• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

pair of modded 340 Indy lites

T
Mar 13, 2019
Thanks, I'm pretty happy with it. The second one will be better. Especially the decals. I thought the rear hatch seemed small. We don't keep a lot in them as they tend to hold snow. Handle bar bags are a lot nicer for the kids.

Had a good friend help out to find a few parts at the local polaris dealer today. Couldn't find two control assembles that worked but it's a good start.

3659C8E5-D8BC-42C9-B200-85880FE803DC

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
The Indy Lite was one of my favorite sleds to get set up for the kids. Hydraulic brake off the 440 SKS, windshield bag off a Gen II, 136x1.25 off a newer RMK Trail, rail grips, and a hot dogger.IMG_3970b.jpgIMG_3976.JPG

T
Mar 13, 2019
Oh im digging the hotdoggger. We call them muff pots around here. We have them on our big sleds but thats a great idea. Looks like a clean build on your lite. Im going to see if I can find that brake lever. Is there a switch for the lights on it?

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
There is a separate rotary type switch mounted on the operator side of the reservoir. Hard to see in the photo, but still there. Hot Dogger is made by someone in our club and has long ties to the snowmobiling association in the state.

You can make out the switch on the donor '93 440 SKS. It got upgraded to an IQ seat, ProTaper bars and Dragon brake.

IMGP6536.JPG IMG_3215.JPG

Last edited:
T
Mar 13, 2019
T
Mar 13, 2019
I really like this upgrade. Switch block fits really nicely. Wired in the warmers and lights. Works perfect. The hooks really make it easier to turn for the kids. The extra leverage is nice and they don't hit the windshield. Only problem is the throttle flipper but I am going to swap on a longer one. Or you could just slide it over but it wouldn't fit as nice. The kid complains the short flipper is hard on her thumb so a longer one wouldn't hurt. I also had to adapt the OEM polaris line to the caliper as the thread size was different. You can get the proper line but I couldn't find one used. It worked out though as the hard line gave me an extra 6" in length for when I eventually swap out the handlebars are raise them a hair when the kid gets bigger.

E28EE1B0-0FA4-4383-BA2F-3B6D8178FF97

5160EBAF-687A-4865-A21B-F0788E769928

This one is cleaning up pretty good. Windshield just needs a quick polish. That old lite suspension is SOFT but works well now that I completely went through it. Would love to find a more aggressive track for it.

20716940-F72D-4B3D-AF99-7DFFDE0280B0

T
Mar 13, 2019
Well its always something. I cant get the hi beam to work with the newer style switch. Im missing something but I dont know what it is. Replaced the voltage regulator (its much better) but when I Hit the blue switch for high beams the running lights dim and the headlight goes out. Need to work that out.

I bought a four pack of ac/dc rectifiers off of amazon.

(Pack of 4) KBPC2510 Silicon Bridge Rectifier Diode 25A 1000V KBPC Single Phase, Full Wave 25 Amp 1000 Volt Amazon product ASIN B07S3V3MT1
I hooked that up to the headlight plug (ac) and then hooked the dc output up to a standard 12v relay to switch the LED light on when the sled starts (no manual switch). I would like to find a similar sized yellow LED to mount under this one. Way brighter then the h4 12A63E40-743B-4A3C-9F77-FEC0E6CD4A45.jpegEC35F803-0477-4607-B82E-13DE9121BFAF.jpeg

T
Mar 13, 2019
I'm getting closer to being done!! Got the new to me spindles on and set of plastic skis. The front went up just a little over an inch. These are off a non CRC machine with part number 6230102. New rubbers needed for the skis and I made shims for the back side. Had the deluxe out yesterday and it really rips with the 8 tooth driver but needs some serious clutch work. primary is out of adjustment and needs new weights. (too much play) parts ordered.

I also need to sew up a custom cover for the pro taper bars to hide all the wiring. Got the light switch figured out on the black sled. Going to try a direct replacement LED H4 bulb from Auxito to free up some watts for the hand warmers.

8E5C89C5-185B-4ADB-99E9-03851BA3F361.jpeg

61380F19-DB7E-405D-9F03-8D3EF139AE7A.jpeg
51B9DCA0-3E60-4AC2-9A8E-D076C7E24A86.jpeg

T
Mar 13, 2019
Well he only hit a tree and rolled it at the end of the day. Broke the windshield, bent the handlebars and blew a rear bogey wheel. New windshield on it's way and the bumper showed up. Clutch rebuild should happen this week on both sleds.

The set up with xtra 10, taller front spindles and the plastic skis are a sweet combo. I am planning on tracking down a 121" extra 10 for the black sled for next year. Will start on setting up (fine tuning) the suspension and modding the running boards

0B50B441-A509-4A9B-8059-D47B5B08F861

T
Mar 13, 2019
way better investments than the current 200"s

I sure hope so. I think those 200 have potential if they where 2/3rds the price. These sleds are still too big for my kids as compared to the longtracked 120 we had. I think the 200 is a better investment. Have to wait and see what there resale is like (outside of these covid times) We are sure enjoying them though. Just needs to warm up, -37C here this morning

T
Mar 13, 2019
We have about 80 miles on each sled.

So far I am really happy with these indy lites. I put in a 125/260 clutch spring in the stock black unit and it really woke it up. WAY better clutch engagement and it actually feels peppy. It does need a 1" or 1 1/4" track.

The long track is a lot of fun and I really like the upgrade. Went to a 125/280 with a little lighter 10M weights. It is a little down on speed. Well maybe a lot. With the 16/39 gears and 8 tooth driver we are hitting about 45 mph. Not sure what we are hitting for RPMs but should know this weekend. It's not slow, but it's not fast like the stocker. I'm not sure if it just can't turn that big of track or if the carbs aren't opening up all the way??? I'll keep playing with it, Either way it's fun in the deep stuff!!!

Plastic skis are a must. These IQ style ones are about 10 lbs lighter then the steel. They actually keep the ski tips up and float on top of the snow. If I could find more grippers for a decent price I would put those on.

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
way better investments than the current 200"s
Huh?

First of all, I hope nobody around here is buying snowmobiles as an "investment". They're toys.

Second, though, I'm pretty sure I could sell my 2018 snoscoot for about 98% of what I paid for it back in December of 2017. I can't imagine a better "investment" as far as toys go anyway.

T
Mar 13, 2019
Huh?

First of all, I hope nobody around here is buying snowmobiles as an "investment". They're toys.

Second, though, I'm pretty sure I could sell my 2018 snoscoot for about 98% of what I paid for it back in December of 2017. I can't imagine a better "investment" as far as toys go anyway.

Kids sleds are the best motorsports "toy" to invest in. Doesn't matter if it's a 120, 200 or a lite. This year with covid pricing we sold our 2000 120 for more then new. And our long track 120 went for an outrageous amount. Doesn't always happen that way. I'd triple my money on these lites this year.

From our experience it would be nice to own all three.... but, I think the 200 is the best option, except for the price.

These lights are awsome sleds but parts are starting to get hard to find. No belly pans, windshields are goofy, suspension is just OK and they are big compared to the 200. My son misses throwing around his long tracked 120. He is just starting to get the lite up on edge. Another year and a growth spurt it will be perfect for him.

J
Apr 3, 2017
We have about 80 miles on each sled.

So far I am really happy with these indy lites. I put in a 125/260 clutch spring in the stock black unit and it really woke it up. WAY better clutch engagement and it actually feels peppy. It does need a 1" or 1 1/4" track.

The long track is a lot of fun and I really like the upgrade. Went to a 125/280 with a little lighter 10M weights. It is a little down on speed. Well maybe a lot. With the 16/39 gears and 8 tooth driver we are hitting about 45 mph. Not sure what we are hitting for RPMs but should know this weekend. It's not slow, but it's not fast like the stocker. I'm not sure if it just can't turn that big of track or if the carbs aren't opening up all the way??? I'll keep playing with it, Either way it's fun in the deep stuff!!!

Plastic skis are a must. These IQ style ones are about 10 lbs lighter then the steel. They actually keep the ski tips up and float on top of the snow. If I could find more grippers for a decent price I would put those on.
Your speed loss is due, mostly, to the 8 tooth driver from what was most likely a 9. FWIW, the speedos on these Lites is usually optimistic in stock trim, 10%+ high! I went to a 7 tooth driver to accomodate a 1 1/2 inch paddle track on one of my Lite GTs, it makes the speedo nearly worthless! The speedo reads 70 maxed out, it GPS's at 45! 5/8 of real speed! That said, the sled is busy enough at 45 and does exactly what I want - tows better, crawls better in the ugly snow and sprints up really fast. Between that and the paddle track it is my go to sled out of the 5 GT's I own. This is the sled I moved the skid down to the lowest front hole and made a steel bracket to move the rear down equally. Gives a ton more floor board clearance, allows for backing off the tension on the torsion springs and handles deep snow/overflow WAY happier. A note of caution: The sideways stability is probably not what is was so care is likely warranted if pushing through corners hard and fast. The track is a 136 BTW, the GT doesn't seem to have any problem getting it going. I have heard they will turn a 1 3/4 but have not tried it yet. I've also put 1 1/4 tracks under these, that can be done with the existing 9 tooth driver.

T
Mar 13, 2019
I'm running GPS for a speedo. We took off the speedo pod when we went with the pro tapers. And no permanent tach, just a wrap around the spark plug wire type with digital readout and high RPM call back.

I think the speed issue was a combo of a lot of things. I replaced the choke plungers, they just seemed to be "sticky" and I wasn't confident that they were seating fully/sealing. I also adjusted the carbs about 50 times until I was happy that they were fully opening om the engine side. Rebuilt the clutches and got the proper spring and weight combo. We are hitting 6800 RPM at and 52mph WOT with my son on the sled. That's plenty fast. The sled is a weapon. It's so light, the track is really nice in the powder and the Xtra10 is perfect for a 80lbs kid

I wish I could figure out on easy fix for the front shocks/suspension. If a guy could get 4-6" more travel out of the front, it would be sweet

J
Apr 3, 2017
I'm running GPS for a speedo. We took off the speedo pod when we went with the pro tapers. And no permanent tach, just a wrap around the spark plug wire type with digital readout and high RPM call back.

I think the speed issue was a combo of a lot of things. I replaced the choke plungers, they just seemed to be "sticky" and I wasn't confident that they were seating fully/sealing. I also adjusted the carbs about 50 times until I was happy that they were fully opening om the engine side. Rebuilt the clutches and got the proper spring and weight combo. We are hitting 6800 RPM at and 52mph WOT with my son on the sled. That's plenty fast. The sled is a weapon. It's so light, the track is really nice in the powder and the Xtra10 is perfect for a 80lbs kid

I wish I could figure out on easy fix for the front shocks/suspension. If a guy could get 4-6" more travel out of the front, it would be sweet

Premium Features