• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2.6 vs 3.0 ......thoughts.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I have a 2.6 and 3" powerclaw on my Cats. The 3" powerclaw kills the 2.6 in pow. And the 2.6 PC is a GREAT track. My 3" doesn't overheat much more than the 2.6 either in crap snow with the scratchers down and going fast down the trail. The only time I want the 2.6 is when there is less that 6" of pow. And you are right when it's hard as a rock snow I really could just stay home at that point. Kinda a pow snob lol. Even with my fat heavier cat I have no problems throwing the 3" around in low snow. I just don't see it being any equal or more of an issue with the lighter Axys.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Back and forth. Back and forth.

When tracks were growing a 1/4" at a time in height and a few inches in length. each addition was an improvement with little disadvantage.

Then we got to 163" and 2.5". Now you have to pick a length and a height and weight the advantages with the disadvantages for yourself.

Some will always want more. Some will never go past 153.

G

ggcustoms

Dec 4, 2007
NW Wisconsin
Funny

TimG- "I've put around 1200 miles on my X3 flatland riding around home, and I see very little downside there either. Top speed is down from around 90 to 81 on the gauge, and I see that 81 mph a lot. No signs of failure yet."

I don't ride around home (WI) that much anymore but was still looking for the best way to switch tracks back and forth if I went the way of the 3" for out west. Just ride it I guess...

TimG

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
When I bought my X3, I found another driveshaft and mounted the Avid drivers on it. I figured that with two driveshafts, I would swap the 3" in for the mountains and put the stock track back in for flatland riding. However, in two years, I never bothered to put the stock track back in. I'd rather spend the time riding then track swapping. I promised myself that I wasn't going to change my riding style around home, and if the track got wrecked, so be it. It still looks and works like new.

When you think back, multiple times over the last 20 years, when a new size of track came out (lug height or length), the manufacturers said that you'd really have to take it easy on the trails or flatlands (Be afraid, verrrrry afraid! Ooooohhhhhh!) Every time, that was proven wrong in the long haul and the tracks worked just fine at high speeds on the hardpack. Remember the 2000 700 Ski Doo 151"? Riders were not to exceed 50 mph!

My line of thought was that if the 2.4, 2.5, and 2.6 tracks were fine for extended high speed lake running, was that extra 0.4" going to make it a complete catastrophe? Maybe my track will tear in half tomorrow, but so far, so good. Same with my buddy's T3.

This is why I think that the 3" Axyx is the way to go. If it's more of a powder track than the X3, great! That means I'll get a higher top speed flatlanding it! Bring on the 4" tracks- I'll flatland those, too!

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
When I got mine and rode it for the first time, it was like the heavens opened and the angels started singing! After jumping on a Pro with the 2.4, I can't wait to get back on my X3.

Lmao.
No doubt, I had the same experience.
I'm not going back to that 2.4" track.
I liked the 2.6 on the AXYS, I can't imagine what the their series 7 3.0 will be like in good snow. Wow.

I'd get the 3.0 if it was my year to buy.
To bad there's no QuickDrive for it.

(There IS a way for a belt drive and a 3" track on the AXYS, but I'm not going to spend the money)

Y

yooper 8

Apr 14, 2008
(There IS a way for a belt drive and a 3" track on the AXYS, but I'm not going to spend the money)[/QUOTE]

Scott, How would you compare the 2.6 to the X3 on your Pro? I am really torn on this one. I have the X3 on my Pro now, and I absolutely would never go back to the 2.4. I really would prefer the 3" on my Axys, but I also want the quik drive. I have been thinking that if I don't like the 2.6, it will be easier for me to change the drivers and put on the 3" compared to wishing I had the QD. Then I keep telling myself that it is literally only 3/8" of an inch different...how much can it really be? I am a mess....:face-icon-small-con I don't see how we live in this country with how tough we have it..... Thanks!

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
(There IS a way for a belt drive and a 3" track on the AXYS, but I'm not going to spend the money)

Scott, How would you compare the 2.6 to the X3 on your Pro? I am really torn on this one. I have the X3 on my Pro now, and I absolutely would never go back to the 2.4. I really would prefer the 3" on my Axys, but I also want the quik drive. I have been thinking that if I don't like the 2.6, it will be easier for me to change the drivers and put on the 3" compared to wishing I had the QD. Then I keep telling myself that it is literally only 3/8" of an inch different...how much can it really be? I am a mess....:face-icon-small-con I don't see how we live in this country with how tough we have it..... Thanks!

I think the 2.6 is right almost in between the 2.4 and X3, but closer to the X3.

If I had my preference in an AXYS, I'd have a series 7, 3.0" lug with a belt drive.

So, I'd probably get the three inch track and put aTKI on it.

longlugs

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2013
Northern Utah
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who struggled with this decision! In the end, I'm going with a 3" x 155" (155 v 163 in another thread).

Ultimately, if I went with the 2.6, I know I would have "thunk" in the process of digging myself out of any given stuck "would a 3 inch prevented me from getting stuck in the first place?"

Also, given the choice of perhaps dealing with overheating issues when conditions are marginal vs. no overheating issues and perhaps not the best track in "ideal" days - I'll take overheating. **I'm keeping my '14 Pro for marginal days.

QD vs. chain case? Meh.. I'm thinking of putting a turbo on the sled, perhaps the chain is a better option for me anyway. If I hate it that much, I'll get an aftermarket belt drive.

Think how pissed we'd be if Polaris didn't offer a 3" for 2016!

P
Aug 14, 2011
Duluth, MN
After seeing the sleds in person and how their was a gap at the bottom of the belt drive where the belly plastic met the bulkhead I was not impressed. I could fit my fingers through it. Idk if it was a bad sled or what, it was the only belt drive model there. However, if I snowchecked and it showed up like that, I would be pissed. The 3" was the same stiffness as the 2.6. I'm getting the 2.6 just because I live in the Midwest and ride here and out west. For a purely out west sled, I don't care what snow conditions, that 3 inch looked like a much better choice, and the chaincase looked like a plus.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
After seeing the sleds in person and how their was a gap at the bottom of the belt drive where the belly plastic met the bulkhead I was not impressed. I could fit my fingers through it. Idk if it was a bad sled or what, it was the only belt drive model there. However, if I snowchecked and it showed up like that, I would be pissed.
Are you worried about it looking ugly or snow getting in? I don't think that side of the sled or the belt drive cares about snow....

P
Aug 14, 2011
Duluth, MN
Are you worried about it looking ugly or snow getting in? I don't think that side of the sled or the belt drive cares about snow....

Yes getting snow in it. It's a straight shot to the belt drive unlike the footwell holes and I know a little snow won't hurt, but all I can imagine is it keep building up and icing right below the belt. There was a terrible fit and that hole went all along the bottom of the belt drive. The Polaris guys didn't even notice it and were stumped, eventually claiming it was just a pre production sled with some issues stil.

image.jpg

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I'm honestly not sure why Polaris wants the 3.0 geared down to a 2.52 ratio.

I've ridden a couple of different X3 sleds and didn't see any gearing issues.
I've got 7t drivers and a 156 X3 and I am fine with my 145lb carcass at about a 2.27 ratio. Although, I'd love to try a gear down to get me at about 2.40 range.

Another was a 163 X3 with a gear down (2.40?) and it was TOTALLY adequate.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY

Snow isn't the problem with the belt drive. The ice chunks floating around on the belt drive side and getting between the belt and lower pulley cause belt failures. Tree riders will also get sticks doing the same. Every time you roll one over check the belt drive.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Snow isn't the problem with the belt drive. The ice chunks floating around on the belt drive side and getting between the belt and lower pulley cause belt failures. Tree riders will also get sticks doing the same. Every time you roll one over check the belt drive.

I've been fortunate.

I've gotten sticks in there and had no problems. We had a guy in our group back in 2013 shove a stick in his belt drive on the demo sled when Dan Adams had them up in Seeley. Pulled it out and kept going. No problem.
I think someone posted a video of a situation like that at some point also. Might have been a well known rider too.

This year, I was not aware that I had the rubber shock tower bolt plug missing from the mag side of my sled. (2013 RMK).
I FILLED the belt drive and whole area with snow on a couple of consecutive over-hood powder days. Like I said, I wasn't aware of it until I opened up the compartment to put a hot pocket in my muff pot.

FILLED with ice and snow.

I cleaned out what I could, but luckily I didn't have any problems though.

D
Oct 13, 2008
I'm honestly not sure why Polaris wants the 3.0 geared down to a 2.52 ratio.

I've ridden a couple of different X3 sleds and didn't see any gearing issues.
I've got 7t drivers and a 156 X3 and I am fine with my 145lb carcass at about a 2.27 ratio. Although, I'd love to try a gear down to get me at about 2.40 range.

Another was a 163 X3 with a gear down (2.40?) and it was TOTALLY adequate.

I know you know that it also depends on the clutching they have in it. I have read a lot of your posts and know you have plenty of knowledge to know it is the total package from clutching ( i.e. springs, weights, helix ) to gearing that makes a sled perform.

Premium Features