• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Trenchy Shredder suspention help

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
I find my '24 Shredder DS 4100 trenches like mad. It looses momentum in a climb more than I feel it should and I have a real hard time in good snow stopping on anything but a downhill without burying it.

Any setups recommendations out there that have worked for you?

I'm going to loosen the front skid shock off so the spring is almost free today to see if that helps at all.

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
You’ll need to make adjustments to the rear track shock. Probably the limiter strap as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I assume your limit strap is in 2 if you haven't touched it. You could go to 3 and try that. If it was mine it would be in 1 which wouldn't help your cause but i hate heavy handling sleds. I yhink part of what you are fighting, and hard to overcome, is the lynx is so heavy. I had an re. I would bet it was about the heaviest mountain sled out there by far and it's a 154. Probably 20 or 25 pounds heavier than yours. I had big guage. All of its extra weight was on the back in the track frame. You combine that scenario with the steeper approach angle and a 3 inch track that digs and really hooks up and it's the meal you get with those ingredients. I think they need that extra inch of track width to balance the weight but ive never been a fan of 16 wide. There is a reason why they've had t motion, flex edge and 2 inches narrower over the years. I would love to see a side by side comparison of yours and a 24 165 freeride.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Check your owners manual for suspension setup tips, loosening the front shock I think will give you the opposite effect you are looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

E
Dec 19, 2007
Lessen the trenching.... Soften the front track spring so the track will flatten out and allow the track to climb on top of the snow instead of digging down through it, leave the rear soft to mid, not super hard, and change the primary spring to something that isn't so buzzy and just blows a hole with the track before you go anywhere. Those came with a 170-350 spring this year (for some dumb reason), try a 100/350 or 150/350 spring and it will lower your engagement and be able to walk out of a hole rather than dig it deeper.

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
Yesterday was better. Way less trench, and better take off from stopped.

Slacked off the front skid shock until the spring was just loose. Roughly only about 1/8" of preload. I was expecting to have more adjustment than that.

I really think the engagement is way too high too. I was thinking ibackshift, but if I can just get the right engement via proper spring that might be my best option.

duncan76

Lifetime Membership
Aug 16, 2013
central 509

Slacked off the front skid shock until the spring was just loose. Roughly only about 1/8" of preload. I was expecting to have more adjustment than that.

I really think the engagement is way too high too. I was thinking ibackshift, but if I can just get the right engement via proper spring that might be my best option.
Just get the kit you'll be way happier especially if you gear down same time.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
best option is to get that iBackshift clutch kit. definite improvement in performance in addition to a low engagement.

Y

Hi F_ast, did you loosen both top and front track shock. Not sure if the RE and the DS have the same set up? Thanks

IMG_7712.jpeg

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
Can’t have a mogul masher and a non trencher without doing adjustments all day
Mine is a DS. I was hoping for a little better Deep snow characteristics out of the box. I'm not completely unsatisfied as the sled does work good.
Hi F_ast, did you loosen both top and front track shock. Not sure if the RE and the DS have the same set up? Thanks
Hey Yakusa,

Pretty sure the RE and DS have similar setup but different shock valving. Not sure on spring rates.

But so far, I have justed loosened the front spring. With the sled on its side, I slacked it off until the spring was loose, then added a 1/4 turn to hold it.

It was -30 the last days I rode in Revy, so I didn't adjust the rear yet or the limiter strap. I'm back sledding on the 20th, and will play with it more then.

Y
Mine is a DS. I was hoping for a little better Deep snow characteristics out of the box. I'm not completely unsatisfied as the sled does work good.
Hey Yakusa,

Pretty sure the RE and DS have similar setup but different shock valving. Not sure on spring rates.

But so far, I have justed loosened the front spring. With the sled on its side, I slacked it off until the spring was loose, then added a 1/4 turn to hold it.

It was -30 the last days I rode in Revy, so I didn't adjust the rear yet or the limiter strap. I'm back sledding on the 20th, and will play with it more then.
Great, thanks for letting me know. I appreciate it and have fun!

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Mine trenched like crazy with the stock suspension .... I only dinked with the stock shocks for one ride and decided they weren't gonna work for me. I put a set of Exit shocks (X1 front X2 rear) and it cured the trenching issue .... bare in mind I'm about 315 lbs ride weight plus a tunnel bag, so I definatley needed a heavier shock ....

Premium Features