• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

155 Assault track swap?

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Just out of curiosity, has anyone put a 155 Assault competition track on their IQ? I'm tossing around the idea of putting one on my 700 and just wondering if anyone has done it before.... Thanks

sledking

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2007
Central MN
I did it in my 09 D8. It bolts right in with no problems. Only ran it for about half a MN season and decided to go a different route

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
It should really hook up in your NW snow. Do you have a line a good take off or used track?

No, I don't have a line on one, but after my buddy put an 85 Duro 2.6" PC on his M7, I thought it would be fun to see if I could find something that would compare in stiffness and thought an assault track might be a fun thing to try, especially on spring hard pack. For some reason we don't have many assaults on the snow around here, thus my reason for asking.

My sled has considerably more snap than his, but he has a lot better traction, I lose a lot of speed due to the famous 5.1 track spin. The best thing I like about my RMK 700 is it's 'playfulness' as it doesn't have the torque or flotation of my 900, but it's so fun to ride through the trees and jump/wheelie small drifts with on the low snow days when the 900 is just overkill.

Last edited:

sledking

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2007
Central MN
If your looking for a stiffer aggressive track similar to the 85 duro 2.6" pc, I would recommend looking into the peak 2.5? I am running this on my 09 d8 and it has very good hookup and does spin over like the 5.1. I am running a turbo tho. I dont know how it would work on a stock sled. Just thought it might be an option for you

capnkirk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 26, 2010
Appleton, WI
the comp track that came on my 10' assault hooked up great on hard pack, field riding here in WI, and ripping thru the woods. But, anything close to deep powder, bottomless fluff, or even deep snow that was some what setup, it sucked. It trenched something fierce! In multiple trips to the U.P. of Michigan, and Wyoming i found myself stuck, and digging to china far more than i would've liked.

2 years ago I swapped to the Camo Extreme 2.5" and love it! The last two trips out west we rode the same area's that we did in years past with the comp track... And, with the Camo X I pulled the same lines as in the past, in far deeper snow, and I out climbed that Comp track everytime.

All this is relative though, your conditions are probably far different than what I ride in. But I thought it was worth giving you my opinion.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
The majority of the time I ride the 700 is in 12" or less of fresh ranging from somewhat soft to spring concrete hardpack. I'm not as much worried about those bottomless days as I would be running my 900... it satisfies my deep powder expectations quite nicely and I have no plans of getting rid of it anytime soon, that's the whole reason I went with a 700 as a newer ride. I'm more interested in the performance of a competition track versus the 5.1 on hardpack where trenching is not an issue and traction is the limiting factor on how steep you can climb. I passed up a chute my buddies 85D 2.6 PC walked right up because I was worried about my softer 5.1 spinning out at the steepest spot.

capnkirk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 26, 2010
Appleton, WI
I would certainly say that the Comp track hooks up really well on hard pack. It is tough as nails as well. But lacks the deep snow performance of most any powder track.

If you are thinking about a Comp track, I would browse the swap meets, or ebay, as I'm sure there are plenty of used take offs floating around out there.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
skidoo 2.25-2.5" are stiff. if you can get over the 16" wide thing. hooks up on hard pack, without the worry of sinking to china if you hit some pow.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Well I went ahead and picked up a 155 Competition track from a forum member (Thanks "NO IQ" :beer; ) Gonna head up tomorrow and see how the sled does with it... It should be an interesting time as it has been REALLY hot here this week... Snotel says it's been in the mid 60s up at 6K ft all week:face-icon-small-sho and in the low 90s in town :rant:

I'll give a report of my impressions when I get back.

The swap was pretty easy all in all, I've only ever changed a track once before (on an M7) so it was a cool job and easier than I was expecting aside from getting that stupid front skid bolt loose... I HATE those threaded cross-shafts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stock 5.1 track weighed in at 48lbs and the Competition track weighed in at 55lbs on my bathroom scale... we'll see how my setup does with that extra weight:eek: I also looked up the Camo Extreme that some of you guys recommended on Tracks USA's site and a 155x2.5 is spec'd as 57 lbs, so the 55lb Comp. track should not be too much of a hindrance I would think.

Last edited:

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Impressions

Well I put 31 miles on the new track... so far I like it overall. Slow speed traction and climbing was impressive, particularly on the harder, more frozen snow. Yesterday's conditions were rather strange, trenching in about 4-6" with a really slick, almost snot-like (for lack of a better word) top layer. The consensus was that ANY track was going to spin on this stuff, lol.

Compared to the 5.1, the Competition track did hook up better at all speeds, though the extra weight cost me a bit of track acceleration. Overall track speed was close to what I had with the 5.1, though I wasn't pulling full RPM (the one problem I have been battling with this sled) Averaging 8050-8150 RPM I was pulling 35-38MPH peak and under heavy load situations such as turning up the hill mid way from a sidehill or putting my way up the bottom half and then nailing the throttle I was only getting about 30-32MPH, with track speed increasing from there (again, a few hundred RPM low too). I felt I was able to 'crawl' up hills with more confidence than before, and in a couple unexpected situations where I had to completely stop in the tight trees while pointed uphill, I was able to takeoff without much problem... I am uncertain if the 5.1 would have recovered as easily.

I ran into a rider with a stock 2011 Assault and he agreed that the snow we were riding in was not ideal for the Competition track to really shine in.

The only problem I ran into was that I was ratcheting under heavy or shock load situations... I thought I had the track tight enough but apparently not... I will tighten it up a bit before going out again... I am anticipating 1 more ride for the year... not sure if there will be enough ride-able snow left after that or not.

I can tell that I would have loved this track earlier this spring when we had hard, frozen snow. In the morning when things were more setup, it really shined.

100_1377.jpg

100_1384.jpg

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Any chance that an Assault uses a different helix than an RMK to accommodate the difference in track weight and potential to hook up?

I have no idea.

I'm sure you've read my clutching thread that I have been trying different setups including the Carl's helix, I'm now thinking that the one thing I haven't changed may be starting to become an issue... my secondary spring. The secondary spring hasn't been changed since I've had the sled and has at least 2 seasons/1200 miles on it. I haven't worried about it as the sled seemed to back shift adequately, but in the last 1 or 2 rides I have noticed an ever so slight fall-off of RPM after initial acceleration and upshift. I'm going to replace the spring during my pre-season next fall after I do some research on which one I should go with.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
The 2010 800 RMK-155 and 2010 Assault both use the same 56-42.36 helix and the black purple spring plus a 19/41 gearing.

Not sure how they account for the difference in track, if they do.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Assault track traction

The first 45 seconds of this show me inching my way up the hill as slowly as I can and then taking off after it becomes difficult to keep my balance due to the steep angle of the hill. Right when I hammered the throttle, you can hear the track ratcheted.

Last edited:

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
I pointed this out from day one and about got linched , seem like I p!ssed everyone off in Poo land . The track will try to climb over the drivers no matter how tight you have it . The lugs have virtually no flex so something has to give . On a steep hard pack incline the track bites so hard that the machine will chatter and shake . Can't even imagine how much strain that puts on the drive train and engine . I take it that you don't have that goofy center extro-vert ? It helps a little but it still climbs over it , nature of the beast , funny thing is the Pros do it also . This track will also mess with your clutching big time from fluff to hard pack snow conditions .

Last edited:
Premium Features