• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Modernize my 2007 M8 162

C
Jan 14, 2020
I just picked up a 2007 m8 for a buddy that used to ride..... a 2005 m8.

It is a 162 with the loooooong ass boards that run from front to all the way back. It has some aftermarket boards on the front part, what can I/can't I chop off the rear half of the tunnel to skinny it up? I can tig and fab parts and whatnot since I am now realizing no one has parts for this machine anymore.

Basically trying to mod it to look something like skinz airframe boards or just the 2009 162 sno pro. Does it just need a rear set of braces and bumper and I can chop off the sides?

TIA

Elkaholic4life

Twin Peaks
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2013
Portland, OR
I started riding on an 07 M8. I had a lot of fun on that sled. The steering was so heavy my shoulders hurt at the end of the day. Probably because i sucked. My sled had some aftermarket inserts in the front of the running boards, you cut the stock running boards so the snow would fall out. I have nothing more than that other than I straightened and tiged an aluminum bumper on a Peterbilt today. Good luck :)

C
Jan 14, 2020
I started riding on an 07 M8. I had a lot of fun on that sled. The steering was so heavy my shoulders hurt at the end of the day. Probably because i sucked. My sled had some aftermarket inserts in the front of the running boards, you cut the stock running boards so the snow would fall out. I have nothing more than that other than I straightened and tiged an aluminum bumper on a Peterbilt today. Good luck :)
Yes it has front board inserts like you are describing.

No full length board options? I can make some it will just take time...

Elkaholic4life

Twin Peaks
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2013
Portland, OR
I wish I had something for you but I don't. I rode the M8 for 2 years then bought a 2013 Polaris Pro. My shoulders thanked me. I sold the M8 to a buddy. he still has it. i hop on it every couple of years. LoL. I think I like it because it was my first sled

C
Jan 14, 2020
I wish I had something for you but I don't. I rode the M8 for 2 years then bought a 2013 Polaris Pro. My shoulders thanked me. I sold the M8 to a buddy. he still has it. i hop on it every couple of years. LoL. I think I like it because it was my first sled
Ya I have two axys 850s but my buddies budget and whatnot was 3k... so found this thing with new track, SLP everything, pretty low miles... he ran an M8 on the slednecks crew in 2008 or 09 or something and loved it, hated my rev, so this is what I bought him.

I dont know why but this cat feels heavy as a tank to me. The motor looks suuuuper low in the chassis, is that part of the reason why it's so hard to get on edge in the garage? The springs are super clamped down im guessing we need to loosed the spring collars and it will lay over easier?

The engine tub and ski stance seems super wide too, there an a-arm kit to skinny up the front? (I've never modded sleds this old) everything else we have is a '16 or newer

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
The 2007s gained significant weight over the 2006 model...larger engine overall compared to the 6/700 platform used in 2005-2006, heavier exhaust, reverse in the diamond drive gear case, etc. Can drop the front arm mount location in the tunnel by 3/4". The hole is in the reinforcement plate on the inside just need to drill it through. Alternative Impact makes a 36.5" a-arm kit (stock is 40"), but requires shorter shocks and shortening of the tie rods.

As for the tunnel you can put all the rear tunnel parts and cooler from a 2009-2011 Mseries on it. I did that with my 2005 M7 (see photo for reference). Can get expensive to use all new OEM parts. If you can find a 2009-2011 tunnel from a parted out sled would be cheaper, or fabricate the existing tunnel to look like that yourself. Key points on the fabrication would be to make sure the rear bumper ties all the way back into the rear suspension drop bracket. BDX had a rear bumper/running board kit to do this, but didn't tie the bumper in and some of them cracked the tunnel as a result. Also need a reinforcement to tied the running board edge to the top of the tunnel.

Skinz and B&M used to make full tube boards, but Skinz went under and B&M doesn't have them on their website anymore. Van Amburg might still make boards and a rear bumper setup for the tunnel to do what you want. Their website is down, but they are still up and running according to their facebook page.

M7_1.jpg

TurboSportTSi

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 16, 2022
Lewistown, MT
Mine has pretty aggressive board inserts with "CTC" cut into them. I think they are great...tons of grip. They are cut and have a reinforcement/end cap like a modern running board, which I assume was part of the insert kit.

It also has a rear bumper with long side reinforcement plates to match. This has "VE" engraved into it.

I'm a new sledder and these company names don't ring any bells for me, so I assume they've both gone under, but maybe this'll give you some ideas.

Following for more ideas as I have the exact same sled. Anyone know if the 2-wheel kit for the rear axle is worth it? Easier to pull over and/or keep there? I have a parts list somewhere that would put all 4 wheels between the skid rails but trying not to throw money at the sled unless the benefit is substantial.

20230117_180626.jpg

C
Jan 14, 2020
Those ctc are what was on his sled. But his is the model with the giant wrap-around boards. I had some spare proclimb cat boards in the shop, he made them fit by bending some of the board parts with a big wrench and tie down straps.

Next is we're making a bumper setup. Van amburg didn't get back with me. I have old polaris chassis extension from crracing Canada that is getting slapped on.

IMG_20230116_132158_168.jpg IMG_20230116_132155_737.jpg

C
Jan 14, 2020
Yes the 2 wheel kit helps a ton. It takes an hour or two to install, I recommend having a buddy come help hold opposite side skid bolts though else it would have sucked to install.

TurboSportTSi

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 16, 2022
Lewistown, MT
Those ctc are what was on his sled. But his is the model with the giant wrap-around boards. I had some spare proclimb cat boards in the shop, he made them fit by bending some of the board parts with a big wrench and tie down straps.

Next is we're making a bumper setup. Van amburg didn't get back with me. I have old polaris chassis extension from crracing Canada that is getting slapped on.
Those look good!

Mine probably had the full length boards as well, but someone chopped them and added the little diagonal bracket at the back...which isn't very securely mounted to the end of the running boards, lol.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Some people thought the braking on the 2.25" PC wasn't very good, but I never had any issues with it. The 2.6" PC is a big improvement over what you have, but it also costs more.

C
Jan 14, 2020
Van amburg literally saw my fb message asking for a bumper kit. No worries tho I found an old crc Canada extension with a bumper we're gonna make fit.

He's been riding a bunch in his hometown and the boards alone have helped so much. Bumper and clutching rebuild should get him where he wants to be.

Buying a new track that costs about as much as the sled did isn't an option haha, but im sure it works way better.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
The 2.25 is a good track. 2.6 is a better deep snow track.
Look for some used deals.
I was happy with the 2.25 but the 2.6 wasn't available back then.
Some buddies put the 2.6 on their M's, and it definitely improved wheelie fun!

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

TurboSportTSi

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 16, 2022
Lewistown, MT
Van amburg literally saw my fb message asking for a bumper kit. No worries tho I found an old crc Canada extension with a bumper we're gonna make fit.

He's been riding a bunch in his hometown and the boards alone have helped so much. Bumper and clutching rebuild should get him where he wants to be.

Buying a new track that costs about as much as the sled did isn't an option haha, but im sure it works way better.
My CPC (thanks for the correction, @boondocker97) board inserts filled up with wet, heavy snow today like they never had before. Couldn't get any traction on them, which made things interesting...

I got to thinking about the ProClimb boards you installed and wished I had them! They look like they'd clear snow WAY better than the CPC inserts. Good choice there.

Premium Features