, 2009
Who ever told you that unplugging your dpm is wrong, plug it back in and should run fine, if there is no change then the dpm is not working and needs to be replaced, or fixed.

And yes 430 were stock in 2003 the 2003 had HOODED CARBS, 2002 had NONHOODED CARBS and require bigger jets, they were 510 or 530 stock i think.

Get your dpm working and go from there.

H

Hansen13

Oct 22, 2011
Cranbrook, BC, Canada
I never did unplug my dpm, don't like messing around with any of that stuff, so maybe I'll try my other dpm off my parts sled this weekend, what plugs dp you run usually?

sledr4life

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
I believe the 02/03 used BR9ECS. 01 used BR9ES Different gap the plug is supposed to come pre-gapped

Make sure all the hoses fit tight on the DPM fittings. if they are loose, it will not compensate right.

H

Hansen13

Oct 22, 2011
Cranbrook, BC, Canada
I believe the 02/03 used BR9ECS. 01 used BR9ES Different gap the plug is supposed to come pre-gapped

Make sure all the hoses fit tight on the DPM fittings. if they are loose, it will not compensate right.

Okay I'll check The dpm Out tonight and see, I have been bouncing between forums seeing other peoples opinions and some people are running one BR9ES and one BR9ECS. I guess they switched plugs in 2002 because the 9ES were Having backfiring problems when you'd shut it down? I'm gonna stick with BR9ECS plugs, just hope to figure this out and get it running right!

J
Dec 1, 2007
wyoming
dpm is garbage works buy pulling vacuum on the carbs float bowls to lean out the mixture good idea in thery but never that great makes me sick thinking abot what kinda garbage it is. unhook plug the lines and jet it i dont remeber what i put in my o1 to make it right a little trial and error. i think it was 410s

Summit8

Premium Member
Oct 13, 2001
Fairview, MT
Well, I wouldn't say all the DPM manifolds were junk, but between the 02 HOODED NEEDLE JETS, flaking ring issues, and dpm's being calibrated rich, that year wasn't the best. I rode mine stock for a couple years, then it just started to run crappy rich, got rid of the 520N jets for some 510 or 500's, one or the other. Xtreme Performance down in Colorado was doing a carb rebuild on the 02 carbs at the time, setting them up with hooded neddle jets, adj. needles, pilots, mains, dpm unhooked, lines plugged and vented to the airbox. I choose to install Jack Harris Power Jets to the carbs so I could give them more gas when jumping between elevations, gotta run egt gauges with this setup, or read plugs and know your setup.
I eventually put an RKT head on and the sled wouldn't run right, just boggy. Realized it was rich with 480 mains, ended up down around 410 mains with the RK Tech head,14.5:1 domes running 50/50 race gas and premiun at low alt., premium at altitude.
For you I would advise checking your compression, if it's low or uneven, get a set of SPI double ring pistons, and caged needle bearings, find a set of carbs off an 03-05 800, maybe a DPM manifold off of an 03, set of reed spacers, and if you can find some V-Force reeds of Boysen Rage Cages do yourself a favor and get rid of the stock reeds that are going to delaminate, leak air and burn a cylinder down. I fought burn downs on my 02 for 2-3- seasons, carb boots didn't look bad until my boy completely pulled one apart taking the airbox off last month. From the looks of the corroded aluminum under the rubber laminate they had been leaking for a long time. I found some other Doo boots on ebay, they didn't even last for a couple tuning runs and they literally fell apart, I siliconed them up good and let them dry for a day and a half, rented a Poo Pro for a day so my son could ride, and put the siliconed boots on the next day, a couple zip ties around the thermostat housing to the carbs for suppot and that sled ran the best it has for a few years, when I got home from that weekend I found a set of V-Force3 reeds on swap meet, bought 'em, put 'em on.
If you need rings,bearings,etc. go to MCB Perf., he can set you up with the whole kit to rebuild the top end, for a good price.

Last edited:
R

RenoRider900

I was running 490's with the dpms in the stock '02 carbs 6000-9000ft. Was having bog issues and ended up installing some '03 carbs w/o the dpms and 410 jets. Sled has ripped ever since. I would definitely have to jet up to run below 6000 but sled runs great for where I ride, usually 8-9000ft.

Premium Features