• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

17 Timbersled chain hits track

jrlastofthebreed

It seemed like a good idea at the time
Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2016
Coeur d'Alene ID
So i got my 17 timbersled ST with the tss installed and i noticed the track has these little notches in the left side paddles. Im like wtf? Also once the kit was installed it was extremely hard to roll the the track. Like it was hanging up on something. Upon closer examination i found the drive chain is hitting the track. Thats why they groved the paddles. Was the 16 kits like this? Just seems like a design oversight and then "oh it rubs. Well lets just notch the track instead of fixing it" Ya i'm not impressed!

The pic shows the tension gear and the chain hitting the track.

IMG_1362.jpg

Apr 25, 2014
So i got my 17 timbersled ST with the tss installed and i noticed the track has these little notches in the left side paddles. Im like wtf? Also once the kit was installed it was extremely hard to roll the the track. Like it was hanging up on something. Upon closer examination i found the drive chain is hitting the track. Thats why they groved the paddles. Was the 16 kits like this? Just seems like a design oversight and then "oh it rubs. Well lets just notch the track instead of fixing it" Ya i'm not impressed!

Yes they are notched on the 16, why is your chain so long? Is your drive sprocket correct?

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
Yes, the chain on my '16 TS rubbed also. Had to deepen the chain grove a little. That was with 13t engine sprocket. With a 14 doesn't rub. The chain should be a bit shorter.

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
What Countershaft sprocket are you running?

On my 2016 kit, Timbersled recommended a 13T CS sprocket for my 09 450R

However the chain rubbed the track as you have pictured

I swapped a 14T on and problem solved, although the chan was pretty tight. Rode it for a while and decided gearing was too tall.

So I stuck 16/18 gears in the chaincase. That was perfect for me!

M
Jan 14, 2004
It was a little short sighted on Timbersleds part to think that the 2" track was going to be the limit when they did the tunnel side redesign in 2015. The older kits are actually better suited for the 2.5 track. No drop brackets or need to notch the track. There are approach angle differences with the 2015+ but IMO its not a deal breaker from the older design.

M5

oldsno

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 8, 2009
My 15 kit is borderline to rubbing.Not a lot of adjustment to tight break chain or take out crank to loose rubs track. Rubbing is lesser evil...Bought an extra idler sprocket on line from a sled and implement dealer said john deere on the package it came ....need i say more?ha ha

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT

What is the year and model of the bike in question?

jrlastofthebreed

It seemed like a good idea at the time
Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2016
Coeur d'Alene ID
What is the year and model of the bike in question?

Its a 07 CRF450X. I have a 13 t sprocket on the bike and everything is stock on the kit. I notched about a 1/4" more on the track. not it doesn't rub. After i ride it a few times and get the chain stretch out i might put a 12t on and shorten the chain. We will see...

Premium Features