• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

100hp or 100 less lbs???

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Could a guy run the belt drive on an 1100t? would you lose reverse with the belt drive? Does c3 have any plans on making some cf side panels for the pro climbs? HAve bought a few little things off of c3 over the years makes great quality products

D
Feb 28, 2011
BC, Canada
If you have the money to spend why would you even look at a pro, take the cat and mod it the way I have mine with CF and you have a better sled with a real motor.
I think I would be running the HCR cooler, that way you could rip the tunnel clean off and stay running, if it ever happened.

When I have the money, I'll go for it.

Hey I know you're a Cat guy and I'm a Pro guy. I'm just gonna throw this out there though for fun.

Cat CF Chassis Build - $30,000 (As seen in the original post)
Pro with PA 1100 - $25,000 (Do what ever else you want with $5000 if you wanted to further mod it)

Sorry, I know I'm in the Cat section; just saying though, there are some pretty sweet options out there for either sled. I would kill to own either of those!

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Hey I know you're a Cat guy and I'm a Pro guy. I'm just gonna throw this out there though for fun.

Cat CF Chassis Build - $30,000 (As seen in the original post)
Pro with PA 1100 - $25,000 (Do what ever else you want with $5000 if you wanted to further mod it)

Sorry, I know I'm in the Cat section; just saying though, there are some pretty sweet options out there for either sled. I would kill to own either of those!

If going light weight that doesn't factor.

To compare what you are saying on the same level.
Pro w/PA 1100- $25k
PC w/turbo - $17.5k (going to kill the pro but the pro may be a little more fun in the trees) then add $7.5K worth of lightweight stuff or whatever and its going to kill the PA 1100 pro hands down.

But if spending that much, put the parts you want in wherever you want and be done with it. Hell they just as well build a custom chassis better than the rest that fits the motor/drive train you want.

D
Feb 28, 2011
BC, Canada
If going light weight that doesn't factor.

To compare what you are saying on the same level.
Pro w/PA 1100- $25k
PC w/turbo - $17.5k (going to kill the pro but the pro may be a little more fun in the trees) then add $7.5K worth of lightweight stuff or whatever and its going to kill the PA 1100 pro hands down.

But if spending that much, put the parts you want in wherever you want and be done with it. Hell they just as well build a custom chassis better than the rest that fits the motor/drive train you want.

I realize it doesn't factor if we are just talking weight. I was just comparing the sleds weaknesses though and the mods that could fix them. Cats weaknesses (weight and to a much lesser degree, handling) would have been addressed with the CF and your own mods. Throw the PA 1100 in the Pro and its weakness is addressed. (Power/Reliability)

You said go the CF route and the mods you did to your own sled and it'll be a better sled with a real motor. My only point with the above scenario was you can't really compare a $30,000 mod sled to a stock Pro. Of course it's going to be a much better sled when you have that kinda money into it.

Anyways, like I said... either sled would be completely awesome! If only I was rich, I'd probably buy both! lol.

W

WKR

Nov 27, 2007
western canada
I realize it doesn't factor if we are just talking weight. I was just comparing the sleds weaknesses though and the mods that could fix them. Cats weaknesses (weight and to a much lesser degree, handling) would have been addressed with the CF and your own mods. Throw the PA 1100 in the Pro and its weakness is addressed. (Power/Reliability)

You said go the CF route and the mods you did to your own sled and it'll be a better sled with a real motor. My only point with the above scenario was you can't really compare a $30,000 mod sled to a stock Pro. Of course it's going to be a much better sled when you have that kinda money into it.

Anyways, like I said... either sled would be completely awesome! If only I was rich, I'd probably buy both! lol.

This post was sorta a modding for dummies guide (cat only) as too what is available out there to spend your money on. I understand everyone does not have $30000 to spend on a sled, but the reality in canada is that many do, and do! I would love to be the guy who helps them make the best decision based on what they are looking to accomplish. Mine was $30000 but my shop can build one the same weight without all the bells and whistles for $25000. I see dozens of guys spend $15000 on a sled then another $3000-5000 n accesaries that are more conveniance orietated ie, covers, add on trinkets, cosmetic addtions, tracks and small perforamacne mods. They are $20000 into there stock sled or for another $5000 into one of the coolest sleds goin'. I already know what your thinking,"who in there right mind is spending $20000 on a stock sled"? It happens and with great frequency in my neck of the woods. I just believe that the manufacturers are not meeting there potentials, thus we exceed it in our quest to have the optimimum ride.

Yes you cannot compare a stock pro to $30000 sled, if you could, then everyone on this side of the planet would be saddled on a pro. oohhh! that just sent shivers up my spine!

Don't get me wrong poo, doo and cat are all on a pretty level playing field. I am just trying to stack the odds in favour of CAT, as i happen to depend on them for my lively hood. I hope poo get there sh$t together and combine the carbon chassey with there 2013's. i would love to see a 360lb dry chassey, raise the bar. I happen to know of a chassey that will hopefully hit the snow 2014 that is 300lbs dry. I also know of one that is hitting the snow by the end of the month that is 190lbs, very cool.

JustBoostIt

Lifetime Membership
CF side panels are kind of a waste of money on Cats, even Kevin says so. If your running a full vented panel there isn't much left.

As far as the belt drive you know who is first in line for that......

You will lose reverse, and have to build a oil bag.

Last edited:

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I don't see where you are getting the $32000 for the 1100t? That's not $16,000 worth of add ons. Where is the labor hours for the two 2-stroke sleds.

W

WKR

Nov 27, 2007
western canada
I don't see where you are getting the $32000 for the 1100t? That's not $16,000 worth of add ons. Where is the labor hours for the two 2-stroke sleds.

16200 for ltd
4500 for nbextech skid
1200 for track
1200 for hood
400 vented side panels
100 tunnel bad
500 hid headlight
500 intake
650 boondocker
400 roll over valve
150 post forward
500 slp skis
500 for clutching
200 stomp seat
100 different rear wheel kit
400 hindle exhaust
250 light weight battery
the list goes on.

thats 27000 in parts, almost 35 hours labour 110 and hour plus tax. I am sure i missed some little add on stuff as well. i am not just making this Sh$t up.

Last edited:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I know your not making it up, the amount of time I put into just thinking out the process of my sled and then doing it for the first time,,,,, I would have been better off working those hrs and buying parts. To bad no one makes the parts though, at least not yet.

As far as I am concerned, if the cat still has the fat a$$ body and boards I would rather take a stock pro (or my sled) for the kind of riding I do, it would be nice most of the time but when I need skinny there is no replacement.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
the fibre of our family would be carbon...lol..one could be named carbon fibre..the other carbon dioxide..the other carbon dating..carbon paper...carbon emissions...heck just give me one of those sleds and i will shut up..im starting to feel and act like Charlie Sheen..

W

WKR

Nov 27, 2007
western canada
thanks

thanks to everyone who has been putting there thoughts here, its great to see where the bulk of peoples interests lay and the trends occuring in this sport. I fight everyday with what to do next. I will be getting this carbon chassey fitted with a cutler 950 and running a 75hp shot of nos through it. I will go on record saying that this carbon chassey with a dialed in cutler 950 on a 75hp shot of nos will run with most anything boosted out there, 2 or 4 stroke! no a 75hp shot will not be harmful to cutlers 950 motor. This should give a real 230-250hp at elevation. Watch for it next fall at the shows then on the hills. enjoy the rest of yours seasons, plenty left.

M

mike_s

Jan 19, 2012
Ashton, Idaho
well thats being a pretty pessimistic rider if ya look at a bent tunnel verses a broken one..like isn;t the possibilities of either reletively remote for us average guys especially if were boondockers..??

And i could pack the carbon fiber sled out on my shoulders with a good pair of snowshoes...you have to hire a helicopter to get the aluminun sled out..
See how the views can go back and forth..??

Me i would go carbon fibre..im getting old..i still have to haul wood into the house after the ride..

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not trying to rag on anyones product, or step on anyones toes, just throwing an alternative perspective out there. I know I personally have rode my fair share of broken sleds back out to the truck. One instance comes directly to mind when I had a very hard landing, resulting in a crumpled tunnel right at all four suspension mount points. As it was I was able to limp home with a bent tunnel. However I firmly believe that if I was riding a carbon tunnel that day I would have been hiking out or 2-upping with a buddy because the carbon would have broken and splintered. there are those among us that will take a certain amount of added weight for strength and a little redundancy. Not that aluminum is stronger, but it is however a little more forgiving as far as staying in one piece after an impact. But for those who Love to ride the trees, boondock and generally don't have to have something that is able to be rolled, flown, rode hard, dismounted mid air, run into things and generally just beaten like a dead horse and still rode home, Carbon is a way better choice than most other materials out there

glassman

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2003
Hinton, Alberta
I have always been a believer of lightweight in the mountains. Lighter is better for sure, as long as you dont sacrifice strength. That being said, when you cant get lightweight, guys will throw horsepower to compromise. The trend seems to be shifting more to safer, more technical riding and you cant always use, or need the big horsepower there. Nice work with, what I consider to be the ultimate combination, lightweight and reliability.

Premium Features