• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New bike, now need a new kit 2 optiosn

A
Nov 14, 2017
Cordova makes a driver that allows a 3" track to fit on the 18 and 19 aro kits as well as the 2020 riot, along with a rail extension. It's a small driver, so there may be some efficiency loss, but he seems to sell a lot of them with happy customers.
I didn't know that. Very cool.

A
Nov 14, 2017
@AllHatNoCattle How was the performance change in going to the 129" CMX Track?

It was a significant improvement. I only ride deep snow and the year after I bought the 2019 120SX, the first 3" Aro came out. Everyone I rode with bought one and I really struggled to keep up with them on the 120". I had to follow their trails up climbs of any significance or I would get stuck and be left behind.

Going to the CMX made a very noticeable difference and I really loved the stiffer paddles and paddle design. I still couldn't quite keep up in the deep on very steep climbs and would occasionally have to move into someone elses trail if the climb looked tough. It was a lot better though. My kit was super nimble in the trees and I loved the way it flowed.

I sold that kit this season and went to a Aro3"s" lowered kit. I have written about it in other threads, but I have been impressed with just how much more traction this 3" gets in the deep snow compared to my 2.5" CMX. That said, it is like riding a different bike. Much more tractor like.

If I had it to do again I wouldn't have dumped the $2000+ to convert my old kit to a CMX track. I dont think I got any extra money out of it when I sold it (maybe $500). If I had it to do again I would just sell my kit and get a 3", rather than going through the hassle and expense of converting.

E
Dec 19, 2007
It was a significant improvement. I only ride deep snow and the year after I bought the 2019 120SX, the first 3" Aro came out. Everyone I rode with bought one and I really struggled to keep up with them on the 120". I had to follow their trails up climbs of any significance or I would get stuck and be left behind.

Going to the CMX made a very noticeable difference and I really loved the stiffer paddles and paddle design. I still couldn't quite keep up in the deep on very steep climbs and would occasionally have to move into someone elses trail if the climb looked tough. It was a lot better though. My kit was super nimble in the trees and I loved the way it flowed.

I sold that kit this season and went to a Aro3"s" lowered kit. I have written about it in other threads, but I have been impressed with just how much more traction this 3" gets in the deep snow compared to my 2.5" CMX. That said, it is like riding a different bike. Much more tractor like.

If I had it to do again I wouldn't have dumped the $2000+ to convert my old kit to a CMX track. I dont think I got any extra money out of it when I sold it (maybe $500). If I had it to do again I would just sell my kit and get a 3", rather than going through the hassle and expense of converting.
Did you cut down the cmx to 10 wide on the Sx? I've cut 2 of them to 11 to fit the aro and still get to compare them every week to stock aro and riot tracks and they are a huge improvement in soft snow but they are still fast compared to a 3.

A
Nov 14, 2017
Did you cut down the cmx to 10 wide on the Sx? I've cut 2 of them to 11 to fit the aro and still get to compare them every week to stock aro and riot tracks and they are a huge improvement in soft snow but they are still fast compared to a 3.
Yes, CMX cut it down to 11" wide (or whatever it is) to fit the 2019 120SX.

You are right, it was a big improvement. I could get way more track speed out of the CMX track vs my 3". Which was better in some situations and worse in the other. More of a trade off than a "this track is just better".

Both tracks are just better than the 120 SX in deep snow.

I am finding the 3" to be easier to ride for the most part. I dont know how much of it is the attack angle of the "S" lowered kit.

U
Feb 23, 2021
Utah
First you picked a great bike! AER forks that year didn't do well in the cold and could calllapse. If you have them serviced they can update the seals to newer ones and they are bullet proof. Depending on your size you can just add air and there isn't a need for a TRIO or custom forks. There are some issues with KTM oil pump gears in that era but other then that your good to go.

Far as kits go this is my opinion. I have owned and or ridden all these on many occasions. I would avoid the 2016 yeti. I may have had the updates but it may not. I don't know enough about the pre 2020 kits to really be a help. Great kits when they work and arn't broken. It wasn't until 2020 that they finally had a bulletproof kit. They are 30+ lbs lighter which is VERY noticeable! That said I pack 3 gallons of gas (20 lbs) and a pelican case (6lbs) with gear/tools (10 lbs). If i just left that stuff at home it would help lol.

Cant go wrong with the riot LE. $3200 is a good price for it as well, depending on condition. I found it wasn't very playful. It will get you around and it will be fun though it just wasn't for me. Even the RIot 3 was kind of a letdown compared to the CMX 129. That said timbersleds have a smoother ride on the trails.

Far as CMX goes I currently own 2 and $4500 is a good price depending on their condition and level of upgrades. CMX kits can be upgraded from year to year so for instance my 2017 kit is up to 2021 specs. I personally like the 120 more but my wife loves the 129. The 129 is unstobable. Its still playful on a 450 but its not gonna wheelie all over the place. Just occasionally when you want it to. The 120 will out climb a 129 2.5 in timbersled all day long on any snow hands down. If you add a little preload to the rear shock the front stays down more. loosen it up and your in play mode. I like mine soft and playful but going up steep hills i have to sit on the gas tank so i an steer.

What to look for: You want the CMX track. Its the 2 overlapping paddle design vs the old 3 lug design like timbersled uses. The 2019 will have it the 2018 should?
You want the 28mm belt drive. 2018 may not have it? When they put the new track on they were breaking the 21mm belts. The 28mm generally don't brake.
CMX ski and spindle, the plastic belt drive cover, new revalved shocks, and the newer chain tensioner are nice upgrades.

Things to check: the eye on the lower end of the front shock for play. Those bushings are what wears out first on mine.
Tunnel cracks at the very end of the side plate.
Bend or cracked gussets near the front of the kit. Generally from impacts. (note a loose chain will contact one of the gussets and thats fine)

Far as buying an "exotic" kit? Not sure how many kits CMX makes every year but its a lot. Belt drive is no joke. Its way more efficient then chain drive which is free HP. My 17 350 xcf on a 120 CMX will out run a 450 ktm on a riot until 3rd gear. Then they leave me lol. CNC means less welds to break and easy repairs when you smash it. Just bolt on new parts. in 2 years I have had CMX overnight me parts several times. (my fault, not theirs) Never an "in stock" issue or cant get someone on the phone. Just call/ text and parts are on their way.
Hey @jrlastofthebreed can you pm me? Have a couple questions for you if you can help me out, thanks

Premium Features