• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1st day on my Yeti

El Gringo

Premium Member
Jan 30, 2010
Calgary Alberta
I finally got out on my Yeti kit on the weekend and I certainly was not disappointed, what an awesome kit! I bought the kit used so had some fun figuring out what new pieces I needed to adapt it to my 570 Husaberg, but the Yeti web site is pretty good and the guys at Yeti were awesome, even though I wasn't the original buyer they were really helpful and answered all of my questions really fast and sent me what I needed ASAP. It was a pretty busy day at the trail head as we had a storm roll through and deliver around 18" of fresh, fairly heavy snow, but due to the fact that snowbikes tend to ride in different places to sleds we only saw one sled all day once we got to the riding area. As a former sledder I was amazed at where we were able to ride and how much fresh snow we found even though there were at least 50 sleds out too. It took awhile to realize that if I could fit the handle bars between the trees I was good to go. I was riding with my buddy who also has a Berg 570, he has 15 Timbersled 137 with a Yeti ski, (mine is a 129) so we were able to swap back and forth for an interesting comparison. On the trail we both preferred the Yeti, ride is better and a little less darty. In the powder they both feel very similar and lots of fun, though the Yeti feels a bit more nimble in tight going, probably due to being a bit shorter. The Yeti is more responsive to throttle inputs, again perhaps due to the shorter track, or maybe the belt drive? In a straight up climb I think the Timbersled may have had a slight edge. The one area that the Yeti is WAY better is getting unstuck! That is where I really noticed the weight difference, wow what a treat, after years of struggling with a 500 Lb sled I couldn't believe how easy it was to lift it out of snow by myself. We had a great day and are looking forward to many more, thanks to me lurking on this site I had the bike set up pretty well, but I think a better seat is in my future.

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
They are an amazing kit. Interesting that you say that the 137 had the advantage when climbing. I found that my 129 yeti has a slight edge over 137 TS when climbing. Close though. What track did your buddy have?

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
I love my Yeti 129. I am going to put the PR2 Racing ECU on it to improve performance and cold weather characteristics. I have mine on KTM 450 SX-F Ryan Dungey Special. I would like to have another gear once in a while but I like the close ratio transmission. I also have the upper end Rekluse clutch which I love.

W
Dec 25, 2011
index wa
Snow conditions vary everyday so getting direct comparison on the finer points will take some time over many days.

What do you think made the yeti easier to get out of the snow? I find how much snow is packed in there makes the biggest difference and how wet the snow is which can change thru out the day.

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
The 40# on the back of bike is super noticeable when lifting bike or hitting jumps. Mine hasn't really held much snow yet either, come to think of it.

El Gringo

Premium Member
Jan 30, 2010
Calgary Alberta
Buddy has the stock 2015 TS track, so 2" straight, we didn't have a chance to do a side by side climb in untracked snow, but in the snow we had ( fairly heavy, wettish) I thought he had a very slight advantage, but he had less track speed, so maybe it just seemed like it had more traction. The weight is the big factor in getting unstuck for sure. As for packing on snow I sprayed my tunnel with SC1, seems to help with the sticking. Both kits are too much fun, I just prefer the Yeti and as I had only riden TS when I bought my Yeti kit I am really happy to find out that it works as good as it's looks and build quality!

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Do you have the original maxtrak or upgraded? I haven't had mine in any wet snow yet, but have been told that the upgrade is worth it. In dry snow my 129 yeti has slight advantage over 137 TS IMHO.

Premium Features