• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09+ frount end or not

C

closed

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 15, 2008
Lake Stevens Wa.
Nice informational post. We need more testing though, anybody else want to ghost ride theres into the wood for the sake of greater good? J/k. Good info and looks like a held up well without damage to the bulkhead. Just curious was it a straight on hit or at angle. If straight on was a good result.

Here is the sequence of events.....No, this was not planned!:eek:

The downhill turn was almost Sweeeeet! ??:(

Gold Creek - 251.jpg Gold Creek - 252.jpg Gold Creek - 253.jpg Gold Creek - 255.jpg Gold Creek - 259.jpg Gold Creek - 261.jpg Gold Creek - 263.jpg

C

closed

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 15, 2008
Lake Stevens Wa.
And the ending result! Only damage was to the "Ballistic Bumper" with a long down hill straight on hit...:D

Gold Creek - 268.jpg Gold Creek - 269.jpg Gold Creek - 271.jpg Gold Creek - 272.jpg untitled event - 37.jpg untitled event - 38.jpg P4040256.jpg

Last edited:

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
Here's my stuck throttle ghost ride.

Feb22001.jpg

Feb22003.jpg

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Wow... good thread nobody is beatchin and moanin......

Another vote for the Fastrax kit w/bumper, mine is getting one this summer!!!!!!!

Puttin my Skinz bumper and modified float plate on the wifes sled.... until she see's mine and desides she wants the same... :rolleyes:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I would go with the 2009 front end plastics & the COBE, or SPG bumper

OR the SPG or Treedog bumper on your stock bodywork (2005-2008 IQ-RMK).

You will need to delete the radiator on your sled to run the bumper.

The TCP bumper for the 2008 and earlier is ALUMINUM.

I have been in constant contact with Max, the owner of TCP and Dusty, the fabricator of the TCP bumpers since before they were offered.. they have never been made of anything other than aluminum.

The TCP and some other aftermarket bumpers are like "subframes" that actually help to strengthen the bulhead.

It has been beaten to death on here about the bumpers "sacrificing" themselves to protect the bulkhead.

Not really a valid point, IMO.

From experience with this chassis and helping with the design of bumpers for this specific chassis... If you hit something hard enough to bend the bulkhead with good aftermarket bumper... you would have taken out the bulkhead anyway and much more with it.

If you centerpunch a tree or rock with the IQ-RMK you will do MUCH more damage to the sled than just replacing a bumper or nose pan. Count on a new pipe, muffler, hood hinge, fenders, bumper, nosepan, grille hood, motor mounts and other items that get bashed. I have seen blocks get split from hard impacts that shoved the pipe so far back and so hard that engine gets crammed into the steering post. Bulkheads at $1000 are cheap compared to engines and ALL the other bodywork.

F-Bomb:The 09 bumper assembly is what we've been asking for so that resolves the front end issues but you'll still crack your side fenders if you are an aggressive free style rider. They poke out and are the first thing that hits so there is nothing you can do about it other then don't land like that!

IMO, protect your investment with a good bumper. The TCP, CO-BE, SPG, and Treedog bumpers are a big improvement in the sled that the factory cannot afford to install on the sled.

I have personally put my sled(s) into trees with the TCP bumper (and without). NO damage to the bulkhead and relatively no damage to the other parts (scratches and gouges from branches and a cracked headlight from a branch).

According to Mike VanAmburg and other chassis "gurus" out there.. the IQ-RMK is, hands down, the strongest bulkhead out there... the bumper will only help to protect the sled and your pocketbook.

Also, the stock 2009/10 Polaris bumper uses flimsy bumper mounts (tabs) to the bulkhead. I have seen these tear out and allow the straigh ends of the bumper to "skewer" the bulkhead. Also, the stock 2009/10 polairs RMK front bumper is little more than a thin walled aluminum with the ends crimped flat to join to the tabs.

IMO, the stock 2009 bumper is little more that a U-shaped "grab handle" that will deflect the hit to either side of the bumper and take out other plastic and a-arms. No belly pan protection is offered with the 2009 bumper.

BTW... also Engineering degree with 25 yrs experience in design and fab. Super Dave3 is one of the best Polaris Master techs I've met.

Here's some good threads.
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76929
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78621

Here is a photo of my old 900 with the TCP bumper on it... polished up. Obviously aluminum.
DSC01480.jpg

DSC01481-1.jpg

Photo of the TCP bumper prior to bodywork install (Rideguy)
march052008bluebird086pg2.jpg

Pic of IQ-RMK bulkhead from bottom.
BULKHEAD-3.jpg

Heres what happens to a 900 with a LIGHT bump into a tree...
KPssled.jpg

Premium Features