• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

TCP Bumpers???

M

metallicat

Nov 27, 2007
Rugby, ND
Ordered a new Assault and sure don't think there is going to be much protection with that front bumper. does anyone have any good pics of a TCP bumper on some IQsor RMKs? and some info on how they are to install?? They seem like they look pretty good, but i've never seen too many of them. One thing i know i am putting on for sure is a skid plate. had a run in with a rock last year and i think that would've saved me. Thanks Guys!!!

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I've been in contact with Max at TCP... he will have a bumper/protection-plate for the 2009's by the time the snow flies next season for the 2009's.

It will fit with the new plastic bodywork/nosepan.

Also, SkinzProtective gear will have thier Float plates, available in Red, black, blue, white for the 2009 front ends... nice thick plastic and this will definately be the best skid plate out there!!

www.skinsprotectivegear.com

Not on their website yet, bu they have a lot of nice things including 2" , 4", 6", 8", & 10" rise bars with mountain grabstrap mounts built in.. perfect for the new Dragons and Assaults that dont have a pivot style steering post

For 2009, the nosepans are cheap... less than $30 and the grille/hinge is $16... not bad!!

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
DSC01481-1.jpg

DSC01480.jpg

DSC01478-1.jpg

1-3.jpg

Last edited:
M
Nov 26, 2007
Okotoks
Mountainhorse, do you know when TCP will start production on their bumpers for 05/06 rmks? I heard they stopped for the season and would like to plan for next year.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
I'm hoping to put one of those bumpers on my sled this summer... The back windows on trucks can be just as dangerous as trees :eek:

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
Pictures are good of the TCP but mine looks factory with no snow pushing/gobbling flat spots. It was done by Carl's on a 2008 D8 and it is very sanitary and floats the way it should. The recommended TCP installation looks like a Caterpillar D8 with the blade down in comparison. I am not sure why they would want to do it that way but the Carl's installation is much better.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Also very easy to get a great "sanitary" install ...remove the nose pan/grille, install the TCP bumper and cap it with the Skinz Protective Gear (SPG) float plate to tie both fenders together... summer project for me.

This pic shows the float plate on a stock bumper setup. You should be able to see the concept here. I have done a trial fit-up with the TCP bumper, SPG plate, untrimed fenders, no nose pan and no aluminum plate... weight is a wash. ..and everything will work with only minor clearance trimming where the float plate meets the bumper tubes. The TCP bash plate backs up the float plate directly and will take a considerable hit and will take away any concerns of less floatation. The 2009's seem to do well in the powder with the very mimimal nose cone and exposed front suspension.... time will tell if the floatation issue is a theory or fact...I'd like to know as well.

Polaris_IQ_Float_Plate_-_Side[1].JPG

http://www.sledsolutions.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=66_102&products_id=372

www.skinzprotectivegear.com

Last edited:
O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
Pictures are good of the TCP but mine looks factory with no snow pushing/gobbling flat spots. It was done by Carl's on a 2008 D8 and it is very sanitary and floats the way it should. The recommended TCP installation looks like a Caterpillar D8 with the blade down in comparison. I am not sure why they would want to do it that way but the Carl's installation is much better.

I went with the TCP recommendations on installation.
I haven't noticed any problems with flotation what so ever.
I do think the Carls install is much cleaner (I also like what bagger did).

I do know that the bumper saved my azz on more than one occasion this season.

P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
i have one and love it. i installed my by the instructions from TCP. so it is pretty open. the front end does collect quite a bit of snow in the trailing arms but not sure how worse the problem is compared to not cutting the side panels out. i haven't notice any difference in the floating either, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't float better if i had kept the the side panels. some complain at the cost of the bumper but it is well worth the money. the stock bumpers are nothing short of junk and completely useless and i broke mine unloading it out of the back of my truck. it caught the tail gate as i was lowering it down. shattered all of the plastic. i now have zero fear of running over or into anything "reasonable".

pv

R
Apr 4, 2008
Fairbanks, Alaska
I installed a TCP bumper and chopped the fenders on my D7 just in time for the last ride of the year. As I was pulling the nose pan I discovered a ten pound block of ice that had formed in there. With the new bumper in place and riding in crusty, sticky snow there was maybe a pound of snow holding on to the bumper. When trying to carve there might have been more drag but this was very crusty snow that was not much fun to ride in. :beer;

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
Stay away from the trees, or learn to ride between them and quit complaining that it costs money to fix 'em up.

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
MH, the installation cost me about $300. It was worth it. I can't get pictures right now due to the sled being in a trailer at a farm several miles away and me recuperating from hip surgery. You might give Tom H. a call to see if the took any photographs of the installation after it was completed. If you are in the Boise area I could show it to you too.

By the way, I have been reading your posts regarding the track switch issue. Have you found anyone that offers a chaincase roll kit for the Dragons? I really want to switch tracks for next season (Camoplast 162" x 2.5" preferred) but I don't want to push the clearance issue too far. I had the referenced track on my 2004 Edge with a Holz Rolled Chaincase and it worked very well. They do vibrate and they are loud but it is all worth it for the preformance that you got from the track.

Premium Features