• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 XP 154 Steering Need Help

Did this help?

• Yes

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
B

BlackSummit

Nov 27, 2007
Great Falls Montana
I have adjusted the shocks up down and my steering is still hard. Right now I have the center shock all the way out and the ski shocks are also all the way out. Still really hard to steer. I have Simmons skis if that matters. This setup is the best I've had but still hard. The track is a 154 does that have an effect on it? Please help.

Last edited:
W

Wyoming T/A

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Sep 26, 2006
Powell,Wyoming
the pressure in the shocks will only effect in bumps when the shock is cycling up and down--we set the ski shocks at the lightest and the front track shock fairly stiff and the limiter 1 hole from the longest-- this will take pressure of the skis--simmons are pretty agressive at slow speeds--give it a try

B

BlackSummit

Nov 27, 2007
Great Falls Montana
The ski shock are turned as loose as they will go. That being the 1 setting. The center shock is loosened all the way out. At one point I moved the limiter strap one hole. sitting on my garage floor there was slack in the limiter strap. Is that what you want me to do? Then am I suppose to tighten the center shock spring. We have done nothing with shock pressure just adjusting the springs on the shocks.

Draxxus

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2009
vancouver
i had troubles at first and yes they are alot harder to steer than the revs but if u tilt your risers back enough u can get enough leverage to make it turn with ease..... just ride it and play with it u will find the G spot.

D
Oct 19, 2003
Rapid City, South Dakota
I bought an 08 163 X for my wife and I thought the same thing. The steering is brutal!! What the hell!! I have played with the suspension and limiter strap with very little gain. I did put Simmons on also. That was a wash on steering effort. I moved the front arm on the rear suspension down and back using the stock backer plate and just turning it over and that helped more than anything, but still way too hard for a "new" sled.

B

BlackSummit

Nov 27, 2007
Great Falls Montana
Wyoming, I set it up this AM and plan on riding Thursday will let everyone know if it improves or is still hard. I tightened the center shock all but maybe an inch of threads most of it I did by hand so there wasn't any pressure on the spring at all. This was sitting on the garage floor.

I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
I rode my buddies 08 xp x on saturday last weekend and it was like riding a brick with railroad ties for ski's compared to my 06 rev. much harder and choppier over the mougels and threw turns. it seemed his handel bars were a little far forward for my likeing and for turning the ski's. i had my 06 bars a little far forward at first and did not like the leverage point for puttin it on its side or for turning threw a corner. moved them back just a little bit and it made all the difference. still didn't like the ride of the xp on the trail. it was really hard and choppy vs my 06. my 06 felt like a cadillac when i got back on it. the xp is a nice ride threw the pow!

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Rode all Sunday with front skid shock removed due to broken shock mount. This is a 154 with Simmons ski's. The point I am making here is that the front shock in the rear suspension is too short to provide enough lift to make the sled steering feel light. This is why on the 2010 models, this shock will be longer, to give the required lift. If you want to reduce ski pressure, you must lower the front swing arm mount be 7/8" in the tunnel. The short shock is the main reason so many are complaining about rear sag. The front shock is supposed to share the load with the back and being so short, it is not which ovrloads the rear. If there was adequate pressure from the front shock, I would have really noticed lots of difference from stock when I removed the shock all together. Well it was harder to steer but not much. For thoses guys who simply let the limiter out, your not getting much lift as the shock will be fully extended way before the strap tightens.

Why is my shock mount broken? Because before lowering the swing arm, I tried moving the shock in the rail to get more lift. I over-did it and the shock was bottomming which damaged the mount.

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
dont forget when you get the front all jacked up for easy steering its gunna be poop your pants scary on the steep hills.

B

BlackSummit

Nov 27, 2007
Great Falls Montana
Going from an 02 Summit to this XP my shorts are already full of poop on the steep hills. So now you are saying it will be worse. Maybe I'll put up with hard steering.

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
try it and let us know:)i cant keep the 154 front end down when it gets steep.
teth-air those spindle spacers are cool.that helps steering forsure..

Last edited:
W

Wyoming T/A

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Sep 26, 2006
Powell,Wyoming
This is confusing.. you say you adjust the shock soft or hard. Are you changing the pressure in the shock or are you adjusting the spring on the shock?

front ski shocks soft as they go on the spring pressure---basically you are letting the weight on the front of the sled rest on the front track suspension --you can turn our steering on a sled setting on the concrete floor with 1 finger--

Premium Features