• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1998 Polaris Indy Lite Deluxe - Ski Skins? Mods?

M
Oct 10, 2015
Hi all,

I've read a lot of posts on this forum but first time posting, so any help would be appreciate.

I recently purchased a used 1998 Polaris Indy Lite Deluxe 340 for a couple hundred bucks with electric start. Everything runs fine but the last guy hasn't cleaned the carbs, changed oil or gas for last two year. I plan to strip the sled down, swap out all fluids, replace seat cover, add ski skins, replace handle bar set-up, tunnel extension will sled hitch, polish the tunnel, remove some decals and maybe paint the hood and add new decals.

This sled will be intended to be used as a 1 person utility sled (icefishing - 175lbs) or by my wife (110Lbs) or 8+10 year old nephews.

I have a few questions for some of the guys that have gotten into modifying these snowmobiles.

What type/size ski skins did you use to fit over the older steel skis?

Was there a front grab bar made for these sleds or should i just make one?

What do i need to do to swap out/cut down the ugly windshield/head light combo? Any other sleds windshields that fit similar or can i potentially retrofit another model (im willing to cut up the existing hood to make it fit? Can i eliminate the headlight in general and mount LED bar lights instead? Will there be a power issue to swap the headlight out to (2) LED Bar Lights.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...-af02-5200-a7dd-5438cf509abe&pf_rd_i=15730331

Do they make a tunnel extension for the indy lite? I work at a sheet metal shop and could have it made but sometimes it is just cheaper to buy it.

Because this is an old, small and cheap snowmobile, I do not plan to sink a lot of money into it. Plan to do most of that for less than $200 as I have some parts already. I am very mechanically handy and have the time to do these projects.

Anyone have ideas/input to any of these questions? I plan on working on this sled through the summer to be ready for next winter 17/18.

Thanks again for any advice!

IMG_20170324_184006959.jpg

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Look in the youth section here. Lots of guys mod Indy lites.
I've fixed up and long tracked 2 sleds for my kids, not a lite, but same difference.
Don't bother with ski skins. Get some decent plastic takeoff skis, take your pic, can make most skis fit with a little effort.
Long track it. Buy a cheap 136 track and rail extensions.
Can make or probably buy a tunnel extension. If you Have access to a brake, then not too hard to make one, or run it as is with the track sticking out. Won't matter except for asthetics.
Throw the windshield in the garbage. Little kids can't see over a big dorky windshield.

Gear it down if needed once you try it out with a bigger track.

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
See below in red

Hi all,

I've read a lot of posts on this forum but first time posting, so any help would be appreciate.

I recently purchased a used 1998 Polaris Indy Lite Deluxe 340 for a couple hundred bucks with electric start. Everything runs fine but the last guy hasn't cleaned the carbs, changed oil or gas for last two year. I plan to strip the sled down, swap out all fluids, replace seat cover, add ski skins, replace handle bar set-up, tunnel extension will sled hitch, polish the tunnel, remove some decals and maybe paint the hood and add new decals.

This sled will be intended to be used as a 1 person utility sled (icefishing - 175lbs) or by my wife (110Lbs) or 8+10 year old nephews.

I have a few questions for some of the guys that have gotten into modifying these snowmobiles.

What type/size ski skins did you use to fit over the older steel skis? Upgrading to plastic skis would be preferable. I installed Polaris Gripper skis from a Pro RMK on our machine.

Was there a front grab bar made for these sleds or should i just make one? I bought a new bumper off of ebay. I think they are the same for the newer Indy 340s? You can look on Polaris's online parts catalog to confirm....

What do i need to do to swap out/cut down the ugly windshield/head light combo? Any other sleds windshields that fit similar or can i potentially retrofit another model (im willing to cut up the existing hood to make it fit? Can i eliminate the headlight in general and mount LED bar lights instead? Will there be a power issue to swap the headlight out to (2) LED Bar Lights. You can cut down the windshield to your liking or just install a complete newer style hood off of an Indy 340. If you install an LED light it will need to be powered from your battery as it requires DC power. If you remove / disconnect the factory halogen headlight you will need to install a resistor in it's place that draws roughly the same power less the amount used by the LED.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...-af02-5200-a7dd-5438cf509abe&pf_rd_i=15730331

Do they make a tunnel extension for the indy lite? I work at a sheet metal shop and could have it made but sometimes it is just cheaper to buy it. The 136" tunnel extension that I bought from Tracks USA did not fit properly. Although I trimmed the bottom portion down to fit the lines of the existing tunnel, the extension is not actually long enough for the machine. With the 136" track & the taller 1.750" lug, a heavier rider / soft torsion spring setting will result in the track rubbing on the back of the extension where the snowflap attaches. Long story short, build your own so it fits properly.

Because this is an old, small and cheap snowmobile, I do not plan to sink a lot of money into it. Plan to do most of that for less than $200 as I have some parts already. I am very mechanically handy and have the time to do these projects.

Anyone have ideas/input to any of these questions? I plan on working on this sled through the summer to be ready for next winter 17/18.

Thanks again for any advice!

M
Oct 10, 2015
Here are updates on hood painting. Still have to wet sand and do a few coats clear coating. I am going to change color scheme from teal, purple and yellow to charcoal with yellow accents. Hopefully makes the sled look a little less dated.

Ordered Polaris decals, ski skins, riser block, yellow tunnel grips, yellow Moose Racing hand guard, snowmobile cover, and seat cover at about $225. I would say I am still on budget. Should be in soon.

Hopefully I will have some completed photos within the month.

IMG_20170414_164942059_HDR.jpg IMG_20170414_164920829_HDR.jpg IMG_20170414_164908434_HDR.jpg

M
Oct 10, 2015
Indy Lite Deluxe converted with 133.5" track

I found someone selling a 133.5" skid and track on craigslist locally for $200. Both the Track and skid have low miles (roughly 1000) w/ 1" lugs with 140 something picks, no noticable wear, pull outs, and looks like new.

The skid is off a 1996 Polaris XLT SKS. Specs - POLARIS XLT SKS 1993-1997 15"W x 133.5"L x 1.0"D w/ 2.52 - I couldn't see all of the track numbers stamped into the track but it ends with 411166

My sled is the 1998 Indy Lite Deluxe w/ 121" track and The 1998 Polaris Indy Lite Touring has the 133.5 track length and made me think when i saw this Craigslist Ad. POLARIS Indy Lite GT & Indy Lite Touring 1996-1998 15"W x 133.5"L x 0.82"D w/ 2.52

Does anyone have an idea if this skid could fit inside the Indy lite tunnel or am I bark up the wrong tree? I don't mind drilling new holes in tunnel...just down know if it will fit. This might be a good fix to do a semi long track on this sled for cheap.

I know I'll have to gear it differently but just trying to see if this will fit first.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I just used extension on my stock rails to go to a 136. I picked up a 136 x 1.5 off a newer Trail 550 for $80 which the 340 pulls just fine. I think these newer tracks are lighter as well.

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
I'm not sure how that skid compares to the factory Indy Lite set up but if you can get the skid mounting hole location measurements from the tunnel of the XLT it would make installation alot easier. Otherwise your tunnel might end up looking like swiss cheese from trial and error.

I found someone selling a 133.5" skid and track on craigslist locally for $200. Both the Track and skid have low miles (roughly 1000) w/ 1" lugs with 140 something picks, no noticable wear, pull outs, and looks like new.

The skid is off a 1996 Polaris XLT SKS. Specs - POLARIS XLT SKS 1993-1997 15"W x 133.5"L x 1.0"D w/ 2.52 - I couldn't see all of the track numbers stamped into the track but it ends with 411166

My sled is the 1998 Indy Lite Deluxe w/ 121" track and The 1998 Polaris Indy Lite Touring has the 133.5 track length and made me think when i saw this Craigslist Ad. POLARIS Indy Lite GT & Indy Lite Touring 1996-1998 15"W x 133.5"L x 0.82"D w/ 2.52

Does anyone have an idea if this skid could fit inside the Indy lite tunnel or am I bark up the wrong tree? I don't mind drilling new holes in tunnel...just down know if it will fit. This might be a good fix to do a semi long track on this sled for cheap.

I know I'll have to gear it differently but just trying to see if this will fit first.

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
That is the same track I installed in our Indy Lite.

Had to replace the factory 9 tooth drivers with 7 tooth to get enough clearance.

I installed Wahl combo drivers and anti-stab wheel kit. I wanted to be able to run mine as loose as possible to help reduce drag. In all likelihood involute drivers would work just fine as long as the track is kept snug.

Premium Features